Missing Holy Days of Obligation because no means of transportation

If you are ill then you are excused from the obligation to attend mass.

Yes,i was surprised,and asked him the second time Fr i was sick,but he still insisted i confess .

Right!, but do you have to confess it? ,i would like to have an answer probably from the the church teaching or anyone can throw some light on it,the priest asked me to confess it,even though ,i was sick for genuine reasons, i do not know the reason but here is my guess, may be for healing or for the shear value of the sacrament of confess, it would do good of the soul.

A lot of people have taken that warning for sure, and I haven’t hitch hiked since the 70’s. In fact, over the past 25 years, I think I’ve only seen like 3 hitchhikers. None of them were going that far, a lot of people I think really hesitate to pick them up nowadays too.

But you have been given your answer, by means of quotations from the Catechism. Confession is for confessing sins. Missing Mass because of illness or an impossible situation is not a sin. Therefore what is there to confess?

It is not our place to suggest that a minor child disobey parents, seek to walk or take public transportation, and certainly not to suggest hitchhiking.

NO! We do not confess non-sins. that can lead to a malformed conscience.

You can’t assume he does. Every family situation is different. I was not allowed to work a part time job during high school when school was in session. My parents’ position was that school was my job and grades came first.

Because of family situation-- visitation rights of non-custodial parent-- I was also not allowed/able to work during holidays and summer because I had to split my time between parents who lived in different places.

These were the rules for me. I didn’t work until college.

The OP doesn’t drive, so parents may not want to haul the OP to a job. There may be many reasons for the OP’s current situation. It’s not our place to second-guess parents in this situation.

Indeed.

Minors shouldn’t disobey their parents. My comment was more about how things have changed. My own parents had no problem with me walking, bussing it or hitchhiking back in the day. Times of course have changed since then

St. Alfonso Liguori said that if you live further away from church than a fifteen minute donkey ride, you are excused. And that was in the tough old days.

Obviously you should go if you can reasonably do it. But if you can’t, make a spiritual communion and be patient.

And do not be too hard on your parents, as laborers who are too tired have also always been excused from the Mass obligation, just like people who are sick.

RE: confessing Mass absences, I think this is a confusion of two things. In areas where people live close to churches and see their priests every day, it was usual to ask your priest to be excused from Mass, every time. (And often at Confession, because you were already talking to the priest.) In areas where priests were not living close, it was more customary to get permissions well ahead of time, or to be told by the priests to assume you were excused in all similar cases. Neither way is right or wrong; it is just custom.

If someone does not have the condition of scruples, and wants to know if X or Y is a sin, there is no harm in bringing it up at Confession. If it turns out it is not a sin, it doesn’t count as confessing it; and your heart will be lightened. But if you do have scruples, obviously you should do whatever your confessor has told you, just like following a doctor’s prescription.

But it was wrong. There was/is no need to ‘ask permission’ in cases where no obligation exists because of illness and so on, and the priest should not have been exerting his authority like that. It is infantilising the laity and not encouraging them to think things out and develop their conscience.

I wasn’t criticizing; just trying to be helpful. Sometimes kids are able to do small chores for neighbors, etc. Getting a little money could mean independence to a certain degree.

do you know anyone at your parish? No other kids whose parents do go? anyone you could ask to catch a ride with? Granted I don’t know where you live, how far from church you live or whether there are any other parishioners nearby but at my church we often are asked to help drive someone to church.

Good! Wasn’t sure what era you were traveling about in when you did this.

OP parents have not forbidden Mass attendance, simply are unable/unwilling to do the drive themselves.

It doesn’t look like it would be disobedient to go if other transport was available (other than hitchhiking of course)

Your 17 do u have a license can you drive. If your parents are to tired after work to take you to mass can you borrow the car to drive yourself.

Ask someone else from your parish youth group if they will pick you up.

If you cannot get there, you cannot get there.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.