Missing Mustache patches from pulling them out

When I was younger (teenage years) I had a bad habit of plucking some of my mustache. I know I shouldn’t have done it. I would like to grow my mustache now because I think it’s a waste of time to keep on shaving it regularly for the sake of modern fashion. I am Far Eastern Asian so I don’t grow that much mustache or beard; even if I left them to grow there would be no or little inconvenience when eating food. Now unfortunately there are big patches of missing mustache.

Right now my mustache thin enough that they can be pulled without substantial pain (in other words, I could still pluck them all off if I wanted to without much difficulty - but if I keep shaving them, eventually they will reach a thickness, in which case it will be extremely painful to pull them out, and it will be conspicuous that I have missing mustache patches even when I don’t shave for a day.)

I plucked off some of my beard too so it has negligible patches (just 10% is missing) while the mustache is 60% hair and 40% missing)

The mustache that I plucked have not been growing in about 2-3 years.

So I have a choice to make:

1 Keep shaving the mustache every two days, and eventually once everyday when it gets thick enough that it’s conspicuous even if I don’t shave for a day that I have bald patches - so that it doesn’t look strange with patches of no mustache.

(Do this for the rest of my life.)

2 Pull the remaining mustache out while I still can relatively easily, so that I can save a lot of time shaving all that mustache throughout my lifetime and not have to worry about people noticing my sprouts of mustache and patches of missing mustache. (It would look like I shaved a part of my mustache - as if I did a sloppy job of shaving)

1. Pray to God that the pulled out mustache will grow back soon; meanwhile keep shaving the mustache so that people don’t wander about the missing parts of mustache.

Would it be sinful to pull the rest of the mustache out?

My husband, like most men, shaves every day, and it takes him very little time. Just shave every morning, just like you brush your teeth every morning, just like you go to the bathroom every morning, just like you shower every morning, just like you dress every morning. It’s just part of what you do to get ready in the morning.

I get the idea that you would prefer to pluck, but why would you want to? I have a hard time believing that plucking at your beard or mustache takes less time than shaving. And, isn’t it painful to pluck?

No, it’s not a sin. But, let’s face it, plucking is odd behavior.

It sounds like your plucking has pulled the whisker out by the root. It’s not going to grow back.

My recommendation to you is, shave every morning, and then you will no longer have a dilemma. But you also will no longer have anything to pluck, and I think that is going to be a problem for you, as you seem to have a compulsion to pluck. But resist it! Shaving is the answer.

It is NOT a sin to let facial hair grow.
It is NOT a sin to shave some or all off.
It is NOT a sin to pluck some or all out.

Sounds like a touch of OCD

My recommendation to you is, shave every morning, and then you will no longer have a dilemma.

If I shaved everyday, the problem of having to shave everyday would be permanent. I don’t want to shave because I think it’s a waste of time. I don’t want to confirm to the norms of society just because it is ‘normal’ thing to do. It seems to me that it would be vanity for Far East Asians to shave their mustache and beard because it simply does not grow fully like Westerners and Middle Easterners (not sure about others) and therefore does not get in the way of eating, and so there would be only on reason to shave for F.E.As: to look good; vanity.

I get the idea that you would prefer to pluck, but why would you want to? I have a hard time believing that plucking at your beard or mustache takes less time than shaving. And, isn’t it painful to pluck?

Because if I did so, I wouldn’t have to shave my mustache everyday which I think is waste of time. The time of shaving would add up and far surpass that of initial plucking while the mustache is still thin enough to be plucked.

It’s really not a moral issue. Do what you want.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.