Missing Mass Question

I am in a dilemma. My French class is going on an overnight trip to Canada which includes Saturday and Sunday. So if I went there would be no way to get to Mass. I would sort of like to go on this trip, but I would be sad to miss Mass, and especially being that it’s a mortal sin and all…I am having trouble justifying going on this trip of it would cause me to sin. My mom thinks I should just skip Mass for it, but she really doesn’t understand that it’s a sin.

Is there any exception for going to Mass in a situation like mine? Any advice? I don’t know what to do. Practically the whole class is going. Why’d they have to schedule it like this?

Yes there are exceptions! Just ask your priest for a dispensation. I’m sure he will have not problem giving it to you.

Peace

You need to do two things:

1. Talk to your teachers and ask about attending Mass. It’s not like there are no Catholic Churches in Canada.

2. If your teacher cannot/will not make an accommodation for you to attend, speak to your priest and ask for a dispensation for this travel situation.

[quote="1ke, post:3, topic:304030"]
You need to do two things:

1) Talk to your teachers and ask about attending Mass. It's not like there are no Catholic Churches in Canada.

2) If your teacher cannot/will not make an accommodation for you to attend, speak to your priest and ask for a dispensation for this travel situation.

[/quote]

If it's a french trip, you could even try to look for a Mass in French. Might be an easier sell to the teacher.

Great advice!

:thumbsup:

Schools who organize weekend class trips have an obligation to make church attendance possible.

If you are going to French speaking areas of Canada, you should certainly visit Catholic Churches. They are central to the culture.

I agree with other posters…ask your teacher if you could attend a French mass (would be part of the French trip experience) - and if not, ask the pastor of your parish for a dispensation. (Note - only your geographical pastor can grant you a dispensation from your Sunday obligation - not just any priest).

My daughter had the same problem on a trip she took with her French class. She did ask about attending Mass but it was not possible because of schedule issues (and she couldn’t go on her own). Our pastor had no problem giving her a dispensation.

You aren’t going on this trpi for the purpose of missing Mass. If you are traveling with a group, you have constraints of schedule and transportation. Finally, if you are a minor, you have to follow the directions ofthe adult chaperones on the trip.

Ask first, then speak to your priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.