Modern Forms of Slavery: 12.3 million adults and children are in forced labor, bonded labor, and forced prostitution around the world
How sad, Slavery is still going strong in the 21st Century and the mainstream media hardly, if ever cares about the subject.:shrug:
"Although much media attention is focused on trafficking for sexual ends, the State Department pointed out that more people are trafficked for forced labor than for commercial sex. Even so, traffickers often do use sexual violence as a way to coerce women in their work in fields or factories.
Some of the main findings of the 2010 report are the following:
– 12.3 million adults and children are in forced labor, bonded labor, and forced prostitution around the world, with 56% of these victims being women and girls.
– The value for traffickers of this trade is estimated at $32 billion annually.
– The prevalence of trafficking victims in the world is calculated to be at the level of 1.8 per 1,000 inhabitants. This varies by region with it reaching 3 per 1,000 in Asia and the Pacific.
– There were 4,166 successful trafficking prosecutions in 2009, a 40% increase over 2008.
– There are still 62 countries that have yet to convict a trafficker under laws in compliance with the Palermo Protocol (a document adopted by the United Nations on human trafficking).
- No less than 104 countries are without laws, policies, or regulations to prevent victims’ deportation."