Missing Sunday Mass and mortal sin

If a catholic deliberately missed Sunday Mass, and say, this individual was hit by a car and died the next day, would this individual go to Hell?

Not trying to be confrontational here (after all I am a new member here). However, this begs the question regarding mortal sin. Would dieing with it on one's soul, condemn that soul to Hell? Would the fact that dieing accidentaly, somehow attenuate the wages of sin, or consequences? After all, perhaps the individual was sorry and wanted to go to Confession, but was thwarted from doing so because of accidental death.

Thanks in advance.

[quote="RosslynV, post:1, topic:348261"]
If a catholic deliberately missed Sunday Mass, and say, this individual was hit by a car and died the next day, would this individual go to Hell?

Not trying to be confrontational here (after all I am a new member here). However, this begs the question regarding mortal sin. Would dieing with it on one's soul, condemn that soul to Hell? Would the fact that dieing accidentaly, somehow attenuate the wages of sin, or consequences? After all, perhaps the individual was sorry and wanted to go to Confession, but was thwarted from doing so because of accidental death.

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

I don't think any of us are in a position to answer these questions, since it would depend on different factors. Only God can make that call, and sometimes, he's been known to be merciful. However, we have been told we are to always be prepared and vigilant with lighted lamps, so to speak, not be caught offguard. We have been forewarned that God will come for us like a thief in the night, to be on guard, ready always. .

It doesn't look good for the soul, but again, we also don't know what other factors were involved. Again, it depends also upon all the other sins, as well, just a bunch of things. We don't know how God determines this. Some say he's quite strict.

If a soul can even receive mercy, or have other souls praying for it, those might even be other factors God might be willing to consider. It depends on whether the soul wants to go to hell. Some are bent on it, and God sometimes just gives them what they want..

Further, we are to strive to enter the narrow door.

See below:

romancatholicism.org/jansenism/fathers-fewness.htm

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Nobody can answer that question.

We can objectively state that anyone who dies in a state of mortal sin goes immediately to Hell. The manner of their death would not be relevant.

However, if a person was truly able to make an act of perfect contrition, which is conditional upon the intent to get to Confession as soon as possible, but died before getting to Confession they would be saved. Only God would know if they had indeed made such an act of perfect contrition as we do not know the state of anyone's soul when they die.

None of us can answer that for sure

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

I deliberately missed Mass this Sunday.

I bet you mean, deliberately missed Mass *for no good reason. *

As other have said, we don't know for sure.

We can rely on the mercy of God.

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

If that person is in mortal sin, then they won't enter heaven. Notice the "if".
Anyone in mortal sin won't enter heaven. But we can never be sure about someone else.

This is one of the reasons a person who commits suicide may be buried in the church. Noone knows what takes place between God and the sinner in those last moments.

But it is never good to take chances and bet one's heaven on it.

If a person made a perfect act of love for God and was resolute to not repeat the sin again, and thru some accident died without the benefit of confession, it does sound as tho they would not be deprived of heaven. Something to keep in mind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.