Mixed messages...can the devil possess our soul?

..and if yes, to what extent?

I hear from catholics that say it's not possible and some say it is.

[quote="Ben_Sinner, post:1, topic:316467"]

[/quote]

...as in I'll here exorcists like Fr. Amorth saying the soul can't be possessed, but then here websites saying how "Padrio people healed souls possessed by the devil"

and then I search google and see titles like "common ways spirits can enter the soul of human" (I didn't click on the link because it was a pro-past life regression website)...but still....what is meant when one says "soul"?

No, is it impossible for a demon to possess our souls. Demons can have influence on us, but by no means can they “own” a soul.

Here are a few links where an apologist clarifies that a demon cannot possess a soul:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=169694&highlight=demon+possess+soul

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=41305

That’s a good question. I was under the impression that only the body can be possessed, not the actual soul.

Is this what all the other religions believe too? (including New Age)

[quote="Ben_Sinner, post:5, topic:316467"]
Is this what all the other religions believe too? (including New Age)

[/quote]

I do not answer for other religions, only Catholicism.

[quote="Ben_Sinner, post:1, topic:316467"]

[/quote]

The soul cannot be possessed by the devil.

Modern Catholic Dictionary:
POSSESSION, DEMONIC. The inner control by the devil of the actions of the body in a human being. The victim’s liberty of soul always remains intact. Possession can be continual or intermittent, and the victim need not have culpably brought on the devil’s control. There is an official exorcism provided by the Church for possessed persons. Public exorcisms must be authorized by ecclesiastical authority.

BODY. The organized material part of man that is animated by his rational soul. According to the teaching of the Council of Vienne, the rational, intellectual soul is truly and by its own nature the form of the human body (Denzinger 902). Body and soul, therefore, are united into one substance and nature.

SOUL. The spiritual immortal part in human beings that animates their body. Though a substance in itself, the soul is naturally ordained toward a body; separated, it is an “incomplete” substance. The soul has no parts, it is therefore simple, but it is not without accidents. The faculties are its proper accidents. Every experience adds to its accidental form. It is individually created for each person by God and infused into the body at the time of human insemination. It is moreover created in respect to the body it will inform, so that the substance of bodily features and of mental characteristics insofar as they depend on organic functions is safeguarded. As a simple and spiritual substance, the soul cannot die. Yet it is not the total human nature, since a human person is composed of body animated by the soul. In philosophy, animals and plants are also said to have souls, which operate as sensitive and vegetative principles of life. Unlike the human spirit, these souls are perishable. The rational soul contains all the powers of the two other souls and is the origin of the sensitive and vegetative functions in the human being.

so in a way body=soul?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.