MLA Citations -- How to cite authors of Religious Orders?

Have no idea in which sub-forum to ask this question, so I chose the one which corresponds more or less with the topic of a paper I’m writing, though the topic is not what my question is about.

I am writing an essay on human dignity, arguing that we can know by reason apart from revelation that humans have inviolable dignity (partly in response to an article written by Harvard Professor Steven Pinker entitled “The Stupidity of Dignity”). I need to use the MLA format of citations, and one of the books that I used for my research consists of excerpts from the writings of Edith Stein, who is indicated as the author. However, it also has an introduction by a different author who is a Carmelite priest.

Two questions follow:

1. In citing the book for the bibliogrphay, do I need to include the name of the author of the introduction (John Sullivan, OCD), even though I am NOT referencing the introduction in any part of my essay?

In other words, if a book has a different author for its preface, is the book considered as having two authors?

1. If I do need to cite the author of the introduction, do I include the abbreviation of his religious order?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!! I have to submit this paper by the end of today.

Since you are quoting from a book of excerpts, you would need the editor’s name, but not the name (if a different person) of the writer of the Introduction.

If you are quoting from or referring to something in the Introduction, and that writer is not the editor, the name would be mentioned in the body of your essay, but not in the citation.

Forgot to answer your 2nd question! Yes, I would use his full name, with abbreviation for his order, on the first mention. Later mentions need only last name or Rev. Last Name or Fr. Last Name.

If you are not citing the introduction I would not include the author as part of the entry. Only if you were specifically mentioning something from the introduction would it be necessary to mention the author.

If you were to mention the author you would not include the initials per this site: aresearchguide.com/11guide.html

Ignore any titles, designations or degrees, etc. which appear before or after the name, e.g., The Honourable, Dr., Mr., Mrs., Ms., Rev., S.J., Esq., Ph.D., M.D., Q.C., etc. Exceptions are Jr. and Sr. Do include Jr. and Sr. as John Smith, Jr. and John Smith, Sr. are two different individuals. Include also I, II, III, etc. for the same reason.

You would list the Author who is excerpted, and the editor who complied the quotes, with the abbreviation “, ed” appended at the end.

The Introduction is effectively a separate chapter, and its author need not be mentioned.

(libguides.dixie.edu/content.php?pid=5025&sid=604112)

1. If I do need to cite the author of the introduction, do I include the abbreviation of his religious order?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!! I have to submit this paper by the end of today.

Can bypass the issue!

Actually, according to the source, you need not list the excerpted author, just the editor (although might still do so indirectly if the title of work gives the excerpted author’s name).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.