Missouri professor Melissa Click is still fired

money.cnn.com/2016/03/15/media/melissa-click-professor-appeal-denied/index.html

A University of Missouri professor’s appeal to reverse her firing has been denied.

Melissa Click was fired in February for trying to block a journalist from recording a student protest about racism on campus. In a letter on Tuesday, the university’s board of curators said it stands by its decision to fire Click.

The associate professor of communications appealed her firing earlier this month.
“The Board reiterates that it is your conduct that is the reason for termination of your employment,” the letter said. “The Board reiterates that it is not acting based on any views you have expressed or your association with any students or others.”

Click was also told in the letter that her firing was the result of her behavior, which “interfered with the rights of others, not based on any exercise of rights on your part.”

I’m still confused by this. If the professor was sympathetic to the protesting students, why was she trying to prevent reporters from recording the protest? Doesn’t that seem counter-intuitive? Were the students doing something illegal or distasteful that she didn’t want publicized?

As someone who works in academia, there’s a lot of left-wing anger that wants to shut down speech it doesn’t agree with. Well, from straight, white, able-bodied men anyways. Doubt they’d persecute a foreign Muslim or an African American (think Hillary 2016 turnout) pastor.

So there’s no way she lost her job because of her views, she lost her job because she, as an academic professional representing the university, was filmed not only denying access to students but threatening to use force to remove them. She was not part of any crowd-control or screener or anything like that.

It’s a big problem, and no, in this case the students were not doing something distasteful, but just wanted access, and she “called for muscle” to remove the students against their First Amendment rights.

Finally, “sympathy” isn’t the word I would use at all. Hard for me see how one is so angry and sympathetic at the same time.

Yea, I understand that. I probablys houldn’t have chosen the article about her firing to ask my question, which is basically this:

WHY was she trying to deny access to student reporters? Aren’t most people who are sympathetic/ in agreement with/ supportive of protesters usually interested in publicizing the protests?

She’s a very liberal professor. I think that may be what you’re looking for.

No, that still doesn’t make any sense. Liberals LIKE protests.

I agree. I also work in Academia. They probably removed her because of the spectacle and the embarrassment to the University rather than her views.

It’s not confusing
[LIST]
*]the protesters were targeting local administration, not a national audience
*]there was a fair amount of negative press about the Univ Protests, people were sensitive.
*]the ‘journalist’ was arguing with protest leadership about 1st amendment rights. I guess they would prefer to be in control of when and where they were being covered.
[/LIST]
Such progressives are into their cause, not into a sincere debate of the issues. They use protests to bully and shut down opposition. How else can you explain the bernie boys at Trump rally’s? Trump supporters aren’t infringing on the rights of democrats to support their candidates.

In my experience, university administrators are not as interested in justice as they are in quiet.

Probably the same way you can explain pro-life people outside of abortion clinics. People protest the things that they find distasteful and wrong. :shrug:

But that’s an aside. Thanks for your take on the Click situation. I didn’t realize there had been negative press about the protests before the Click protest problem.

When’s the last time a Catholic pro-life group got violent at an abortion clinic?

Because that is what happened at the Trump rally.

If I remember the original story the protesters wanted a “safe space” for their meeting without intrusive, presumably hostile press.

The problem was that the protest was a “Black Lives Matter”-style protest. The student journalist trying to cover the protest was a white male. From her comments and demeanor it appeared that she did not believe that a white male would have any sympathy towards nor balanced approach to the protest’s coverage, i.e., white male = negative publicity.

Thanks, Muzhik. That helps.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.