Missing Mass while on vacation

Ok, this might sound crazy, but we were in Disney World a few weeks ago.
We arrived late Saturday night and had a early morning Character breakfast on Sunday
Morning. We "could" have made the last Mass of Sunday but being in the land of the mouse and two children ages 10 and 8 the Parks won out.
We drove a 1100 miles to get there and we checked out the following Saturday morning for our trip home. The story is we missed two Sundays in a row.
I know missing Mass is a Sin, but is Two under the circumstances list above considered a
Mortal Sin? Do we need confession in order to receive communion?

Thanks

Mark

Missing mass without grave reason is a mortal sin. Does Disney count as a grave reason? I would probably say no. Do you feel bad about missing Mass while you were there? I would go to confession and mention it before taking Communion.

As Jesus said yesterday in the Gospel, “Let the one among you who is without sin
be the first to throw a stone at her”. How many of us have missed Mass because of a family vacation or other family obligations?

Ummm…I never cast a stone garn. OP asked a question and I answered. Would you have me lie and say “oh no its ok…i do it all the time” or tell him the correct teaching? Here ya go…hands your stone back to ya :wink:

[quote="garn9173, post:3, topic:319145"]
As Jesus said yesterday in the Gospel, "Let the one among you who is without sin
be the first to throw a stone at her". How many of us have missed Mass because of a family vacation or other family obligations?

[/quote]

Lots. But hopefully most of us know that we should take it to Confession too. Not being perfect does not mean that we don't have to do what it takes to get back into a state of grace.

[quote="Corki, post:5, topic:319145"]
Lots. But hopefully most of us know that we should take it to Confession too. Not being perfect does not mean that we don't have to do what it takes to get back into a state of grace.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Yes, it is a sin and yes you need to confess it.

We are never on vacation from God. And in Orlando there are plenty of options for attending Mass. One is excused from Mass when one has a serious reason-- illness, caring for the ill, necessity of work, and no way to get to a Mass, etc. A character breakfast is not a serious reason to miss mass, especially as you could have arranged to go to mass numerous other times.

You had total control over your own schedule, a car, and the internet at your disposal where you could have looked up mass times (including Sunday evening or Saturday evening options along your driving route there and Saturday evening or Sunday morning/evening on your driving route home).

Bottom line, talk to your pastor.

He ALSO said sin no more.

The number of us who have committed sins does not make something less of a sin.

As Jesus said yesterday in the Gospel, "Let the one among you who is without sin
be the first to throw a stone at her". How many of us have missed Mass because of a family vacation or other family obligations?

[/quote]

Umm..... He also says "go and sin no more."

We aren't stoning the OP. The reason that is presented doesn't seem that they had no chance to go. The OP even says they could have made the last Mass but decided not to because they traveled too far and the kids didn't want to leave the park.

I am not yet confirmed, I did not attend Mass yesterday as I was in London. I attended Mass every other day last week though, Sunday through to Friday. When I was in London I found the nearest Catholic Church and I went in sat down and prayed the Rosary for half an hour.

Isn’t the bolded just a tad over the top and uncalled for? Aren’t we all adults here? You mean to tell me that you HAVE NEVER, EVER missed Mass while out of town on vacation espcially at a place like Disney World?

I’ve never been to Orlando and to Disney World, but I can just imagine how hard it is to get around down there and to be honest, Mass would’ve probably been the last thing on my mind if i’m at that money gouging tourist trap.

As a Convert, I am still learning the faith. I knew it was a sin, but I was trying to determine wether it was a Mortal Sin or not. I have since taken the host three times at Daily Mass, and again this past Sunday.
I do plan on going to confession this week and clear my sole.

My main goal was to determine that since it was a Mortal Sin, and I took communion does that make it worse?

Personally, I would just say in confession some thing like: "I missed mass twice while on vacation, and am unsure if I committed a mortal sin or not, and I have received communion x number of times since then." I've found (and hopefully you do as well) that priests can be very understanding and helpful, particularly when he knows you are a convert.

As Jesus said yesterday in the Gospel, "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her". How many of us have missed Mass because of a family vacation or other family obligations?

[/quote]

I would never consider missing Mass because of a family vacation or another family obligation. That is always something we schedule into the itinerary ahead of time, period. And the OP said they had the opportunity to go to Mass but "the parks won out".

If you're going to be traveling, the proper way to handle the situation is to approach your pastor ahead of time to ask for a dispensation or a commutation. We can't dispense ourselves from the Sunday Mass obligation. We need to take our obligations seriously as Catholics - to brush them aside lightly is to reject the Church's authority.

That being said, it's not the end of the world. If you weren't fully aware of the gravity of the situation, it's probably not a mortal sin, but we shouldn't presume on God's mercy either. I would confess it just as Daizies said and accept God's mercy that we know we receive in Confession, just as we should with any sin after we confess it. Just plan ahead next time.

If you could have, you should have. That’s the basic rule.

Yes, you should mention that you missed Sunday Mass twice while on vacation and have taken Communion since because you were unsure if it was venial or mortal sin. Simple as that.

There is something someone posted once that has been true for me since I read it. Sometimes I have had difficulty in knowing whether a sin I've committed is mortal or venial. If the act keeps bothering your conscience, it was most likely mortal, if you forgot about it immediately, then it was venial. Obviously our consciences are in different stages of development and so I understand anyone that wants to challenge this, but I really think that it's true. Either way, my friend, I'd say you need to get your butt to Confession, even if it's just to ask the priest and make sure. Mass is Mass and it's worth knowing the truth about your situation. (And if I'm casting a stone here, don't think it'll land where mine are not, I'm just trying to be helpful regarding your particular situation) :)

Garn, people are just answering the OP’s question. Why does that upset you so much?

I have NEVER, EVER missed a Sunday Mass obligation for any reason since I returned to the Faith 15 years ago, ESPECIALLY at a place like Disney World. I could not conceive of allowing my kids to spend the day at an amusement park if they haven’t been to Mass first, much less take them myself.

If the OP didn’t know it was grave matter (clue: a recent convert and asking if it was a mortal sin) the the necessary conditions for the sin to be mortal weren’t there:

-grave matter;
-full knowledge that it was grave matter;
-full consent of the will.

It sounds as if the second element might be missing. Of course (s)he can take it to confession to be sure-priests don’t bite! And it’s beneficial to confess venial sin too.

So my advice is to take it to the confessional for a bit of guidance for the future, but also not to obsess over it until you can get to confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.