Missing Mass while on vacation

Some people are way too harsh on others and act like they're perfect. We all make mistakes and we all commit sins (mortal or venial) of one type or another. If anyone here can say they never sin then all I can say is "My Lord and My God!" I mean seriously.

The fact is, yes it's a mortal sin. You missed Mass without an extreme circumstance causing you to miss it. Now go to Confession, do penance, and next time try to plan your trip in a way that you don't do it (whether that's going on Saturday night or finding an earlier mass to go to, etc.).

However, let's not forget that other things should not come before God no matter what. I can understand if you're somewhere that there are no Catholic churches anywhere nearby, but otherwise the effort should be made. I know it's hard when you're on vacation, but to me that's a time when you really show what's important to you. Will you go out of your way to go to Mass? When you're not following your normal daily/weekly routine? That's almost like a test of faith, no?

[quote="garn9173, post:3, topic:319145"]
As Jesus said yesterday in the Gospel, "Let the one among you who is without sin
be the first to throw a stone at her". How many of us have missed Mass because of a family vacation or other family obligations?

[/quote]

But nobody has cast a stone here. The OP asked a very simple question: is this sinful or not? The answer is, by definition of the Church, yes. :shrug:

[quote="garn9173, post:3, topic:319145"]
As Jesus said yesterday in the Gospel, "Let the one among you who is without sin
be the first to throw a stone at her". How many of us have missed Mass because of a family vacation or other family obligations?

[/quote]

:shrug: How does that relate to the question? Jesus was not saying adultery is not a sin? The OP wanted to know and people are giving charitable correct answers. It is almost as if you do not understand last Sunday's reading at all. :shrug:

Go back an read post 7, defiantely holier than though and the Condescending tone is on the verge of throwing the first stone.

Post 7 is correct Catholic teaching and a charitable answer to the OP’s question.
As for being “holier than thou” Our goal and our hope is to be Holy. If we can help someone else attain that goal in certain situations then we should.
Why are you so defensive toward the correct answer being given to this question? The OP has not indicated offence.:shrug:

[quote="garn9173, post:24, topic:319145"]
Go back an read post 7, defiantely holier than though and the Condescending tone is on the verge of throwing the first stone.

[/quote]

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30353297.jpg

[quote="garn9173, post:24, topic:319145"]

[/quote]

But yours was post 3, which is what I was responding to. :) And unfortunately, tone is really hard to convey over text. Either way, it is a bit of a yes or no question to which the answer is definitively a yes. It doesn't matter how many of us have or have not missed Mass because of vacation. That doesn't take away from the sin or the return to a state of grace.. which is what we are all aiming for here. :)

I know that sometimes my own guilt gets in the way of my advice to others.

But all this reminds me of a joke.

Bob: Did you miss Mass on Sunday Jim?
Jim: Well, I wouldn’t say I “missed” it.

Actually this came up last night in a youth group after Mass. One girl was saying she misses Mass when her family takes a vacation. The group asked where they were vacationing that there were no Catholics. Turns out the Bahamas have no Masses or Catholics anywhere.:wink: At least, she claimed, none that she wouldn’t have to leave the resort for.:shrug::rolleyes:

[quote="Firefinz, post:12, topic:319145"]
As a Convert, I am still learning the faith. I knew it was a sin, but I was trying to determine wether it was a Mortal Sin or not. I have since taken the host three times at Daily Mass, and again this past Sunday.
I do plan on going to confession this week and clear my sole.

My main goal was to determine that since it was a Mortal Sin, and I took communion does that make it worse?

[/quote]

I too am a convert and checked on this actually before becoming Catholic - I confess it made me hesitate becoming Catholic for a short time but then the Holy Spirit helped me to understand why it is so serious. Yes it is a mortal sin not going to Mass each week unless there is a serious reason why you can't. Vacations are not serious. I have had to carve time and planned this into my vacation plans several times just like you would plan any other thing you really want to do on a vacation. (we don't take a vacation from the Lord of Lord's and King of King's!) You will need to go to Confession and mention this to the priest and also mention that you have had communion after doing this. From what I've read no one should receive communion having a mortal sin, although being you didn't know...? I'll leave that between you and your confessor. I really do understand how hard it is just coming into the Church as there are many things to learn. What I can reassure you is that everything the Church does is for our spiritual good. Trust her:)
Blessings in Him,
mlz

Well this was quite a first day / first post to the forum.

Kinda reminds me of Matthew Kelly speech where he
Says. " There is no perfect church" " If you think you have found
The perfect church, Join it, it won't be perfect anymore.

Have a blessed day

:smiley: That is right. We are all sinners. As Catholics we are so fortunate to have a Church that teaches us how to reform and gives us the sacrament to forgive. Everyone one is a sinner but it is our goal to be a forgiven reformed sinner!:thumbsup:

No. I am pointing out what the OP could have done. The OP has framed the question as if Sunday morning was the ONLY time they could have gone to Mass. I understand the importance of a character dinner for young children when the whole point of the vacation is going to Disney. BUT, there were so many opportunities to go to Mass all along the way.

The OP is an adult who came here and solicited opinions.

Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you. I have been to Our Lady Queen of the Universe in Orlando many times, even when I had no transportation of my own and had to take a cab there and back. I have been in numerous foreign countries as well. It is not hard to find Catholic churches and make time to go to Mass.

OLQOU is right next to Disney, and it is easy to get to and cabs know the way blindfolded. However, the OP had their own car.

We all have our priorities.

Actually, not to hijack your thread but my family will be taking a vacation including a Sunday in a few months, our parish has a nursery which we use (for the comfort of others and our own capacity to worship undistracted) and our kids are very comfortable with the nursery staff.

If we find ourselves in an unfamiliar parish without a nursery or with a nursery our kids have a meltdown in (ages 5,4,2, 1) and keeping them in the Centrum with us is unworkable, is that a valid excuse to miss Mass? Only the five year old sits with us during Mass at our home parish.

I’m actually excited to see how a different parish operates, but I am realistic in trying to get young kids to adjust to something new for only a day.

I would suggest it is not a valid reason to miss mass.

Take your children and then take it one step at a time. I would also suggest that if a meltdown occurs, one or both of you should take the child having the meltdown out. If it becomes clear that you cannot return, you have not committed a sin while *attempting *to fulfill your obligation and having a small child detour your plan.

Simply planning to skip Mass is an altogether different thing from trying to go and having the needs of young children in the moment supercede.

I like Masses with kids in them. :shrug:

[quote="Geist, post:33, topic:319145"]
Actually, not to hijack your thread but my family will be taking a vacation including a Sunday in a few months, our parish has a nursery which we use (for the comfort of others and our own capacity to worship undistracted) and our kids are very comfortable with the nursery staff.

If we find ourselves in an unfamiliar parish without a nursery or with a nursery our kids have a meltdown in (ages 5,4,2, 1) and keeping them in the Centrum with us is unworkable, is that a valid excuse to miss Mass? Only the five year old sits with us during Mass at our home parish.

I'm actually excited to see how a different parish operates, but I am realistic in trying to get young kids to adjust to something new for only a day.

[/quote]

I don't know what a Centrum is, but I am going to assume you mean the nave - the main body of the church. I would say that you should contact area parishes now to find out what accommodations they have for families with several small children, plan to attend the most accommodating one, and do your best. If you go to Mass having every intention of making it through, and then wind up walking around in the narthex or the cry room or the basement, etc, and suffer through the hour, then you have done what you can even if you don't hear more than a few minutes of Mass. You won't have "missed Mass" - you were morally present, and God honors you for doing your best to honor Him (as you are already doing by being open to life in the context of Christian marriage).

It’s not the end of the world, if you really didn’t know it is not a mortal sin. It is *objectively *grave matter. You can mention it to your pastor in confession.

Next time you know you should try to make plans for Mass attendance ahead of time. You can also talk to your pastor about a dispensation from Mass if you need one. I’ve had that happen when the times of travel (for my work) created a physical impossibility to get to Mass due to flight times and mass times. It does happen. God doesn’t expect the impossible, but he does expect us to make our best effort to join in Mass on the Lord’s Day.

It could be.:smiley: Or at least the end of our lives.
Which is why we all should frequent confession.:thumbsup:

I’d like to suggest that going to Mass in a place you’re visiting can become part of your trip. I’ve been to Mass at the cathedrals in different cities, at historic churches, and at the very least, at parishes other than my own. It’s interesting to see what the churches look like and how they do things. I have fond memories of certain cities that include my experiences at Mass in those places.

Perhaps you can make picking out a church for Sunday Mass a part of your vacation planning.

I have never, ever missed a mass while out of town on vacation. I have missed it at home on purpose when I could have made it but that was a mortal sin so I had to confess before I could receive communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.