Modern Martyrs

do we still have martyrs in these modern days?

God Bless

Look but don’t touch, Touch but don’t taste, Taste but do not swallow

[quote=catholic2005]do we still have martyrs in these modern days?

[/quote]

Yes, most definitely.

Sister Barbara Ann Muttra, Sister Shirley Kolmer, Sister Joel Kolmer, Sister Agnes Mueller, Sister Kathleen McGuire, pray for us.

I’m sure there are many more; I have heard that between the Nazis and the Communists there were more martyrs in the 20th century than in all previous centuries combined.

• Liberian

Maximilian Kolbe for those who appreciate social justice and freedom of the press.

There is an excellent book out on this called “Catholc Martyrs of the 20th Century” by Robert Royal, found here:

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0824518462/qid=1116774642/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-2706474-7593543?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

You have Blessed Theodore Romzha, Blessed Basil Hopko, Blessed Alexander Chira and Blessed Pavel Goidich all from Bishops from the Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic who were martyred for the Faith.

Blessed Theodore Romzha was run over by a tank on his way back from dedicating a church. He survived this attack suffering many broken bones and a broken jaw. He was given an injection to his heart by a “nurse” who was a NKVD agent and died because he refused to join the Orthodox church.

Blessed Pavel Goidich and Blessed Basil Hopko were both imprisoned in Czechoslovakia. Blessed Pavel died in prison after much torture. Blessed Basil was release because of ill-health and died as a result of his torture.

Blessed Alexander died in exile in Siberia after many years in the labor camps and coal mines of Siberia.

There are countless numbers of priests, nuns and Bishops from the Ukrainian and Belorussian Greek Catholic churches who died in Siberia or were murdered in their homelands.

Yes, there are many Catholic martyrs for the Faith in the 20th century.

Don’t forget all the aborted children! i once heard that they are all martyrs also.

[quote=MonicaC]Don’t forget all the aborted children! i once heard that they are all martyrs also.
[/quote]

You can check also:

newsaints.faithweb.com/martyrs.htm

It shakes your soul to see those portraits.

Regarding aborted children, they are not (yet) officially considered martyrs by the Church. It is in progress a deep study on the matter. Only those murdered “in odium fidei” can be proclaimed “martyrs”. The main idea is to give aborted children the same status of those children killed by Herodes during the Massacre of the Innocents (Matthew 2,16-18): they are all Holy Innocents.

the Mexican martyrs of the revolution of the 1920s, and the Spanish martyrs in the civil war of the 30s, as well as the literally millions of those martyred under Stalin and Hitler for the Faith.

2 Million Sudanese Christians over the last 20 years. Countless persons in Uganda, Somalia, Egypt, China, Rwanda and on and on. What I find troubling is that this question can even be asked. Is communication about Christian martyrs so poorly disseminated?

When I get to heaven the first persons after Christ I wish to see, even before my patron Saint Athanasius, are the millions of nameless martyrs from Sudan. I want to thank them for their example and ask their forgiveness for our ignorance of them.

Dan L

[quote=Fidelis]There is an excellent book out on this called “Catholc Martyrs of the 20th Century” by Robert Royal, found here:

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0824518462/qid=1116774642/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-2706474-7593543?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
[/quote]

Yes! Run to the library and read this! I saw a stat somewhere that said 85% of the martyrs are from the 20th century. The modern martyrs blow away the secular humanist’s ludicrous religion-causes-more-war-and-suffering theory.

Scott

I’d add Oscar Romero to the list as the Bishop was shot during the Eucharistic prayer of the Mass. The indirect US part is disturbing if true.:frowning: Thanks and God Bless.

Some you probably don’t want to hear about.
Saint Peter the Aleut

John

[quote=prodromos]Some you probably don’t want to hear about.
Saint Peter the Aleut

John
[/quote]

But St.Peter the Aleut was not a 20th century martyr…

The seven Cistercian martyrs of Our Lady of Atlas Monastery, Algeria. [/font]

[quote=Patchunky]But St.Peter the Aleut was not a 20th century martyr…
[/quote]

The OP didn’t state the 20th century :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=mercygate]The seven Cistercian martyrs of Our Lady of Atlas Monastery, Algeria. [](“http://www.ocso.org/penningt.htm”)
[/quote]

I’ve always believed that the more they kill us the more we grow. Pray for us Holy Martyrs of Atlas. Let us be as faithful.

Dan L

[quote=prodromos]The OP didn’t state the 20th century :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

CHRISTOS ANESTI!

but it does say “in these modern days”…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.