Misusing Confession?

I am at a crossroads with my religious faith. I went to confession on Saturday and confessed that I had gone to non Catholic churches due to pressure from my family, which I gave into. I wanted to confess this so that I could make sure I was in a state of grace, and when I went back to mass, would be able to receive the Eucharist. I am a convert to Catholicism, and the only Catholic in the family minus relatives who live out of state. I studied to be a minister before conversion. My goal in leaving the church was to prepare myself to obtain a ministry position.

I talked to the priest about this, and he did not even give me an act of penance to do, but forgave me of my sins. I did take some time to get some prespective from him about some paths I am thinking about taking in regards to my career choices. He gave me good advice. Was this a misuse of the sacrament?

No, not at all. In fact, it’s a very good use of that opportunity. If you know there are a lot of people waiting behind you in line or something it might be courteous to come back to discuss such matters later, but otherwise that’s entirely normal.

No. In fact, you were quite blessed to receive more detailed guidance along with the Sacrament proper. Peace!! :slight_smile:

Ok thanks. I did keep it short, I was fourth out of about 8 people there to confess. That makes me feel better. Going to confession is still very ackward for me, even though I go frequently. I always feel like if I don’t doing something right, I will mess it up.

No,it is not a misuse. Priests do give counsel on things bothering us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.