Model in L.A. feelng lost and missing family

I’ve been struggling with what to do for a while…I’m a model living in Hollywood and while I am successful here, I miss my family SO much. I keep thinking if it is worth staying here all alone but successful or move back and be with them. I’m, 22 but have lived by myself in my condo (but a few minutes away) from my parents for years before moving to Hollywood 4 months ago.
My heart tells me to go back but part of me thinks I’m need to grow up sometime and it’s natural to miss them. I want to pray for an answer but that just seems selfish…I really don’t know what to do and I can honestly tell you it is tearing me apart.

-Lonely Model

It is wonderful that you and your family have such a strong bond that you miss them. But the pain of being so far away can be incredibly difficult to deal with. I'm assuming you have a computer of your own, or are you borrowing one to post here at CAF?
If you have your own computer, does it have a built in webcam, or can you install one, or get a friend to install one. We have webcam chats with our family who lives cross-country from us, and it is amazing how it makes them seem like they are so much closer to us. My husband set up a Gmail account so that we could do webcam calls. Maybe you could try that and see if it eases your loneliness. Also, have you found a church in your area yet? Our family has found that having a local church community helps us not feel so isolated.
Definitely continue praying about your loneliness and missing your family. That is not selfishness, that is what God want us to do. We are to bring to Him all our cares and worries, and let Him tend to our needs. We are never expected to deal with trials on our own!
I hope you find your way. If being a model is an important career goal for yourself, and not something you are doing because other people tell you that you should, then keep at it. But definitely find ways to keep in touch with your loved ones on a daily basis.

P.S. Have you tried texting, Facebook, and email to keep connected, too? Technology really has an interesting way of making your loved ones seem like they are right in the room with you.

First of all, to pray for an answer to your dilemma is not at all selfish. You are seeking good and truth. Pray hard on this! Through prayer, you are saying, "Lord, I cannot make this decision on my own. I need You." That is not selfishness, but in fact, it is an act of humility.

It is natural for us to miss the ones we love. I only live about an hour from my family (I'm a freshman in college), and I still miss them greatly. However, it is not wrong to have to be away from the ones we love physically. Sometimes, it is necessary (for example, a soldier called on active duty) Take heart, though, we can still be close to them emotionally and spiritually, and we should stay close to them emotionally and spiritually.

Here's a few ways to stay close to your family without being close to them physically:

1. Phone calls, e-mail, mail, Facebook, any of these things are great ways in which we can communicate with each other. We must stay connected to the ones we love. I regularly call and e-mail my family, and thus still feel very close to them, even though I am still miles away physically.

2. Pray for your family. Praying and asking God to continue to keep your family safe and to guide them is always beneficial. God wants to help as many people as He can.

3. Remember, you are never alone. No matter where you go, no matter who you are, no matter what you do, Jesus Christ is right there, beside you. He is there to celebrate with you when you achieve, to guide you when you are unsure, to console you when you are sad, to pick you up when you fall down, to love you and hold you always. He loves you. You will never know how much He loves you. Have you ever heard the story/poem "Footprints"?

A man had a dream one night. He dreamt he was walking on a beach.

Walking with him was the Lord.

As they walked, the man noticed behind him were footprints, his and the Lord's.

Each footprint represented an event in the man's life.

The man noticed especially the footprints that represented the trials and sufferings of life.

He noticed even more that during these times, there was only one set of footprints.

This troubled the man, and he asked Christ, "Why is it, Lord, that when I was suffering, there are only one set of footprints? Why would You leave me when I need You the most?"

Jesus turned to the man and said, warmly, "My child, you are mistaken. Indeed there are only one set of footprints when you were suffering. For during those times you were suffering, where you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

God bless.

22 is a healthy age for a young adult to move away from family and spread her wings a little. It is normal to feel homesick.
Have you ever heard of Catholic Underground? I am pretty sure L.A. has one like they do in NYC here on the East Coast. You will be able to find a really vibrant community of serious young adult Catholics.

I recently moved out to L.A. about 1.5 years ago. L.A. is such a hard place to be alone in. I woukld recommend skype to keep in touch with your family. I would also recommend praying. I know of a lot of amazing Catholic things going on in the commnity so please p.m. me if you want more details. I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless!

Get involved with your Parish. They are your family in Christ.

Many years from now, when you are lying on your deathbed & you look back on your life, will your modeling career, your fame & money be standing next to you, or will Jesus Christ & your beloved family be there for you???

**Go home & love your family!

i left home at 18, never to return. My mom & dad are now long dead, but with God’s Infinite Mercy, in Heaven, but i regret not being there for them.

i was selfish & self centered, successful in the eyes of the world, yet never satisfied until i gave my life to our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ!**

**"And he said to all, “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” (LK 9:23)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Thank you all for your wonderful answers! You have no idea how much I struggled with this before finding this site.
Well I’ve modeled for several years but would fly back/forth and lived at my condo near my parents. I wanted to move to L.A. because I was tired of all the traveling and thought it would be easier to be local.
My family and I are very close and I would see them 2 or 3 times a week and now I haven’t seen them for 2 months. I call my parents everyday and text my sister everyday as well but it’s just not the same. I haven’t thought of skype but to be honest with you, I would probably break down if I saw them and I wouldn’t want them to see that. I put up a brave face and I never tell my family how much I miss them because I don’t want them to worry.
I do go to Church here every Sunday and I know what I do is just a job and not WHO I am but other people don’t realize that. It’s almost…aggrivating and disappointing to come across so many unfaithful people. I finish a shoot or fashion show and come home to my dogs. This is when I miss my family and wonder if it’s worth it, or if I’m simply homesick and that everyone goes through this.

And as long as you remember that always, you will stay close to God. It is a sad world we live in that many are so lost in the traps of promiscuity and lust that they do not realize that sexual desire can be so much more than just pleasure.

I pray that you stay true to God, you may continue to live the noble way of chastity, and that you may someday find a man who treats you as you are: A beautiful, unique, intelligent gift of God.

God bless you.

I'd personally give it a year and then decide what to do. By that time you will have gained more of the experience (hopefully good!) that led you there in the first place.

Good luck!

Summer is coming up. Is there any chance that someone from your family or hometown can come and visit you for a few weeks?

II’m going to take a few days off to visit the family for Mother’s Day and maybe join some groups at my Church like you guys suggested. Today was just really hard and I needed to talk. It’s easier when you have someone, even if it’s online, to bond over faith and reassure you. And you guys have definitely eased my mind. God bless you all! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.