Modest Clothing Resources

bump

You know, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and praying about modesty.

I have stopped wearing some of my items, because I just fear that I look horrible in them to begin with.

Anyway, the other day when I was picking my son up from school, a dad was parked beside me. A woman (don’t know who she was or if she was a mom) walked in front of us. She was wearing tight, low rise pants, she was super skinny, I mean, really no curves what so ever, a tight t-shirt and flip flops…that man stared at her the whole time she walked by…I watched him looking at her. (I am not judging these two people, just stating facts :rolleyes: ) and it was like God slapped me in my face right there…I am not super skinny, however, I’m not a big chubs either, I have curves in all the right places according to my DH…and I thought, what would THAT woman really think if she knew that man was looking at her that way? What would I think if a man was looking at me THAT way? I know that we are made to be attracted to one another, but the thought of a man :eek: :eek: :eek: at me, like that man did…well, God slapped me! That’s all I can say.

Maybe I shouldn’t have even said all of this, but I did and I am, and maybe I am learning something. I pray so.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned on this thread before, but I buy most of my clothes from The Vermont Country Store. I really like their things–the ones that I have are modest without being frumpy…:thumbsup:

But those fashion victims were a very small minority, a small minority of women are still fashion victims who wear uncomfortable, or even dangerous clothing (especially shoes) for the sake of fashion today. For a realistic depiction of what most women were wearing watch the film Persuasion (the 1995 version starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds) I think that is one of the most realistic costume dramas (in terms of costuming) I think I’ve ever seen, people’s hems get muddy, their hair doesn’t look perfect all the time and the women actually fill in the necklines of their dresses with a tucker (called a chemisette in period).
If anybody is interested in the Sense and Sensibility Regency pattern the owner/designer from that company has designed a version of her Regency pattern for Simplicity (the dress is number 4055 and period underwear, including a chemisette, is number 4052) which means it’s cheaper than mail order (especially if you wait until it’s on sale) and you get a chance to have a look at what you’re buying before you pay for it (and none of the impatience of waiting for mail order) :slight_smile:

I don’t sew and I noticed that many of the links are for patterns.
Anyway, my parish has a program for teen girls dealing with modest dress.
The girls wear the latest fashions, combining them in modest ways such as leggings under a short skirt.
At the end of the program, they have a fashion show.
The girls themselves take ownership of how they dress.

Anybody here shop QVC or HSN?

Denim and Co., The Quacker Factory, Storybook Knits and many other of those home shopping channel lines offer cute, contemporary clothing that’s a far cry from hippie-hoochiewear yet doesn’t go all the way to Amish.

bump

Hey Guys,

I really like this website. It’s a website that offers modest clothes that are modern, feminine, and stylish. It’s also afforable!! I really like Brooke’s Closet, it offers gently used women’s modest clothing. Great and afforable!! Check it out here. :smiley:
www.sierrabrooke.com

bump

It was a sobering realization, wasn’t it?

And I don’t think you did anything wrong by mentioning it! I think more women need to realize just HOW men look at them when they dress like that.

But some women have such low self-esteem that they actually like men looking at them like that. Sad, isn’t it? :frowning:

Oh, before I forget, here is my modest clothing contribution to this thread: tznius.com

Thank you for your reply to my post.

As for the self esteem thing…yes, you are right.

I was watching “What Not to Wear” the other day on TLC. (now, I’ve been living for the past 10 years with just rabbit ears and I’m loving my Directv right now!)…anyway, a very, very beautiful young lady…but … she wore clothes that were horrible! She even wore a racoon tail on her rear end!

Anyway, that young lady just cried and cried when she saw herself finally dressed up, looking very nice, etc… It was a great show!

The site that you linked…have you purchased from them? I’ve been thinking about some of the wrap skirts! You really can’t even buy all that fabric for those prices. I will have to hem/alter them some because I’m only 5ft tall…Also, I’ve been thinking about some of these outfits…eshakti.com/ which is probably already posted in this thread…however, this site, I am in awe over the fact that you can custom the neck line, the sleeve length etc.

I know that “the 50’s” are often used in a negative way when talking about modesty (as in: Let’s not go back to the 50’s!), but vintage fashions are cute, stylish, and very classy (Grace Kelly!!). For those of you who might be into vintage styles, and sew, there are some great sites out there that sell actual vintage patterns. lanetzliving.net, momspatterns.com/, and risingfeenix.com/ are my favorites.

Vintage patterns are so easy to work with. The instructions are clear, and they don’t have the ridiculous amounts of ease that modern patterns have. The downside is that you can’t always get the pattern you want in your size.

And speaking of easy-to-work-with patterns, the Sense and Sensibility patterns are great. If you buy the Simplicity version of Mrs. Chancey’s Regency dress that allaussie mentioned, keep in mind that they’ve added the typical drastic amounts of ease. I had to cut mine out a whole size smaller to get it to fit properly.

I don’t know where you guys live but you make it sound like it’s sooo hard to find modest clothes and everything at the store is slutwear. I don’t know what that’s all about but that isn’t the case. I assure you. Even Victoria’s Secret sells some long modest clothes on their site. but perhaps it may have to do with you body type as well. I guess if you’re really shapely, everything you wear may look trampy regardless of length or cut.

fairygothmother.co.uk/tops.htm

lip-service.com/handlers/browse.php?division=Lipservice&groupitem=StyleGroup&groupvalue=1092

rosemortem.com/skirts.htm

in case you’re wondering, this is the kind of stuff I like to wear. The stuff you guys suggest is simply so boring. maybe it’s an age thing.

in case you’re wondering, this is the kind of stuff I like to wear. The stuff you guys suggest is simply so boring. maybe it’s an age thing.

Not necessarily. In fact, I’d say it’s a taste and style thing. I’m still in my teenage years, but I’m more into the classic looks of the 40’s and 50’s. The darker look that you’re into just isn’t my cup of tea, regardless of my age. Different people have different styles… I prefer the ‘boring’ look. :wink: I’m more comfortable, it suits me better, I just like it better.

Yep, it’s an age thing…and also…a mother thing, I could really see me going on a field trip with the kiddo in some of those clothes…oh, and a business owner, I could see me attending a meeting in Italy, or Germany, or Arizona in that type of clothing…

I really think you are just trying to be sarcastic… :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Anyway…some of that stuff is cute, just not me…but could see how a young lady might enjoy wearing that stuff, especially if you have a realm of friends dressing like that.

God bless.

It’s a sad, sad testament to the state of America’s moral decay when the 1950s (when Bishop Fulton won an Emmy, and God was in the public forum every day without fear) are so often trashed by those who have no personal knowledge of this era.

As for modest clothing, a LOT of it is a matter of sizing. Perhaps there are some women who don’t want to ‘size up’ to what their actual dimensions call for, because I see waaaay too much flesh squeezed in to waaay too little fabric.

:smiley:

Wonderful for a young person. These styles are fantastic. I am afraid my youth is long gone. Thank you, though, for posting these. :wink:

Thanks!

Here are some designs I like…

parkbenchpatterns.com/1.html

parkbenchpatterns.com/15.html

parkbenchpatterns.com/18.html

Those are really cute…I could see how great they would be with just the right material…thanks for posting, I think I’m going to send those to my mom to look over.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.