Modern Family Values

Someone posted the following on another thread:

"Most people have loved ones who are gay, know someone who has aborted or are out of wedlock children."

I don't have any loved ones (family or friends) who are homosexual. My BIL's ex is a lesbian and a couple people in the subdivision are lesbians, but those are the few gay people I know.

I don't know anyone who has had an abortion, though I realize that is something someone might not share.

I do have a few relatives on both sides of the family who had a child out of wedlock.

Based on the "most" in the statement above, I was curious to know if I am a minority among CAF posters in those areas or not, so I thought I'd post a poll.

My cousin and a friend of mine are homosexual

A girl I was friends with in college had an abortion.

my sister and all three of her daughters have a child or children out of wedlock as has my one nephew.

DH's niece is gay...
DH's nephew has a child out of wedlock...
(obvious issues with that particular side of the family)

I don't know of anyone who has admitted having an abortion... but I venture to guess there are more unknowns than any of us can imagine.

Unfortunately I know many women who had an abortion, some of them are family members. I'd rather not know about these things but women often want sympathy so they share.

I have one friend who has a child out of wedlock. And to go back to family, my mom was born out of wedlock and grew up without a father.

My family is not exactly a good role model but definitely fits with 'modern values'. Sad.

My first child was conceived and born out of wedlock. I am now happily married to her father, although I realize I am a lucky minority.

I have loved ones and friends that are gay.

My best friend is a single mom who was never married.

I voted that I didn't know someone who had an abortion, but now that I think about it an acquaintance did have one, which she deeply regretted and still has nightmares about.

I have friends who are gay.

I can list hordes of people I know (some family, some friends, some acquaintances) who have had children out of wedlock.

And I know 2 women who have had an abortion.

I wouldn't say that women who have had an abortion are looking for sympathy per se; I would say that they feel trauma and need to talk about it.

Women are fed a lie that having an abortion will just erase the whole experience. The abortion only created guilt and mourning for the loss of the sweet baby that once was.

I was born in 1960 to a single mother.

I've known scads of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered men and women in all aspects of my life; some have been/are friends, some were/are colleagues, others I've served as part of my job.

My first employer out of graduate school required community service in my professional field for me remain employed. In that capacity I volunteered with an NGO and spent two years working with prostitutes, helping them learn non-sex industry related skills so that they could find employment as waitresses, hotel cleaners, maids, and beauticians if/when they decided to leave the bar scene. A lot of them were prostitutes because prostitution supported their gambling addictions. I can't tell you the number of card and dice games I saw where five or six women, who combined didn't have 10 years of formal education among them, gambled with more money they'd made in one night's work than a typical laborer could make in a month. So, yeah, our work was an uphill battle. We had the most success with the women who were starting to age out of the bar scene - most can't do it much past 30 - and needed skills to fall back on to support their families.

Three women I've known have had abortions.

Right now professionally I serve teenagers, many of whom are immigrants or refugees, all of whom are minorities, some of whom have second and even third generation gang affiliations, a lot of whom have been diagnosed with one mental illness or another, and all of whom have criminal convictions. A shockingly high number of them also have children with multiple partners. I'm pretty unflappable, but at the beginning of the month one 17-year-old young man told me that his current girlfriend is pregnant with his fourth child. I didn't know what to say to that. I still don't, honestly.

Friends and Family that are gay. Yes.

One close friend had an abortion, I don't know if she regrets it, but she was not even going to tell me until she called me shortly afterwords. On the phone, I just had feeling all of sudden and blurted out "Your pregnant aren't you and congrats. I'm going to be an uncle!" I was the "maid" of honor in her wedding and we were close at that time. She did it two days before she called. She knew I was pro-life so she did not want to tell me, but she felt she had to after that. I realizes it is irrational but I still feel guilty about it. You know the If only I called a month or even a week earlier to give her the support her husband failed to. I still think she would have been an awesome mother.

Children born out of wedlock... Strange thing is I actually don't know any personally, but I have heard second hand accounts.

I don't know how you could live and function in the workplace for any length of time or be a member of a large extended family without answering yes to all those question.

My question for you is, so what? What do my poll answers have to do with my family values? am I supposed to have a guard dog and alarm system or some kind of xray that examinese everyone who walks in the door and judges their moral probity?

Oh Annie…your candid attitude is refreshing :stuck_out_tongue:

My brother and a few friends are gay, my dad and several cousins and friends had out-of-wedlock babies, and I have a little niece or nephew who was aborted.

:sad_yes:

but for every out-of-wedlock child you know, that is a woman who stood up and refused to terminate her pregnancy.

:thumbsup:

The abortion stats make me the saddest :frowning:

The older I get, the more pro-life I feel…

I can only hope that those women repent and feel remorse for their actions.

Just remember: Of course premarital sex is a sin… but for every out-of-wedlock child you know, that is a woman who stood up and refused to terminate her pregnancy. Good for her in that realm. We know we will be met with criticism and disdain, but despite the societal pressure we chose the life of our child over everything else! :heart:
That little baby can erase all doubt about ones’ decisions.

[quote="themeginthemoon, post:13, topic:245014"]
The. but for every out-of-wedlock child you know, that is a woman who stood up and refused to terminate her pregnancy. .

[/quote]

there is also a weasel masquerading as a man who refused to take responsibility for his own actions and left a woman to raise a child on her own.

why did your poll not ask home many skunks or jerks do you know who can't keep their pants zipped? (as long as refreshing candor is being encouraged today).

I’d have family stats for that as well :blush:

[quote="puzzleannie, post:14, topic:245014"]
there is also a weasel masquerading as a man who refused to take responsibility for his own actions and left a woman to raise a child on her own.
(as long as refreshing candor is being encouraged today).

[/quote]

Luckily... my husband "manned up" in this department....

why did your poll not ask home many skunks or jerks do you know who can't keep their pants zipped? (as long as refreshing candor is being encouraged today).

[/quote]

Preach it sister!!!

Too many men are allowed to walk away from their responsibilities scott free!! It's wonderful that single moms chose life, but it took two to tango!

The only friend/loved one I ever knew for sure was gay, passed away from AIDS.

:frowning:

I have a nephew in heaven, who was aborted. Since about 50% of all women, including Catholics, have had or will have at least one abortion, I’m pretty sure all of us know someone who has had an abortion, or we’ve had one ourselves.

And my living nephew was born out of wedlock.

My cousin's an abortionist.

And I went to school and worked in the theatere department. Don't ask, don't tell is the policy in my family as far as sexuality...and no one...straight or not...is allowed make out scenes in front of anyone else. We're boisterious but there are very clear lines.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:10, topic:245014"]
I don't know how you could live and function in the workplace for any length of time or be a member of a large extended family without answering yes to all those question.

My question for you is, so what? What do my poll answers have to do with my family values? am I supposed to have a guard dog and alarm system or some kind of xray that examinese everyone who walks in the door and judges their moral probity?

[/quote]

I thought I was pretty straightforward in my reason for the poll. I guess I was mistaken. I apologize.

See my original post below. Someone made a statement that I personally found to be inaccurate.

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:1, topic:245014"]
Someone posted the following on another thread:

"Most people have loved ones who are gay, know someone who has aborted or are out of wedlock children."

I don't have any loved ones (family or friends) who are homosexual. My BIL's ex is a lesbian and a couple people in the subdivision are lesbians, but those are the few gay people I know.

I don't know anyone who has had an abortion, though I realize that is something someone might not share.

I do have a few relatives on both sides of the family who had a child out of wedlock.

Based on the "most" in the statement above, I was curious to know if I am a minority among CAF posters in those areas or not, so I thought I'd post a poll.

[/quote]

Only one of those three things is true for me as far as I know, so I am curious to know if:

1. The statement is accurate and I am an oddity.
  2. The statement is inaccurate.

I suppose my loved ones, my family, is somewhat limited. It isn’t a large extended family, but it isn’t small either, I guess. My Mom and Dad’s generation has/had 26 relatives, my generation has/had 34 cousins/sibs and my kids’ generation has 70 so far. I don’t know many in the last generation as well as I know the other two generations, but I just don’t really know any homosexuals or someone who has had an abortion. I do have relatives who were conceived or born out of wedlock. My husband’s family only has 10 in the first generation, 14 in the second generation and 25 in the third and the same applies regarding homosexuals and abortion. He too has relatives either conceived or born out of wedlock. The only gay relative on his side that I know of is his former SIL. The entire time that she was married to hubby’s brother, they lived out of state, so we never got to know her very well and were never close.

I suppose a relative is gay or had an abortion and I just don’t know about it. I had two aunts who never married. They lived together until one died at about age 33. The surviving aunt never dated anyone as far as I know and never married. I suppose she could be gay. If she is, I don't know about it. I just wanted to know if not knowing is odd or not. Is the world so much different than I realize?

[/quote]

That wasn’t part of the original statement, again posted below.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.