Mississippi abortion ruling raises questions of women's health

Jackson, Miss., Aug 1, 2014 / 03:42 am (CNA/EWTN News).- A federal appeals court has drawn criticism for blocking a 2012 Mississippi law requiring abortion doctors to have admitting privileges at local hospitals.

“The issue has been so politicized that people don’t use their common sense when it comes to this issue,” said Dana Cody, president and executive director of Life Legal Defense, a non-profit that provides legal assistance in pro-life cases.

“(For) any other surgery, the physician has admitting privileges somewhere. Why does abortion get a pass?” she said to CNA July 30, suggesting that it is simply “more rhetoric to try to justify exploiting women.”
catholicnewsagency.com/news/mississippi-abortion-ruling-raises-questions-of-womens-health-44968/

OBGYNs do not like going behind other ones. This will not bode well. They will stabilize you, but then it is hands off.

While I am against abortion, I do not agree with hospitals not allowing doctors admitting privileges. I just don’t see this as a viable way to address all the issues concerning abortions.

What really needs to happen is the development of a care system for women who find themselves with unwanted or unexpected pregnancies. Young girls are usually terrified that they have gotten pregnant, other women may not want another child, truly believe that their life is in danger if pregnant, feel they can’t care for a child or are victims of incest and rape. How do we help them?

The need a safe place to stay, continued shelter, medical care and education. If we don’t provide these options as well as a means for them to adopt their child out once born, and that is what they decide they want, we are really not helping them. I can say without hesitation, that with two very nearby Catholic Churches in my community there is not one thing out there that allows anyone, including someone going to Mass on a regular basis, any information about where to get help. How do they get help if there is none offered, or it is so secretive that they can’t find it?

We have to do better, in all of our Parishes than this. Does your Parish have an outreach program for women in your area, that is visible, useable, reachable…for ALL women living in your area? Do you have a group of parishioners ready and willing to house, care for and pay for a woman’s needs so she will keep her baby? If not, you should, because otherwise all this shutting down of abortion clinics and banning doctors from hospitals is nothing more than rhetoric.

Are you willing to adopt a child of a girl in your parish who may not want to keep her baby? Are you willing to pay a woman’s medical bills, for part of her education so she can work and keep her kid? Because this is what we need to be doing. We can close all the clinics out there, and abortions will continue as they always have: in someone’s kitchen, an alley, some crusty hotel room…but they will continue and more women and girls will die along with the aborted child.

And maintaining the social myth that sex is about personal fulfillment and should be an inalienable right with no repercussions will only continue the travesty. It is only when women (and men) begin to see sex within the perspective of family life, creating new human beings and taking responsibility for the gift it is, that the problem will be closer to resolution. Ignoring these will not make the problem simply “go away.” The status quo has led to hundreds of millions of abortions because the problem (a misconception about “rights” surrounding sex) is not being addressed.

I am disappointed and the clinic should be shut.
In general, obgyns will not go behind others. For the court to rule this way puts these women in danger.

" It is only when women(and men) begin to see sex within the perspective of family life, creating new human beings and taking responsibility for the giftit is, that the problem will be closer to resolution."

I agree completely, but am not holding my breath…

While I am less familiar with Mississippi, the situation in Texas (which has similar laws) is not that abortionists are denied admitting privileges outright. Abortion clinics tend to attract the dregs of the medical profession. It’s not that they can’t get privileges because they are abortionists; it’s that they are abortionists because they cannot get privileges and work in more legitimate practices. So, if the formerly unqualified “doctors” are give privileges just because they are abortionists, what’s to prevent them from missing those privileges for other purposes and misleading women further?

Frankly, I don’t think the “sexual revolution” is that new. There was, in the past of course, greater shame associated with being pregnant out of wed lock. But these girls were sent away to “relatives” and convents to hide and have their children. Then they came home without the child. So really the problem is about responsibility for our actions, not even rights.

I don’t agree with all the free sexual attitude in our society. I do believe it belongs in marriage. Still, if a woman or girl lands up pregnant and does not want to have that child for whatever reason, we have to have a place for them to go and get help. We have to stop abortions by doing something practical and meaningful for them.

How do you comfort a woman who knows she may die if she carries a baby to term? How do you provide for her child if she does? (What if she is single?) How do you let a 13 or 15 year old know where to go; that you will help her; that she will get through this situation? It has to be in the form of housings, care, doctors, education and financial aid. Protests at abortion clinics really don’t cut it. And making it illegal to have an abortion only sends them back to the underground.

Plenty of women died in the past due to botched, underground abortion efforts. We need to remember they feel desperate. How do we address their desperation?

What is needed is to get the information out there.
Murder should not be an option.

You sound like you get your information from the pro-abortion camp with few facts about what is going on in the pro-life struggle to help mothers and babies.
You will find much info. on websites by Priests for Life
& Human Life International.
priestsforlife.org/

hli.org/

There are oodles more pro life websites and groups offering every kind of help.
Also, check out Sisters of Life
sistersoflife.org/

Regarding the myth of “back-alley abortions,” Dr. Bernard Nathanson, co-founder of the National Abortion Rights Action League, admits that his group lied about the number of women who died from illegal abortions when testifying before the Supreme Court in 1972. “We spoke of 5,000 - 10,000 deaths a year… I confess that I knew the figures were totally false … it was a useful figure, widely accepted, so why go out of our way to correct it with honest statistics?”
FYI Dr Nathanson became an outspoken defender of the unborn & pregnant women. He converted to Catholicism.

texasrighttolife.com/about/145/Abortion-Myths

The myth that pregnancy is more dangerous than abortion is right out of the pro-abortion talking points handbook:
ncregister.com/daily-news/study-saying-abortion-safer-than-childbirth-disputed
abortionfacts.com/facts/11

Per the CDC prior to Roe being imposed 92% of illegal abortion were performed by a licensed physician in a sterile enviroment. Deaths from illegal abortion averagedc less than 400 a year.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.