MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism

Times of London:

MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism

THE doctor who sparked the scare over the safety of the MMR vaccine for children changed and misreported results in his research, creating the appearance of a possible link with autism, a Sunday Times investigation has found.

Confidential medical documents and interviews with witnesses have established that Andrew Wakefield manipulated patients’ data, which triggered fears that the MMR triple vaccine to protect against measles, mumps and rubella was linked to the condition.

The research was published in February 1998 in an article in The Lancet medical journal. It claimed that the families of eight out of 12 children attending a routine clinic at the hospital had blamed MMR for their autism, and said that problems came on within days of the jab. The team also claimed to have discovered a new inflammatory bowel disease underlying the children’s conditions.

Of course this won’t change the minds of all the anti0vaccine nuts.

Good article.

But the comment structure???
You do know, by their own admissions the UN and WHO have some interesting proposals to promote sterilization, don’t you?

Some vaccines are created using human embryos…I’m told.

I think, there is reason to be concerned.

I was alled a ‘nut’…“flat earther” etc…for not believing AGW and IPCC

Wakefield’s work in this regard has been debunked for several years; most (if not all but don’t quote me) of the coauthors on the relevant study have even openly disavowed such a purported link. So the Times is slighty behind the curve here (although – fortunately – still on the right side of it. Mainstream journalism can be appallingly lacking in competence in covering medical issues). Unfortunately, parents with children battling such conditions can come off as desperate (OK, can be desperate, understandably sometimes). This opens the door for opportunists to play along with their efforts to try things way outside the range of parents’ normal sensicalities.

Two other cultural movements catalyze the acceptance of this theory. One is the growing imperative to be one’s children’s advocate, of doing “everything” for one’s children, and the growing stigma of not appearing to do so (a much more common manifestation of this is ‘helicopter parenting’). This greatly raises the threshold of what I call parents’ “BS meter”. The other is a growing particular strain of anti-intellectualism in the West which is culminating in a rabid distrust of establishment science. Two examples: it amazes me (and I think 100 years from now history will share my amazement retrospectively) that the pharmaceutical industry, even with its well documented warts, now occupies much the same place in the public eye as the tobacco industry did 25 years ago. If one compares the legacy these industries have had and are having on public health, it is astonishing that they can be even remotely compared (again, even after considering the pharmaceutical industry’s deficiencies). And one of the more noteworthy advocates of the MMR link is actress Jenny McCarthy; I am amazed that a significant subset of people will prefer to take medical advice from a former Playboy bunny than from their doctor.

Add the parents’ pressures to this and we have fertile ground for such types of theories and movements.

On another note: to my knowledge, there are no longer stem cell objections with this particular vaccine. But admittedly my knowledge of this is not ironclad.

Send this link to Jenny McCarthy and to people in hollywood.

Ms. McCarthy and others within the anti-vaccination movement are very well aware of Dr. Wakefield, he was guest of honor at a large Autism conference in Chicago this past summer.

His license to practice medicine is currently under review in England. There are numerous charges beyond falsifying data being looked at by whatever group controls licensing over there.

Apology: I probably shouldn't have used the term "nuts" in any case but I had in mind the Jenny McCarthy don't-bother-me-with-science brigade, not, repeat, not anyone who has moral problems with the way vaccines are manufactured.

[quote="didymus, post:6, topic:185085"]
Apology: I probably shouldn't have used the term "nuts" in any case but I had in mind the Jenny McCarthy don't-bother-me-with-science brigade, not, repeat, not anyone who has moral problems with the way vaccines are manufactured.

[/quote]

:hug1::hug1:

To all of you previous posters, you obviously don’t have children with autism. Until you do, you will have no idea what it’s like. To label us “nuts” or whatever else some of you said is hurtful. If you’re only interested in passing judgement, why are you on this site?
Jenny McCarthy is a sinner just like you and me, does that make her crazy? King David was much worse than she, yet we all sing his Psalms every Sunday at Mass. God can work through anyone. Jenny’s books have been a blessing in my life. Yes, my son is autistic and thanks to her story and dedication to children, we are on our way to a recovery. Yes, God works through Jenny McCarthy.

1. With all due respect, you obviously do not know about my children. But don’t worry about it. Like I said in a previous post, parents like you and me can become quite desperate, and I understand your frustration. (look at my handle: it is not only about Corinthians)

2. I agree ‘nuts’ was a bad term. I would reserve terms like that only to charletans who promote such things fraudulently, to exploit the desperate and vulnerable to make a buck. Only ‘nuts’ is not the term I’d use.:wink:

3. I don’t want to sidetrack this about Ms McCarthy. She (or rather, her credibility on somthing totally, totally outside her expertise) was merely an example demonstrating the certain kind of anti-intellectualism I was talking about. Your endorsement of her would be near impossible without it. However, she is just an example – there are others, on other topics as well.

P.S. I am glad you mention things are going well (although “recovery” is probably not the best word). Only since you mention it will I offer the recommendation for you to read Autism’s False Prophets by Dr. Paul Offit. Note the homophonic “Prophets”; it is surely no coincidence. I do acknowledge the author’s conflict of interest (and his occasional condescension) but also endorse the science he presents.

ageofautism.com/2009/08/paul-offit-on-dateline-nbc-the-29-million-vaccine-man.html

Wow...if someone gave me 29 or 46 million dollars, I'd say vaccines are okay too...wouldn't you?
Gee, what's his motivation?:thumbsup:

Jenny McCarthy and Dr. Paul Offit are not being called to testify in Dr. Wakefield’s review by the medical review board in England. Hopefully, the review panel will limit their review to facts and not hysteria. From what I have been able to determine the questions they are pursuing are straight forward but may be difficult to answer.

Did he falsify his data? Did he violate ethical standards by using a family birthday party to draw blood samples for his study from some of the little children in attendance? Was he being paid by a group of attorneys that were suing drug companies?

I am sure that a wide spectrum (pun intended) of opinion can be found regarding Dr. Wakefield but none of it really matters until the review board issues it’s findings.

[quote="fosterjoy, post:10, topic:185085"]
ageofautism.com/2009/08/paul-offit-on-dateline-nbc-the-29-million-vaccine-man.html

Wow...if someone gave me 29 or 46 million dollars, I'd say vaccines are okay too...wouldn't you?
Gee, what's his motivation?:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Great unbiased, well researched wbesite and article you posted. :rolleyes:

[quote="fosterjoy, post:8, topic:185085"]
To all of you previous posters, you obviously don't have children with autism. Until you do, you will have no idea what it's like.

[/quote]

Actually, I am a parent of a child with autism (and I have Aspergers Syndrome). It can be very difficult and frustrating at times, but it can be joyful as well.

To label us "nuts" or whatever else some of you said is hurtful. If you're only interested in passing judgement, why are you on this site?

They were only saying that people who believe the autism/MMR link are "nuts", not parents with autistic children. The reason they say this is because the autism/MMR link theory was debunked virtually as soon as it came out and the "research methods" used in it were quite questionable (ie: the doctor forced the evidence to conclude what he wanted rather than let the evidence show what it actually showed.), plus there has been loads of independent research done that all concludes that there is no link between autism and the MMR vaccine that seems to be ignored.

I can understand the frustration because there is no known cause of autism, and it is very hard to accept that we have nothing to blame for what has happened (which is why I believe that most people will believe the autism/MMR link, no matter how absurd is sounds).

But believing something that is obviously false isnt going to help.

Jenny McCarthy is a sinner just like you and me, does that make her crazy? King David was much worse than she, yet we all sing his Psalms every Sunday at Mass.

No, that doesnt make her crazy, not being able to make up her mind on what caused her sons autism helps (first it was the mercury in vaccines, wiched they had tests that showed no link between autism and vaccines and they stopped using in 1998 before her son was born. then there was something else about mercury).

The way she talks about her son isnt right, like when she got the diagnosis she "died inside". I know that I didnt have that reaction when my son was diagnosed, I was shocked yes, but he is still my son and I love him no matter what.

She is a very dangerous woman who has no clue what she is talking about, she discourages people from vaccinating their children and now kids are dieing of things like measles because they are not vaccinated.

That in itself offends me, that people would rather their children die ar be brain damaged from mealses and such than have their children be autistic. Is autism so much worse than death?

God can work through anyone. Jenny's books have been a blessing in my life. Yes, my son is autistic and thanks to her story and dedication to children, we are on our way to a recovery. Yes, God works through Jenny McCarthy.

Jenny McCartthy is a self serving media floosey who will stoop to anything to get herself seen, its all about her.

There is no recovery from autism, there is no cure. All you can do is to help to prepare them. Early intervention helps as does being realistic and positive. Jenny McCarthy only helps herself.

I agree with the rolling eyes. The single message on this web site is don’t vaccinate children. Very dangerous advice.

I would rather not sidetrack this thread any more. However, if we think about its real topic, Dr. Wakefield, the sidetracking becomes very telling.

Wakefield's science has been thoroughly discredited, certainly on a population basis. Now we find his ethics have come into doubt. But do you know what?

If that paper had never been published, we would not be having this discussion. There would be no McCartys or her ilk, leading MDs would not be receiving death threats, etc. A good lesson there is here: our decisions can have repercussions well beyond what we might expect. We should thus strive to make good decisions, even in the most mundane context, because we never can totally predict the consequences. If one has ever seen It's a Wonderful Life, one understands this to a fault.

But this is the great thing about medicine and even science in general: eventually nature always wins. The truth always comes out. Let's let the system do its work with respect to Wakefield, and let's offer prayers to parents in challenging circumstances, for strength; to those who would prey on them, for conversion; and to those who mean well but are misguided, for wisdom.

No, the message is not “Don’t vaccinate.” But it is one of responsible vaccinating. Vaccines need to be natural and unpreserved. They need to be spaced out so the body has time to recover after each one. Mercury is a poison (in any amount) and aluminum damages the immune system. These are facts that the pharmaceutical companies ignore.
I can see that I’m in the minority here on the forum.:sad_yes:
By the way, I don’t see autism as worse than death. In fact, it has been a huge blessing to me and my family. Because of my son, we all have embraced the biomedical/naturalistic approach. We eat much better. We are healthier and each developmental milestone my son reaches is a great gift that we all rejoice in. His therapist are some of the most beautiful and knowledgeable people I’ve ever met and they all promote the natural treatment because they have seen it’s benefits in the countless others they have worked with. Whatever way I look at it, it has been a blessing.
You all may disagree, and that’s okay.:thumbsup:
God bless!

As a parent I know that my worst fear would be while trying to protect my child from something to cause something “bad” to happen in its place.

When I first became a parent I was hypervigelent about getting my children vaccinated. Then I started reading the medical journals and listening to both sides of this story both sides I look on with grave doubts as to thier scientific research and conclusions. It makes scence that because of the fact that a baby is born with a developing immune system and that thier little brains are more sensitive to toxins such as used in the perservatives that spaced out shots should be the norm. But that is me. I grew up with my Grandmother who was a nurse telling me stories about diptheria and polio and I am a firm believer in vaccinations but I do think that 5 shots or 3 shots in one day to a infant is to much thats common scence.

As to the Autism link I am undecided I think there is probably as much evidence for as against it. I have never heard of the two people mentioned in this post but am going to research.
Peace,
Angel

[quote="fosterjoy, post:16, topic:185085"]
No, the message is not "Don't vaccinate." But it is one of responsible vaccinating. Vaccines need to be natural and unpreserved. They need to be spaced out so the body has time to recover after each one. Mercury is a poison (in any amount) and aluminum damages the immune system. These are facts that the pharmaceutical companies ignore.

[/quote]

Ignored it so much they removed it from their vaccines over a decade ago.

[quote="wabrams, post:18, topic:185085"]
Ignored it so much they removed it from their vaccines over a decade ago.

[/quote]

I believe many vaccines still contain aluminum. Also most versions of the flu shot still use thimerosol (mercury)...

You are correct, mini-me.
If you want an updated list of all vaccine ingredients, Dr. Sears has one in his book...can't think of the name right now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.