Mistaken for a Priest

Today I was at the local IHOP, eating a lunch of porkchops. As I paid my bill, the cashier asked if I was a Priest! Of course I informed her politely that I was not a Priest, but that I lived a rule of life at home.

Now…why did she think I was a Priest?

1. By Los Angeles standards, my drab outfit stands out. Plain blue T-shirt that cost me all of $2 at a local thrift shop. $15 dark blue work pants from K-Mart. Scruffy, unpolished black Z-coil shoes.

2. More likely, it was my 3 inch San Damiano Crucifix, the traditional sign of a Franciscan Penitent.

3. Most likely of all was the 4 SOTCs. Two for grace before dinner, two for grace after dinner.

Posted for your amusement only.

I had a similar experience, in the line at the grocery store last week. The clerk asked me if I was a priest, and said I had an angelic face. Not even my wife ever said that (!)

Ditto me for the drab outfit. I was wearning a 3 inch St. Benedict crucifix. Not making the sign of the cross at the time, however…

And once a 12-13 year old kid in Burger King said “nice cross” and asked me if I was a Christian :slight_smile:

used to wear a 4" St Benedict crucifix which was a gift from my brother, and the one I used for my oblate profession. Somebody asked me if I was a bishop (like duh we have bishops named annie) so now I wear a 1" one on a black string.

I will have to do 500 years in purgatory for impersonating a nun–everybody here calls me Sister Annie, in spite of DH being very active and visible in the parish, and pictues of grandkids prominently displayed in my office.

Can’t you be called “Sister” if you are in a Third Order? People around here who belong to various Third Orders go around calling each other “Sister” and “Brother” all the time. :tiphat:

I don’t think I’ve ever really been mistaken for one, but I’ve had many people tell me I look like one or would make a good one or otherwise alluding to my becoming a priest in the future (which I’m not planning). “You look like a priest,” “I’ll start going to church if you become a priest,” “I’ll convert if you become a priest,” and so on and so forth.

I got mistaken for a nun.

It was a couple of months ago. I was in line for Confession wearing a long jumper with my hair up in a bun. Guess it was a little too conservative for a 40 year old.:wink:

Franciscans, yes, Benedictines, no

I’ve been mistaken many times and addressed as “Father”, especially while walking around the parish. I quickly correct that and say I’m not a priest. Could it be the grey hair (what little bit there is) and grey beard? Maybe it’s the wooden 1” Tau around my neck or the Tau pin on my collar. Or it could be that many times I am dressed in all black (Tee-shirt and dress pants usually) with sandals? The Black actually goes back to preparations for Denver in 93 and a well known singer called “The Man in Black” and a song called “Why I Wear Black”.
So now If I’m lurking around your parishes some day you will be able to pick me out!
Or maybe not.

Harry, that kind of thing wouldn’t happen if you were wearing your kilt! :wink:

Betsy

You beat me to it. haha

"Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there’s a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin’ in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he’s a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you’d think He’s talking straight to you and me.

Well, we’re doin’ mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin’ cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we’re reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin’ for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen’ that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen’ that we all were on their side.

Well, there’s things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin’ everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You’ll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I’d love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything’s OK,
But I’ll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I’m the Man In Black."

Johnny Cash R.I.P. :slight_smile:

Well, you might just fit in with some other nuns I know. Oops, ex nuns…

If I’m within two blocks of a church, folks think I’m a priest. One priest even thought I was a priest.

Don’t wear a cross.

Must be the shabby unchic clothes.

Walking around the Cathedral one early evening about 12 years ago, I was asked by someone if I was a priest. I said no but he seemed unwilling to believe me. I said that I did attend church frequently but he added that I just had a presence about me that seemed to indicate a peaceful religiosity. I thanked him for his kind words.

About 7 years ago, an old high school friend asked me if I ever went to the seminary. I said no but that perhaps I may have had a calling that I ignored. He too said a similar thing about some sort of a religious presence about me even back in high school.

Then finally about 5 years ago, a nun that taught at the high school I attended asked me if I had considered the priesthood. I said that it crossed my mind in middle school but that I never seriously considered it. She continued the conversation as if she expected that someday I would be a priest.

I don’t know what it is that other people see. Certainly I would consider myself very religious, but the priesthood is most likely out of reach for me as the circumstances in my life would probably not support a move in that direction. Unless of course God has some plans that I cannot foresee. God would have to do a lot of work in and around me for that to happen.

Andruschak, I figure you have some time on your hands. Have you been on any pilgrimages yet?

When I was out of work a few years ago, I figured out that whenever I had a job interview downtown (in Washington DC), I’d try to schedule it for early morning. And then spend the rest of the day at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. After awhile, I was sometimes asked if I worked there. I certainly know my way around and could give answers and directions. I know all the staircases and I know all my favorite places, times and things to do.

Now that I’m working (and a good job thanks be to God), I still go to the Basilica a few times a year (especially August 26th).

I note where you live and there is a Cathedral nearby – Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, in Los Angeles. And I think that you must have some really good places to make a pilgrimage to. Have you been to the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Sacramento? I see pictures on the Internet and it looks like a beautiful church to visit. Perhaps there is a monastery somewhere that you can visit and spend a day in prayer or reflection or attend a seminar.

Maybe once in awhile, have somebody look out for your cats and go on a pilgrimage.

The Cathedral of San Carlos Borromeo (Monterey)

Cathedral of the Holy Family in Orange (Orange)

and others.

Actually, I do not have that much spare time on my hands. I am age 62, and will need to work to age 70 to finance a modest retirement. I work 6 days a week at the Post Office. I go to AA meetings on a daily basis. I am in the process of becoming a penitent.

Pilgrimages may be out, but I do have The Mary And Joseph Retreat Center nearby, and have already booked a private silent retreat 9-13 July, and a guided directed retreat 12-18 August. Plus attending the CFP Conferance 25-29 July:juggle:

Sounds great. I’ve never been on a guided directed retreat. I think it would be difficult for now because I’m married and have two young children. Hope you will have a great time on your retreats. Maybe the Mary and Joseph Retreat Center will be a great place for you to visit for many years to come.

jmm08

Your’re one of those progressive nuns, huh?:stuck_out_tongue:

Well, then, become a priest!:wink:

My mom brings communion to a couple of nursing homes and has heard that some of the residents have thought she was a priest!:bigyikes:

Some probably thought it was about time but I imagine others just thought this was another sad outcome of Vatican II that they have to put up with till they get to go home.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.