MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism

from The Times of London:

MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism

THE doctor who sparked the scare over the safety of the MMR vaccine for children changed and misreported results in his research, creating the appearance of a possible link with autism, a Sunday Times investigation has found.

Confidential medical documents and interviews with witnesses have established that Andrew Wakefield manipulated patients’ data, which triggered fears that the MMR triple vaccine to protect against measles, mumps and rubella was linked to the condition.

The research was published in February 1998 in an article in The Lancet medical journal. It claimed that the families of eight out of 12 children attending a routine clinic at the hospital had blamed MMR for their autism, and said that problems came on within days of the jab. The team also claimed to have discovered a new inflammatory bowel disease underlying the children’s conditions.

However, our investigation, confirmed by evidence presented to the General Medical Council (GMC), reveals that: In most of the 12 cases, the children’s ailments as described in The Lancet were different from their hospital and GP records. Although the research paper claimed that problems came on within days of the jab, in only one case did medical records suggest this was true, and in many of the cases medical concerns had been raised before the children were vaccinated. Hospital pathologists, looking for inflammatory bowel disease, reported in the majority of cases that the gut was normal. This was then reviewed and the Lancet paper showed them as abnormal.

Thanks to this doctor’s fraud millions of people will go on believing that vaccinations cause autism no matter how much research shows otherwise and who knows how many parents have refused to have their children vaccinated?

I work with several families with autistic children, and it amazes me how many of them believe that the vaccinations caused the condition.

I work with several families with autistic children, and it amazes me how many of them believe that the vaccinations caused the condition.

It’s sad, but somewhat understandable. These parents are struggling with a very mysterious condition. I guess any explanation is better than none.

Having worked with autistic children, I salute your continued effort. It’s not an easy road.

John

I wonder how many children of well-meaning, but misinformed parents, will get sick because they never got the shots? In some areas, it is very fashonable to not have your child vaccinated.

Yep, I know.

And those of us who refuse the MMR vaccine because it is morally illicit to use it without serious reason (e.g., epidemic) are constantly getting lumped in with this guy’s followers.

ohhhhh - I predict this thread gets closed in about 20 more posts.

Some folks get mighty irritable with mention of this topic.

MMR + Chickenpox Vaccine from Merck ( ProQuad/MMR-V)
are derived from FETAL cell lines: RA273, WI-38, MRC-5

There is no ethical alternative yet.

:popcorn:

I think that very few people are aware of the relationship to fetal cells.

John

Off topic.

If you stick to the topic, this thread stands a chance.

Most of the studies that claim vaccines do not cause Autism are worthless, as they are not double blind. This story proves nothing. I know several parents who’ve seen their children spiral into a whole other world within hours of their vaccinations. I find it interesting that others are so quick to dismiss these experiences.

1. How is it off-topic? The implication of the post is that it’s OK to use these vaccines, anyway, and it’s not. It’s challenging one of the premises implied in the original post.

2. "I know several parents who’ve seen their children spiral into a whole other world within hours of their vaccinations. I find it interesting that others are so quick to dismiss these experiences."
    I have Asperger’s, and from what I’ve read on Autism websites, there is a huge difference here.

1. the symptoms of mercury poisoning are very similar to Autism, but they are not exactly the same, and certainly not the same condition. So, a) people with mercury poisoning seem autistic but are not; and b) mercury poisoning might aggravate the symptoms of people who are genetically predisposed to autism.
  2. Vaccines no longer have mercury in them, though there are many places where mercury poisoning can occur (pesticides, breakage of thermometers, etc.).

A vaccine operates by triggering the immune system to fight off a disease that isn’t there, in order to create the antibodies that will fight off the infection if it ever enters the body for real. There is plenty of ground for an argument that vaccines might contribute to allergies and autoimmune disorders.

Whether Autism is related to autoimmune or allergies is debatable. Autoimmune disorders are all linked to the HLA (Human Leukocyte Allele) gene. There is debate whether Celiac, MS, Sjogren’s, Lupus, etc., are really the same genetic disorder, manifested differently in different people, or whether they are different mutations on the same gene.

It is well known, among parents, at least, if not among physicians, that allergies cause various behavioral issues. Red Dye #40, banned in some countries, is a classic example. When my 4 year old has dairy, she gets psychotic: hallucinates, screams uncontrollably, abuses her siblings. When my 7 year old-already diagnosed ADHD–has red dye #40, she goes absolutely wild.

When my kids don’t get their vitamins, they’re oppositional defiant.

So, nutrition and allergies do play a role in kids’ behavior. The artificial triggering of the immune system by vaccines is similar to an allergic reaction.

The problem is that people go on the wrong tracks when discussing (or researching) this question.

Do vaccinations “cause” autism? No. Autism is a genetic trait. People who are “autistic spectrum” marry each other and end up with outright autistic kids.

Do vaccinations exacerbate autism? Very likely, since many parents and some researchers argue that dietary and allergic issues have effects on kids’ behavior.

Totally on topic.

We worry so much about the junk food our kids eat, but then we shoot them up with chemicals and don’t ask questions?

Totally on topic.

[size=3]cogforlife.org/[/size]
[size=3][/size]
**[size=3]

[/size]
[size=3]A Faith Based Biotech Company? One that is motivated by morals, not money? Who would believe it could ever happen![/size]
Background
In the fall of 1999, Children of God for Life began the Campaign for Ethical Vaccines in an effort to put an end to the use of aborted fetal cell lines in vaccines and medical products. We were laughed at by some, chastised by others and probably hated by a few. Despite the obvious problem even some of our fellow pro-lifers were skeptical. They said it couldn’t be done. They told us we were wasting our time - the pharmaceutical industry would not change, would never listen. But Children of God for Life did listen - to the heartfelt anguish of thousands who saw the grave necessity to bring about changes in the industry - to stop the exploitation of our unborn for profit - to allow families and physicians a moral choice in protecting their families, without compromising their pro-life and religious convictions. We listened, we worked tirelessly around the clock and we waited patiently for our efforts to bear fruit. And we came to understand that the more you complain the longer God lets you live! And oh yes, we complained loudly - to God - to every pro-life group, to leaders of all faiths, to members of the House and Senate in DC and to the pharmaceutical industry especially
**!

I am aware of it & we’ve been able to get religious exemptions for those vaccinations.
The rubella vaccine connection to aborted fetal cells was a big item in British newspapers several years back.
We were able to receive separate vaccines for measles & mumps for our children through the local health dept.
The sad thing is that the measles component of the MMR vaccine which is ethically produced, may no longer be available as a single vaccine.Ditto for the mumps component of the MMR. The rubella component has been the part that was created from a fetal cell line.
I’m thinking the autism increase has to be in part related to a huge inclusion of behaviors into the autism “spectrum” & a greater awareness & higher reporting of autism.
Throwing all those vaccines together & vaccinating at such a young age could have some undesirable effect on children.
Ultrasounds have also increased during the last 20 years & there are those who believe ultrasounds have a damaging effect on a developing child’s nervous system.
The use of pitocin during labor has also been questioned.
Who knows?

dihydrogen monoxide has also been identified as a serious health risk yet efforts to ban it have been totally unsuccessful and even ridiculed.

:wink: I bet a whole lot of folks Up North would like to ban the frozen version after this winter.

I certainly wasn’t and I’m not denigrating anyone who refuses vaccination for their children on moral grounds as opposed to pseudo-scientific grounds.

These parents can believe studies or not – it doesn’t change the fact that the original study was faked.
I’m afraid that once a “meme” gets out there it’s impossible to shake it loose. Highly subjective “experiences” are not evidence. Parents desperate for and explanation may retroactively “realise” that behavior which was already changing altered suddenly after the shot.

I’m not “dismissing” the hardship these people suffer – but we shouldn’t take their word as science either. My son has ADHD (a walk in the park compared to autism I know) and I remember going to support group when he was little, everyone had a pet theory and a diet or vitamins to put him on. We stuck to doctor’s advice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.