Missouri Senate OKs 3-day abortion waiting period

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Missouri senators approved legislation Tuesday that would require women to wait three days after seeing a doctor before having an abortion, instead of one day.

The state’s informed consent law currently requires a 24-hour waiting period before an abortion, and that would be extended to 72 hours under the measure. Women are provided information such as the immediate and long-term medical risks, as well as alternatives to an abortion. They also are given an opportunity to view an ultrasound and to hear the heartbeat of the fetus.

The Republican-led Senate endorsed the abortion legislation 22-9 in an early-morning vote along party lines, and the bill now returns to the House. Lawmakers have until 6 p.m. on Friday to pass the legislation.

sfgate.com/news/article/Missouri-Senate-OKs-3-day-abortion-waiting-period-5473062.php

I would have to say that this is good news simply because hopefully this 3 day waiting period will deter more people from getting an abortion. I’d prefer that abortion just be completely outlawed but that does not seem likely at this point in time.

And yet another small victory in the fight against abortion. Hopefuly the House passes the bill.

I wonder which party is responsible for passing yet another bill to help in the fight against abortion?

But you know the spin this will get. It’s a movement against “women’s health”, “health care”, “reproductive freedom” or whatever the euphemism of the day is.

:clapping: Hey, it’s something.

The more difficult it becomes to get a surgical abortion the more women will acclimate to the circumstance and and keep a supply of morning after pills on hand.

emergency contraception is often called the “morning after pill” or “day after pill,” it may be effective for up to 5 days (120 hours)

ec.princeton.edu/questions/ectime.html

What about women who are pregnant beyond this?

Well… at least abortions will decline. And fewer abortionists will be involved in killing fewer innocent lives.

Voted “along Party lines”. I wonder which party voted against the bill?:shrug:

Good reason for banning the morning after bill. Did you know the federal Govt is trying to force me to provide these pills free of charge to my employees?

I don’t know that it will. Once women see how much easier it is to keep some pills in their medicine cabinet and take one the next day just in case, you will have many more abortions. Assuming of course you believe an fertilized egg is a baby.

The statistics won’t reflect it because it will all be taken care of in the privacy of peoples homes.

Good luck banning emergency contraception. The war on drugs hasn’t worked out so well.

Many women find out they are pregnant beyond the normal timeframe that the morning after pill would be taken if they didn’t want to carry on with the pregnancy. Morning after pill also doesn’t always end the pregnancy.

Blessed are the women who during the 3-day waiting period, decide to keep the pregnancy to its duration!

LOVE! :heart:

Excuse me, what is your problem?

Most abortions are in the first trimester. But if they were within the span of the morning-after pill, why not just use that instead?

I could spend hours talking about about my problems but it would be totally off topic.

I’m sorry if I offended you. I just disagree with the premise that waiting periods will reduce abortions. If I expressed myself rudely I apologize.

Why would a 3 day wait cause them to radically alter their behavior? Someone who is already irresponsible is not going to change their preparation behaviors before sex.

How about a 9 month waiting period! :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.