missing mass while on vacation

I know very similar questoins to this have been posted, but I still do not feel MY question has been answered. Here goes…
My family and I were on vacation in Disney World last week. We managed to get nearly impossible to get breakfast reservations, but the only day available was Sunday morning. If we did not accept that day and time, we would have missed out. We went to breakfast with our 4 year old, and skipped mass. I have been having the Catholic guilts all week. Was this a sin? Do we need to get to confession ASAP before receiving communion at mass tommorrow?

Thanks All

Chris

Chris;

Feeling bad about it is a signal that something is definitely wrong. Mention it to your Confessor at your next convenient opportunity.

I don’t know what to say, because I have no idea what kind of opportunity you had to go to Mass at a different time - in the evening, maybe? - or why it was so important to get these difficult breakfast reservations - was your child meeting Mickey Mouse for breakfast? That would be a big thrill for her, and of course you would not want to miss that - although doing that instead of going to Mass is not very good, though.

Just don’t die before you go to confession.:smiley:

If you had the intention to go, that is what matters.
And it is good that you feel guilt, that means you have a conscience.

There is a web site Mass times. which lists Mass times for different towns.
masstimes.org/dotnet/Default.aspx

As Catholics we are called to put Jesus first, so that is why we have to go to Mass, now missing it with the intention of going is not the same as choosing something over worshipping God.

Just confess and make a resolution to plan your life with God first and you will be fine. As long as you put God first in your life then you will feel less guilty in life.

Which reminds me I should go to confession myself as I should practice what I preach. I have been trying to go to confession more frequently.

God Bless
Scylla

But he didn’t have the intention to go; he had the intention to go to the breakfast instead of to Mass.

We managed to get nearly impossible to get breakfast reservations, but the only day available was Sunday morning. If we did not accept that day and time, we would have missed out.

Oh, if only we would have this attitude toward the Blessed Sacrament and the Holy Mass! If Sunday morning was the only time you could get to Mass, then who do YOU think should have been considered more important, Jesus the Christ of Mickey Mouse? Is that really a difficult question? I pray not!

Do we need to get to confession ASAP before receiving communion at mass tommorrow?

Yes! Missing Mass through personal choice is a grave sin and removes you from a state of grace and puts your soul in peril!

I can’t believe some of the input on this thread! If they had the intention of going at another time, they would have and this question would not even exist on this thread. They intended to “skip” Mass just as he has written and this is a mortal sin which can lead to the loss of ones soul! Why is the truth so difficult to say! “Feeling bad” is NOT a sign of something being wrong; it is your God-given concience trying to tell you that you are SINNING! Of course you need to go to confession! NOT at the “next convienient opportunity” but ASAP! If you receive Holy Communion before going to Confession, you will be “eating and drinking judgement” upon yourself and you will not be discerning the body of the Lord!

Also, some information concerning Disney that you may want to consider before shooosing Mickey over Jesus next time.

Disney openly supports the homosexual lifstyle and only courts Christians in any way for their money.

Disney is a corporate sponsor of Planned Parenthood, giving them hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. Planned Parenthood is the worlds largest provider of abortions and argueably the most evil organization on earth, even more so than some of these terrorists that are so in the news!

When you support Disney, you support what they do and who they contribute to. If all Christians would stay away from Disney, and let Disney know why they are no longer spending time or money there, this situation would probably change within months!

So when you go to confession, you can mention something about contributing to helping Planned Parenthood to kill babies as well!

Hang on, let’s hear the whole story. The poor thing has just made their first post and you’re jumping all over them like they’re the worst person ever without really knowing enough to make an informed comment.

Why was the breakfast so important? Did the OP try to find whether there were any alternative Mass times available? Perhaps there weren’t - maybe they couldn’t attend others due to other commitments.

Orlando is a huge place…you could have found a parish on Saturday where you could have met your Sunday obligation.

Yes, go to confession. In your heart you already know this, otherwise you wouldn’t feel that Catholic guilt.

Whenever I preach to others, I tell them take your vacation, but don’t take one from God.

so why did you not go to Mass on Saturday night instead?

Missing mass without grave reason is a mortal sin. Orlando has Catholic churches available that you could have gone to Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon, or Sunday evening. You had no serious reason to miss Mass, and if you hve to choose between breakfast or Mass, Mass is the choice to make.

You can find Catholic churches and times of mass at www.masstimes.org.

Yes, absolutely.

So it comes down to a tossup between Jesus Christ and Mickey Mouse?? How are you going to explain that when you get to the Pearly Gates?
As a Catholic, your first obligation is to the good Lord. And yes, confession is necessary.
Kathy

I never had the money to take my kids to Disney. And you know what I found out: your children will not die if they don’t visit a Disney theme park. Yes, it is true. Why has this become almost the confirmation of secularism? It’s as though if you don’t take your child to Disney, theiar lives will be ruined and they will grow up to be axe murderers. This is what led the OP to think that breakfast with the Disney characters was so important. More important than even Jesus Himself.

Always put God first and you will never go wrong.

I think if there is any question on your part and there seems to be according to your post and the guilt you carry for going to eat rather then going to Mass…then go to confession. I was on vacation in Bryce Canyon National park. You would think it would be OK to miss Mass in such a remote area, well maybe so, but you see I didn’t even make an effort to find a Mass. Upon leaving the park I noticed a chapel way off in the distance with a big sign that read “Mass on Sundays” that I did not notice when I entered the park. For me I had to go to a priest for that as soon as I was able.

OK, I will get myself to confession as soon as I can.

As to Orlando being a huge place and must have tons of Catholic churches. That may be true, but the closest one to get to from the theme parks is not easy to get to without a car. (which we didn’t have).
We would have had to call a cab to get us there and back. I have heard mixed reviews of how successful that can be. People have paid as little as $10 and as much as $40 or $50. People have gotten there in as little as 10-15 minutes, others have taken 45 minutes to an hour. So I didn’t just assume that there was no opportunity for us to attend mass. I did look into it. But when the opportunity came up with these reservations, it was something that I knew my daughter would love.

Maybe I am trying to justify something that I really can’t, but our reservations were for breakfast at Cinderella’s castle. (a place that get’s completely booked within 5 minutes of reservaton lines opening.) By the time we get back to Disney, she will not care about the princessess. We did stop and say a little prayer that morning, not that that really matters).
And, we really do not have the money to spend on Disney either. This is a luxury that we allow ourselves probably once every 10-15 years. We took our 4 year old this year, and she will probably not see the parks again until she is in high school or college. (Heck, I was almost 30 when I went for the first time, and this was just my second trip) .

So yes, my hubby and I will get to confession and get this off our souls. We were due to go anyway.

thanks everyone

Christie

The Life Decisions International corporate boycott list does mention that the Orlando Disney parks contributed to Planned Parenthood of Orlando’s campaign to (allegedly) stop teen pregnancy. I do not dispute that PP is, in fact, evil. That said, do you have documentation that Corporate Disney in fact gives “hundreds of thousands of dollars each year” to PP? It would seem counter-productive of them to assist in killing-off their next generation of customers.

Finally, I think it’s a stretch to, in effect, say that a visit to Disney is the moral equivalent of procuring abortions (“helping Planned Parenthood to kill babies.”)

Not so if you were not aware of such a thing.

I don’t know if any of what you say is true, or even the point. I think you are a little over the top here. I sure am hard put to condsider it an evil place thats for sure. This is about missing Mass on Sundays. I think it’s awful that the OP is getting blasted for going to Disneyland for pete’s sake!!

Elizabeth

Not so if you were not aware of such a thing.

I don’t know if any of what you say is true, or even the point. I think you are a little over the top here. I sure am hard put to consider it an evil place thats for sure. This is about missing Mass on Sundays. I think it’s awful that the OP is getting blasted for going to Disneyland for pete’s sake!!

Elizabeth

You probably missed one of the most gorgeous churches and you really don’t have a good excusemasstimes.org/dotnet/showchurch.aspx?id=14282
Mary Queen of the Universe
Sun: 7:30, 9:30, 11:30 a.m.; 6 p.m.
Where there is a will there is a way. It has a small but fascinating museum and beautiful grounds. It is very close to Disney. Too bad you missed it.:frowning:

The Life Decisions International corporate boycott list does mention that the Orlando Disney parks contributed to Planned Parenthood of Orlando’s campaign to (allegedly) stop teen pregnancy. I do not dispute that PP is, in fact, evil. That said, do you have documentation that Corporate Disney in fact gives “hundreds of thousands of dollars each year” to PP? It would seem counter-productive of them to assist in killing-off their next generation of customers.

Firstly, I will admit that I may have overestimated the amount. Then again I may not have. I did a 3 minute google search consisting of “disney and planned parenthood” and went to two official PP sites and found articles praising Disney for $40,000 worth of grants for one project alone, $20,000 for the year 2006! If I can find that in 3 minutes, what do you think you would find if you did a thorough search of all the projects that Disney has helped to fund?
Secondly, by your own admission, you are not arguing the point of PP being evil. If that is so then why defend supporting it at all? Isn’t the fact that they helped to kill at least one and are willing to help kill at least even one more enough? Most people are appalled at the the news when one or two people are murdered and it is a major story when it is found out that someone helped in some way; yet, because it is a place where we want to go and have fun, all of a sudden it is “Well, they don’t kill that many.” or “They didn’t actually hold the knife, they just gave it to the murderer just before the did the deed…”

Finally, I think it’s a stretch to, in effect, say that a visit to Disney is the moral equivalent of procuring abortions (“helping Planned Parenthood to kill babies.”)

While I will cede that, if one has no knowledge then one is not culpable of mortal sin: I will state that if there is knowledge then one is just as guilty as the one who did the deed. Therefore, if you are aware of (or even if you have only heard it said and refused to find out for yourself because it will then mean that you will become guilty) what Disney is doing and continue to patronize them then you are as responsible as they are! It is not as if they hold a life giving drug that you or a loved one must have and you have nowhere else to go. Any one can do without Disney and live long normal and happy lives, even children.

The point is that they continue to support Planned Parenthood to any extent even after being informed that it is evil and goes against all that Christians believe in. They take Christian money and laugh at them all the way to the bank, yet Christians still continue to give them millions each and every year. They save and save and save so that they can give thier money to Disney, even after being informed of the facts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.