Modern Family Values

You definitely know someone who has had an abortion, because approximately half of all women have. But it’s unlikely they would ever confide in you. As for the gay thing - well, they are only about 3% of the general population so you might not, especially in certain areas of the country. Out of wedlock children are fairly common these days but you might not have anyone in your family who is…But that’s another thing you might not know about unless you are very close to someone.

0 Likes

So, it appears that I misunderstood the statement (in blue in posts above). Maybe the poster was making a general statement that we all know someone who has had an abortion, we just don’t know we know that someone and we also all have a loved one (either family or friend) who is gay, sometimes we just don’t know we know him/her. I took it to mean most people are aware, so I guess I erred on the meaning of the statement.

I have several relatives who either had a baby before they got married or got pregnant and then decided it would be a good time to get married before the baby arrived. A family member has a son and she has never married. Thankfully, all chose life for their babies.

0 Likes

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:20, topic:245014"]
I suppose a relative is gay or had an abortion and I just don’t know about it.

[/quote]

This is your answer.

0 Likes

[quote="karow, post:23, topic:245014"]
This is your answer.

[/quote]

I suppose that is possible.

0 Likes

The "out-of-wedlock" thing...yeah. I also had friends who were gay (particularly in college). But since graduating my circle has shrunk considerably and I don't keep in touch much anymore.

But I did not know anyone who had an abortion until about a month ago when a co-worker let it out.

0 Likes

We live in a unashamedly degenerate society, so it is not surprising that most people are consequently unabashed degenerates. The fact that I interact with them is just a reality of the society. This was true of early Christians as well hiding out yet having to interact with Romans that were anything but moral.

0 Likes

That number for abortion seems very high. Is that for all women or a specific group? I live in the most pro-abortion state in the country. The governor just vetoed the parental notification bill. I have to sign a form for my daughter to take Tylenol but not for her to have an abortion :mad: All the very young girls that go into planned parenthood on abortion day makes me upset. They also drive from neighboring states to get abortions in our state.

I knew quite a few girls in high school that had abortions. One girl had 4 abortions before graduating. Very sad. I have gay relatives and friends. I have friends and relatives with children out of wedlock.

0 Likes

Well, I have had gay friends, teachers, and so on. I know many people with children out of wedlock, and I know of one person who had an abortion.

0 Likes

That’s an astonishing figure. Do you have a source for this?

PS I assume by abortion you mean deliberate abortion and do not include spontaneous abortions/miscarriages.

0 Likes

Let's see.........

I have one sister who is gay and living with her girlfriend in the San Francisco area.

I've met a considerable number of homosexuals since starting college three years ago. I'm not really close friends with any of them, just friendly acquaintances.

Another of my sisters had a baby when she was sixteen. She dropped out of high school and got her GED. My nephew's father bailed as soon as he found out my sister was pregnant. She's now a single mom.

I'm not aware of anyone in my family having an abortion. Although I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that somebody has had one.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that at least one of the girls I knew in high school has had an abortion by now.

Also one of my cousins got divorced last year. As far as I know, she's the first in my family to do so.

This is a pretty sad thread......:(

0 Likes

RE: all the weasels out there, I'm glad for at least one who refused to man up and take any sort of responsibility. My son was born out of wedlock, and if not for that I probably never would have met my wife. There's never been a day where I regretted having to "man up" for someone else.

I know plenty of others who have had kids out of wedlock and at least one of the two parents in each situation is slime.

I have at least one gay cousin and a handful of gay friends.

My wife's parents forced her to have an abortion a year or two before she met me and it saddens me immensely to think about it. Since finding out about it, I've never been able to shake the feelings of guilt I have over it. I didn't know her at the time, but I can't quit asking, "but what if I had?" I've spent hours mourning the loss of that life and the joy he/she could have given us. It bothers me even more knowing that the pain I feel is nothing compared to my wife's.

I can't think of anyone else who I'm sure has had one, but there are a few I suspect. One is a rabidly staunch supporter of Planned Parenthood. Her cheerleading for them goes above and beyond anything I would consider normal, as if she feels she has something to prove. She also sings the praises of rampant promiscuity, particularly for teens, and has alluded to her own experiences in that field. It's not something I'd walk up and ask her about, but it's hard not to put 2 & 2 together in her case.

0 Likes

[quote="Gordon_Sims, post:31, topic:245014"]
I can't think of anyone else who I'm sure has had one, but there are a few I suspect. One is a rabidly staunch supporter of Planned Parenthood. Her cheerleading for them goes above and beyond anything I would consider normal, as if she feels she has something to prove. She also sings the praises of rampant promiscuity, particularly for teens, and has alluded to her own experiences in that field. It's not something I'd walk up and ask her about, but it's hard not to put 2 & 2 together in her case.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I've had the displeasure of meeting a few girls who were just like the woman you describe here. I'm sure I'll meet more of them in the future. It's always unpleasant.

0 Likes

All three.

My mom has good friends who are lesbians. We knew a woman who had multiple abortions (she had many issues that resulted in this.) ** I** was born out of wedlock (and know many others.)

0 Likes

What I meant by the statement was that most people (I meant most people in general Western society, not most people here on CAF who tend to come from conservative parts of the US i think) probably know either a gay person, a person born out of wedlock etc, not necessarily all of these things at the same time.

Also, this is an interesting thread but why call it ‘Modern family values’? My mother had me out of wedlock but IMO her and others in similar situations have more of these ‘family values’ than many of the seemingly good ‘christians’ I know in real life. And that is why despite their flaws, I am glad i was born to my imperfect mother and father and wouldn’t have picked any married couple over them. (if indeed I was able to pick)

0 Likes

Sin is degenerate but who exactly are you calling degenerates and why do you feel qualified to do so?

0 Likes

[quote="themeginthemoon, post:13, topic:245014"]
The abortion stats make me the saddest :(

The older I get, the more pro-life I feel...

I can only hope that those women repent and feel remorse for their actions.

Just remember: Of course premarital sex is a sin... *but for every out-of-wedlock child you know, that is a woman who stood up and refused to terminate her pregnancy. * Good for her in that realm. We know we will be met with criticism and disdain, but despite the societal pressure we chose the life of our child over everything else! :heart:
That little baby can erase all doubt about ones' decisions.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

0 Likes

[quote="JaneGrey, post:35, topic:245014"]
Sin is degenerate but who exactly are you calling degenerates and why do you feel qualified to do so?

[/quote]

If you have to ask about the first, then it is pointless to explain. Why don't you feel qualified to call a spade a spade?

0 Likes

[quote="Nec5, post:37, topic:245014"]
If you have to ask about the first, then it is pointless to explain. Why don't you feel qualified to call a spade a spade?

[/quote]

Seriously? Human beings are not sins, neither are they inanimate objects. I really hope I am just misunderstanding you here.

0 Likes

[quote="Nec5, post:26, topic:245014"]
We live in a unashamedly degenerate society, so it is not surprising that most people are consequently unabashed degenerates. The fact that I interact with them is just a reality of the society. This was true of early Christians as well hiding out yet having to interact with Romans that were anything but moral.

[/quote]

This is terribly unChristian and also sad. If you want to see sin, you will see it in everything. Christ hated the sin not the sinner. Most people are degenerates? How did you come up with this?

0 Likes

I believe the 50% stat for abortion. I had an abortion when I was in my early 20’s. A boyfriend of 3 years didn’t want to have a baby. My parents didnt’ want me to have a baby. I was scared and had an abortion.

It does happen. My child would be 16 years old now.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.