Missing homily and intentions because of screaming baby - did I fulfill my obligation?

I went to Mass this morning, and missed most of the homily and the intentions because I was standing in the vestibule with my screaming 2-year-old brother. I’m concerned that I didn’t fulfill my Sunday obligation - can you help me out here?

You did fulfill your obligations - in more than one sense;):thumbsup:

I wonder if people who go to mass solely to fulfill an obligation are fulfilling their obligation. Not a joke. If the sole reason is to check a box rather than worship God and bond with Christ by receiving him, I wonder if those have fulfilled their obligation. Is that not just idolatry of a law or tradition?

I go to mass and miss most of mass due to infant/children- I’ve always assumed since the intention is there, it’s fulfilled. Is there something authoritative on this?

Our goal is usually to make it TO the homily!

Yes, absolutely. As a parent of three under the age of 5 years old, I often times feel as though I have not been to Mass because I am taking one to the potty, and then the other, and then leaving to nurse my third. As a parent of little ones, the fact that you go to Mass instead of staying home because the kids are too distracting means you more than fulfilled your Mass duty.

And in response to the person who posted about wondering if people who are going to fulfill their Mass duty are really fulfilling their Mass duty, I would say that is not of your concern. You should only be concerned with your attendance, attentiveness, and focus. That is all God will hold you accountable for. Not for the actions or inactions of others. :thumbsup:

I believe that you must be present (or attempt to be mentally present) for the Gospel. But remember, God knows if you are there for the right reason of not. Take it up with him in prayer!

As a mom who often attends Mass with just my kids since my husband often is away on military duty, I want to personally thank you from the bottom of my heart! You took your brother for your mom, you went beyond your obligation. You are to be commended and you will be blessed for that. Your parents must be proud to have you. I hope they realize how lucky they are.

If taking an upset child out counts against us, well I think I have missed my obligation most of the last 20 years.

I used to feel conflicted because I spent the Liturgy of the Word with the children in Children's Liturgy. I was the one proclaiming the gospel and leading the homily/discussion. I seldom got to hear the priest/deacon make the proclamation, nor hear what they had to say in homily.

I did this because my own toddler was a wild child who misbehaved when other parents were in charge. The only way I could keep her under control was keep her in my sight at all times.

I always hoped God was satisfied with this. I may not have obeyed the letter of the law, precisely, but I established for my children that I was committed to upholding the spirit of the law.

[quote="timeandeternity, post:1, topic:319985"]
I went to Mass this morning, and missed most of the homily and the intentions because I was standing in the vestibule with my screaming 2-year-old brother. I'm concerned that I didn't fulfill my Sunday obligation - can you help me out here?

[/quote]

Yes, you fulfilled your obligation.

[quote="Collins5, post:6, topic:319985"]
I believe that you must be present (or attempt to be mentally present) for the Gospel.

[/quote]

There is no such rule. The obligation is to attend Mass. Full stop.

You shoul talk this over with your pastor. Such worry is mislaced. Do you tend towards scrupulosity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.