Missing Mass in these conditions?

The weatherman predicted freezing rain in my area from 5-9 PM. This is when Mass is being celebrated, and my parents have decided that we should just skip it because of the possibly dangerous roads. However, I am very saddened that I will have to miss a Sunday Obligation at all, let alone today, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. I have tried contacting friends to ask whether they can drive me or not, but all of them have either not answered the phone or said that they can't. I'm distressed and I don't know what to do. Could any of you give advice?

a) Today is the 2nd Sunday of Advent. The IC is celebrated tomorrow, Dec 9, and it is not a holy day of obligation.

b) Obey your parents. Inability to travel due to weather conditions is a perfectly legitimate reason for missing Mass.

Stay safe, do not do something imprudent nor encourage your friends to be out driving in the bad weather.

Indeed.

The Church obligations are there to build our Spiritual
Bodies, not endanger our natural one, never mind anybody else's.

If driving is in any way unsafe.... Don't go.

ICXC NIKA.

While I agree in most part that one should not be obligated due to conditions, we used to live in ski country. We relished the idea of putting the kids in the car to drive a 16 mile curvy mountain road to a ski resort in the fresh powder or wind or ice. I would never consider telling someone they SHOULD go to Mass when they do not feel comfortable, but lets make sure that we are not doing some other activity.

I would expect Mass attendance to drop on bad weather days, but I would expect the sales at the mall to drop as well.:D

Thanks for all the good responses, guys. It turns out there's no way to avoid the bad weather, so (sadly) I'll just have to skip.

PS. I was unaware of the transfer if the IC falls on an Advent Sunday. Good to know.

While your desire to attend Mass is certainly admirable, the Lord and His Church both expect us to use our God-given common sense. Even if you weren't subject to your parents and able to drive, you would not be expected to endanger yourself to get to Mass in bad weather conditions.

I would suggest an informal Liturgy of the Word, including the following prayers:
[LIST=1]
*]Entrance Antiphon of the day.
*]Sign of the Cross.
*]Collect of the day.
*]Confiteor ("I confess to almighty God...").
*]"Lord, have mercy" invocations.
*]Outside Advent and Lent, the Gloria ("Glory to God in the highest...").
*]First reading of the day.
*]Psalm of the day.
*]Second reading of the day.
*]Gospel Acclamation of the day.
*]Gospel reading of the day.
*]Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed ("I believe in one God..."), or, during Lent and Easter, the Apostles' Creed ("I believe in God...").
*]Prayer of the Faithful (petitions for the needs of the Church, for public authorities, for the salvation of the whole world, for those oppressed by any need, and for the local community).
*]Act of Spiritual Communion (expressing a heartfelt desire to receive Our Lord).
*]Thanksgiving for all the good things God has done for you.
[/LIST]

[quote="JamesTheJust, post:5, topic:347521"]
Thanks for all the good responses, guys. It turns out there's no way to avoid the bad weather, so (sadly) I'll just have to skip.

PS. I was unaware of the transfer if the IC falls on an Advent Sunday. Good to know.

[/quote]

We are having hazardous weather in northern Illinois as I write this so we will have to skip Mass this evening also.:shrug:

[quote="AnonConfession, post:7, topic:347521"]
I would suggest an informal Liturgy of the Word, including the following prayers:
[LIST=1]
*]Entrance Antiphon of the day.
*]Sign of the Cross.
*]Collect of the day.
*]Confiteor ("I confess to almighty God...").
*]"Lord, have mercy" invocations.
*]Outside Advent and Lent, the Gloria ("Glory to God in the highest...").
*]First reading of the day.
*]Psalm of the day.
*]Second reading of the day.
*]Gospel Acclamation of the day.
*]Gospel reading of the day.
*]Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed ("I believe in one God..."), or, during Lent and Easter, the Apostles' Creed ("I believe in God...").
*]Prayer of the Faithful (petitions for the needs of the Church, for public authorities, for the salvation of the whole world, for those oppressed by any need, and for the local community).
*]Act of Spiritual Communion (expressing a heartfelt desire to receive Our Lord).
*]Thanksgiving for all the good things God has done for you.
[/LIST]

[/quote]

Liturgy of the Hours would work too and that is part of the formal liturgy for the day. By praying the LOTH (which can be done on-line if one doesn't have the books), one is participating in the official liturgy of the Church for that day, even if one can't participate in the Mass.

Similar question, I get Migraine headaches which often make me unable to leave home, is it ok to miss mass then? Also until i can drive is it wring to just attend Methodist services where the rest of my family go?

[quote="TStokes, post:10, topic:347521"]
Similar question, I get Migraine headaches which often make me unable to leave home, is it ok to miss mass then? Also until i can drive is it wring to just attend Methodist services where the rest of my family go?

[/quote]

Being ill is certainly a valid reason not to attend Mass.

If you are too ill to go to Mass, however, you would be too ill to go to Protestant service. Such services are in any case, not in any way a substitute for the Mass.

ICXC NIKA

[quote="GEddie, post:11, topic:347521"]
Being ill is certainly a valid reason not to attend Mass.

If you are too ill to go to Mass, however, you would be too ill to go to Protestant service. Such services are in any case, not in any way a substitute for the Mass.

ICXC NIKA

[/quote]

2 separate questions, my family is Methodist and i cant drive or transport myself to mass, so is it wrong to miss it until i get a license?

[quote="TStokes, post:12, topic:347521"]
2 separate questions, my family is Methodist and i cant drive or transport myself to mass, so is it wrong to miss it until i get a license?

[/quote]

How do you and your family get to the Methodist service?

My parents drive there, but our Methodist church is nowhere near the Catholic one two different towns in fact very rural area

[quote="TStokes, post:14, topic:347521"]
My parents drive there, but our Methodist church is nowhere near the Catholic one two different towns in fact very rural area

[/quote]

From your house how close in driving time is the Catholic Church?

Not entirely sure, im likley just gonna expidite my lisence training and join offically once i have my lisence and can be there

[quote="TStokes, post:16, topic:347521"]
Not entirely sure, im likley just gonna expidite my lisence training and join offically once i have my lisence and can be there

[/quote]

The reason I ask is once you become a Catholic would your parents not be prepared to drive you to Mass?

[quote="thistle, post:17, topic:347521"]
The reason I ask is once you become a Catholic would your parents not be prepared to drive you to Mass?

[/quote]

By the way I have a lot of respect for Methodists. I was a born and brought up Methodist before converting at the age of 44. In my whole life up to then I never heard any Methodist being anti-Catholic. My blood relatives had no problem with me converting. In my entire blood line that I can trace back to the late 1500's I am the only Catholic.

[quote="thistle, post:18, topic:347521"]
By the way I have a lot of respect for Methodists. I was a born and brought up Methodist before converting at the age of 44. In my whole life up to then I never heard any Methodist being anti-Catholic. My blood relatives had no problem with me converting. In my entire blood line that I can trace back to the late 1500's I am the only Catholic.

[/quote]

Well its harder to bring up leaving when your family has clergy in it

[quote="TStokes, post:19, topic:347521"]
Well its harder to bring up leaving when your family has clergy in it

[/quote]

Once you know the Catholic Church is the true one it is not so hard.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.