Missing Sunday mass due to broken leg?

I will be traveling with 2 friends to help them at an out-of-town horse show later this year. One friend (Deb) is the rider and the other (Daneen) is the owner of the horse (who is recovering from a severe broken leg). I’m going to help since Daneen will still be on crutches and the show ends sometime on Sunday. The trip is about 4 hours and I doubt I’ll get home in time to go to an evening mass. Is this an excusable mass absence or should I just go to confession to cover all the bases?!

I’d recommend asking your local pastor for a dispensation.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Can. 1245 …for a just cause and according to the prescripts of the diocesan bishop, a pastor can grant in individual cases a dispensation from the obligation of observing a feast day or a day of penance or can grant a commutation of the obligation into other pious works.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.