Mississippi river flooding

boston.com/bigpicture/2008/06/mississippi_floodwaters_in_iow.html

Why has this flooding ceased to be front page news?

Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help
in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal
government hasn’t solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and
trailers) are?

Why isn’t the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in
Chicago?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that
failed in Des Moines?

Where are Sean Penn and the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen
television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a
"vanilla" Iowa, because that’s the way God wants it?

Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

How come in 3 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding again?

LOL! :smiley: I know a couple of days ago, there were two guys arrested for looting in Iowa City. They drove down from Minnesota, broke into an apartment, and were helping themselves to the beer and liquor in there! They were caught because the other residents of the apartment complex, who were cleaning out their apartments, didn’t recognize the guys and called the police.

One thing I’ve noticed as a REAL difference is that no one around here waited for the government, local or otherwise, to give them permission to do anything. If help was needed, it was offered and gratefully accepted. I recall reading that a couple of days before Katrina, Amtrak offered its trains to the NOLO Mayor’s office to evacuate people. Apparently, whoever answered the phone in the office said thanks but no thanks. Here in Iowa, there would have been no asking anyone for permission to help. Amtrak would have just told the local news organizations about the offer, and that would have been that.

<><

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.