Mistaken for a Priest

Isn’t Chevalier a girl? :o

Oh no. Do they have a “foot in mouth” smilie?:blush:

Does anyone who has been “mistaken” as a religious wonder if maybe that is a God talking to them through others?

Many people have called me father or asked me if I was a priest or a seminarian. Usually this happens when I wear black. Even if I wear black with stripes I have been thought of as a priest. I do wear a large St. Benedict crucifix in public. Sometimes I wear a 4 inch gold crucifix in public.
In fact, one time I was in Quebec at the Shrine of Ste Anne de Beaupre and I was going to altar serve an English Pilgrimage Mass up there. Well, when I approached the priest he thought I was going to offer the English Mass.

Anyway, I just tell people I do plan on becoming a priest.

If so, it is a little late. I am married and have a child, I don’t think it would be a good idea to become a nun now.

I bet it was the odor!!

2 Cor 2:15-16
15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life.
:smiley:

well here is a new one, I wore my usual Sunday and work attire, an a-line dress (I have several in different colors) with a jacket and “sensible” shoes, with my Benedictine cross, to Mass for the scrutinies with the Elect and then directly to the youth Lent retreat. DH was highly visible since sat next to me in church, as always, and stayed to assist with the retreat. Some of the confirmation sponsors attended with their candidates and two of them approached our pastor with an angry complaint that they hate to see nuns who don’t wear their habit! He could not make out at first who they were talking about since, we have 4 sisters, from 4 orders, active in or parish, and all wear habits. When he figured out the complaint was about me, he corrected them mildly and called to share the joke. Sometimes you just can’t win.

It’s got to be the sensible shoes. It’s just gotta. :wink:

I don’t know why religious sisters are opposed to wearing habits. It seems to me they do wear a habit: a-line skirt, jacket sensible shoes.

A priest friend invited me to come to a mass celebrated by the archbishop of his home diocese (His Eminence was in town for a pro-life conference). When I arrived at the church, my priest friend took me back to the sacristy to meet the cardinal. One of the priests asked me if I would be concelebrating. :eek: Flabbergasted, I stammered out “Uh, no,” and was then asked to be the crucifer.

I go mistaken for a priest at my daughters first communion i kept getting called father, i was wearing a black nehru suit with a high white collarless shirt all you could see of my shirt was the white rectangle where the suit jacket met, i hindsight i should have realised that it did look clergical

If so, it is way too late. I am 62 years old, way to old to be Priest, Deacon, or even a Monk. Never married, no children, but have a physical condition that may also be a barrier.

I am an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, and once a week I assist with Mass at a local nursing home (setting up, reading the first reading, and distributing Communion to the patients in their rooms who are too sick to come to Mass).

On numerous occasions I have been asked whether I am a priest (I’m a woman!), or whether I was going to say Mass (on occasions when the priest hadn’t arrived yet).

There is so much confusion! I can see why, because until recently a female Protestant minister served the nursing home, and she would give “communion” to all the residents, Protestant and Catholic alike. The staff encourages this. The Catholics don’t seem to know the difference, and the Protestants sometimes get angry when I am not able to give them Communion. What a mess!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.