Misstep in Re-election Filings May Fell House Veteran Conyers

NY Times:

Misstep in Re-election Filings May Fell House Veteran Conyers

DETROIT — For nearly 50 years, John Conyers Jr. has represented Detroit in the House of Representatives. He is the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, a founder of the Congressional Black Caucus and the second-longest-serving member of Congress still holding office.But now he may be felled by a political mistake fit for an amateur: His petitions for re-election lack enough valid signatures.
The misstep has left politicians and constituents amazed. After all, at this point in his career, Mr. Conyers should be a shoo-in, his campaign machine fine-tuned. He first took office in 1965 during the auto industry’s boom years, long before towering debt and municipal bankruptcy took hold. Many here cannot recall when they were last represented by someone else.

“I just don’t understand how this happened to him,” said Leslie Coleman, a 57-year-old retired Detroit resident, as he walked down Michigan Avenue on Tuesday. “He’s been such a good congressman all this time. And then to make a mistake like this doesn’t make any sense.”
Yet the Conyers campaign, in a preliminary finding last week by the Wayne County clerk, apparently failed to meet a requirement that is far from onerous. Facing an August primary election in a bid for his 26th term, Mr. Conyers, who represents the 13th District, did not gather the required 1,000 valid signatures, partly because some of the campaign workers were not personally registered to vote, as required by Michigan law.

On Tuesday, it became official.
It “is my determination that in accordance with the current laws and statutes of the State of Michigan, the nominating petitions filed by Congressman John Conyers Jr. are insufficient” to allow Mr. Conyers’s name on the ballot, the official, Cathy Garrett, the county clerk, said in a statement on Tuesday. “Although I am not the final arbiter, I eagerly await the courts’ review of the constitutionality of the laws and statutes pertaining to petition circulators.”
The ruling has now set off a legal and political storm. Mr. Conyers, who turns 85 on Friday, has three days to appeal the decision to the Michigan secretary of state. He has until June 6 to get on the ballot.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think God, through the voting rules, is trying to tell Mr.Conyers and his backers that it is time to retire. :eek: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I’m amazed how long these guys hang on. Democrat, Republican, good, bad, indifferent, they all stay too long at the party.

I wonder if there might be some connection to those two items. Having people retire in their 50’s is economic suicide.

It’s a disgrace that someone has been in political office that long. Truly offensive.

We need to get term limits to move people out of these offices so we don’t have nonsense like this.

We already have a mechanisms in place to limit terms. They’re called elections.

Very true. But the quality of our electorate these days is poor. Most don’t even know who their reps are, and if they do, they can’t tell you one thing they voted for. Since our Congress people don’t know when it is time to step off the stage, I say we need term limits. Some of them can hardly walk and me thinks their brains are certainly not as sharp as they should be to hold such exaulted (?) positions.

Better yet, throw them all out and start over. :slight_smile:

From what I understand, the voters can still write him in. So guess he may still have a chance. :frowning:

DETROIT — For nearly 50 years, John Conyers Jr. has represented Detroit in the House of Representatives.

…and Detroit is a fine example of the exemplary job that Conyers has done.:slight_smile:

Having heard his positions and seen him on the House floor, I don’t think it is major loss for the United States.

AMEN!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.