Missing Sunday Mass

It bothers me that there are times when I am so exhausted, I am unable to attend a Sunday Mass or the Saturday anticipated Mass. You see, I work two jobs, one during the usual week, and then two night shifts on the weekend.... usually I'm successful at attending a Sunday Mass. But there are times when I just have to admit that my energy levels are down, Ideas on how to make it to Sunday Masses, how to nourish my faith, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If only you knew what it means, to attend Sunday Mass!

Truth is, nobody knows what this truly means. Only God knows.

Which is why the Holy Spirit gave light to the Church and She commanded us to attend Sunday mass under pain of mortal sin.

Holy Church understands that there are exceptions, which is why we have the Saturday vigil Mass that fulfills the Sunday obligation. There are also very exceptional cases that can receive a dispensation.

Otherwise there are several Parishes and several times throughout the Sunday, and we should absolutely find a way to attend, for our own sake, out of love, or if not, out of obedience.

Watch Mass on EWTN when days being tired.

Maybe try to find a Mass in your area (you might be in an area with fewer Catholic Churches, not sure) that is scheduled for just after you get off work. Try to get to that then get to sleep. It can be difficult, and you have to honor your need for rest also. Working 7 days a week is tiring. Maybe talk to your pastor about this. You could also try to do the readings and/or divine office when you cannot get to Mass. They are accessible on-line.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely try much harder to attend mass. I try to attend mass with the family, and somehow we just haven't had the discipline to stick to a regular schedule. But if I end up attending alone, then, so be it. I recall the story, I'm sure it was San Isidro Labrador... hmmm ...will look him up, perhaps he'll help me. Thanks again. Much obliged.

To work on weekends is to secure the future or to meet commitments. To received the Lord is to receive His abundance providence in this life and eternal joy in the next life. This call for faith and to date no one has been disappointed. Either way you choose. God bless!

[quote="IronMIke, post:3, topic:303516"]
Watch Mass on EWTN when days being tired.

[/quote]

Watching mass on TV however still does not fulfill one's Sunday obligation to attend mass, and therefore does not resolve the OP's original concern.

I am just glad that our Lord was not too tired to suffer a brutal torture and agonizing death on a cross for our sins. Mass is 1 hour in length. Perhaps the solution would be to re-prioritize and make sure to fulfill the 1 hour each week that God asks of us as Catholics?

There's no hard and fast rule that you have to attend Mass at your own parish. Is there a Catholic church with an early Mass near where you work that night shift, or en route home? That might be an alternative.

This is a tough one, and I'm not one that has lived by example over the years by any means. I have recently been going through Spiritual Renewal myself, and have just made the absolute commitment to attend Mass no matter what. I work long hours during the week, have two young kids, and other commitments at home as well, and it is tough at times, but I just go. I feel that no matter what I should be able to find it in my heart to give God at least one hour a week no matter how tired, distracted, or anything else I am.

Last weekend my wife went to Chicago with friends and I had to stay home with my 7-year old daughter and 10 month old soon. I think I got 6 hours of sleep in two nights, but I still got up, got the kids ready, and made 9:30 a.m. Mass on Sunday. I felt better and fulfilled for having done it. In my experience, there are very few reasons why one shouldn't be able to make it.

My prayers are with you.

Check for Mass times at parishes along your route to work or nearby. Try to make it to one right before or right after your work shift. It is very easy to come home tired and then just not make it back out the door for Mass. If you go before you get home then you'll be much more likely to make it.

Talk this over with your wife/family and make sure they are going to get to Mass also. Perhaps they can meet you at the place you are going to Mass. Or go to a mid-morning Mass at your local parish. If you have young children and it is hard for your wife to take them all, consider keeping the baby/toddler/preschooler home with you. Children under the age of reason/before First Holy Communion do not have the same Mass obligation.

[quote="jere610, post:12, topic:303516"]
I felt better and fulfilled for having done it. In my experience, there are very few reasons why one shouldn't be able to make it.

My prayers are with you.

[/quote]

It depends. I live in a rural area and attending any Mass requires driving about 5-10 miles depending on where you live, and not all on particularly great roads. Driving while fatigued is not a brilliant idea, driving while fatigued on narrow winding roads is a less brilliant idea, and driving while fatigued on narrow, winding, icy roads is simply suicidal.

I vote we cut the OP some slack. (S)he might have a good and necessary reason to work at two jobs, which makes the fatigue understandable and which makes the reluctance to drive under such conditions not only understandable, but in fact, charitable.

I agree we are called to strive to do our best to make it to Sunday Mass. God does not, however, call us to the impossible, nor does He expect us to endanger ourselves and others to get to Mass.

My suggestion, instead of asking here, would be to discuss this with the parish priest and perhaps ask for a dispensation for those times when simply too knackered to make it.

Thanks for the encouragement. Sunday mass is very central not merely to our Catholic identity, but to the spiritual nourishment that is received. Responses noted. Thanks and thanks again.

If you are physically able to do so--drink coffee or soda (caffeine) or take a caffeine pill for a little natural "boost" right before the Mass. Hopefully it will keep you awake for the hour of Mass. Then go home and sleep in peace!

I work long hours in a hospital, and usually I get to bed on time. But if I don't, I take a caffeine pill to get me going. It truly helps with stopping sleepiness.

[quote="Pilosopo, post:15, topic:303516"]
Thanks for the encouragement. Sunday mass is very central not merely to our Catholic identity, but to the spiritual nourishment that is received. Responses noted. Thanks and thanks again.

[/quote]

Therefore, find a different job. Difficult, I know. But what is top priority in your life? It should be God. Is it?

[quote="Joan_M, post:17, topic:303516"]
Therefore, find a different job. Difficult, I know. But what is top priority in your life? It should be God. Is it?

[/quote]

God, grant me the serenity, to accept things I cannot change,
Courage, to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

:(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.