Mission Trip

Hey guys

I'm in college and am thinking about going away for a semester on a mission trip. Does anyone know of good Catholic groups to contact that coordinates these sort of things?

Ideally, I want to go to an impoverished country where I can really learn to appreciate what I have here in the States, and hopefully get rid of that Western malise. No phone, no TV, no Computer, NOTHING. I just feel like I'm not taking advantage of the many blessings God has given me. You guys know what I mean.

Also, who in my parish would I contact to ask these sort of questions?

I live in Wichita, KS if that helps

Does your college have a Newman Center or Catholic campus ministry? Many times they organize mission trips during spring break or other times when classes aren't in session.

I’m talking about a whole semester though. My Newman Center doesn’t sponser long term trips like that. I kinda want a break from college.

You might take a look at the Catholic Volunteer Network -- catholicvolunteernetwork.org/

They help match you up with programs Their search page -- catholicvolunteernetwork.org/search-program -- allows you to specify where you want to volunteer so you can give specific countries or regions and also the length of service..

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:4, topic:330011"]
You might take a look at the Catholic Volunteer Network -- catholicvolunteernetwork.org/

They help match you up with programs Their search page -- catholicvolunteernetwork.org/search-program -- allows you to specify where you want to volunteer so you can give specific countries or regions and also the length of service..

[/quote]

Thanks!

I'll definitely check that out!

societyofourlady.net/apostolic-works.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.