Modest, stylish clothes--not a teeny bopper

Where can I find modest but stylish clothes for not-so-young women? I don’t sew. Would appreciate the names of any (paper) catalogs that have such clothing for women. Thanks and God bless you.

Chadwicks of Boston
Ann Taylor
Newport News
New York and Company
On the lower end, I find a lot of super cute and comfy things at Target, including shoes. You just have to do a bit of sifting. I am in my 20’s but I often wear these these styles for work.

www.landsend.com

Check out their sale/clearance items for good deals. All of their clothing is guaranteed.. you can return it at any time if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Also - www.llbean.com

They offer free shipping if you use their credit card for purchases.

Both companies will send you paper catalogs if you call their toll free numbers & ask.

[quote="SallyMargie, post:1, topic:183031"]
Where can I find modest but stylish clothes for not-so-young women? I don't sew. Would appreciate the names of any (paper) catalogs that have such clothing for women. Thanks and God bless you.

[/quote]

I don't know about paper catalogues and it's not like I'm pushing QVC or WalMart, but half my clothes are from QVC (Sports Savvy line, Denim & Co line) while the other half are from White Stag at Wally World.

Chico

Also online at www dot overstock dot com

I love Ann Taylor Loft and J.Crew (Outlets).

New York & Co, J.C Penny's, and yes, Sears has cute things. Land's End clothes are durable and fit well. If you order Land's End and if the item doesn't work out, you can return it to Sears.

The catalogues mentioned are great!

Since we’re on a tight budget I do a lot of layering too when I find things that would work on sale. So I’ll usually take a shirt that is a little too low (like they all seem to be these days!) and put a camisole under it and maybe a sweater over it. I get the packages of camisoles at Costco and they are lifesavers for so many outfits that I wouldn’t be able to wear otherwise.

If there is a Dress Barn near you, go there! I don't think they have a catalog, but I think you'll be happy with their clothes (and the prices!)

Best place to get clothes? A thrift shop in an affluent neighborhood. They know the styles and they usually hardly wear the clothes. Sure, you'll be a year or 2 behind but its still "fashionable". Ask around and google thrift stores and just look at the map to see the demographic. They are often worth 30-50 minute drives.

Coldwater Creek is my favorite when I want something with a little more "style" than my usual preppy look. Also White House/Black Market. I don't know if they have a paper catalog but you can shop online.

I was just going to suggest Coldwater Creek and I second the vote for thrift or consignment shops in affluent neighborhoods. I once made a $24 profit on something I bought at one consignment shop on final markdown, took cross country and then got tired of and put in another consignment shop. I paid $6 for it initially and got $30 for it!

:thumbsup: LOVE Coldwater Creek and you’d be shocked at the great deals you can find on-line in their clearance catalog!

How old, and what is the lifestyle? My personal favorite is Martin + Osa, the more mature line by American Eagle. martinandosa.com/

Their quality has declined over the past couple years, but it's still a cut above most and the prices are very reasonable for the quality you get.

Great ideas, all. Thanks so much. God bless each of you.

Sailor Kenshin: I'm a Wal-Mart shopper too--love that place! :)

Kohl’s is another place I like to shop… great styles and prices. AND, they are donating $250K to the Red Cross for Haitian earthquake relief!

Yay!

Now if only I could get some decent snow boots there… :smiley:

[quote="bluerose, post:16, topic:183031"]
Kohl's is another place I like to shop... great styles and prices. AND, they are donating $250K to the Red Cross for Haitian earthquake relief!

[/quote]

all.org/article.php?id=10101

Just a heads up about the Red Cross. I donated to Catholic Relief Services instead.

I enjoy Kohl's too, bluerose--thanks for the reminder and God bless.

I like XXI, New York & Co. and Old Navy.

If you're looking for steals check your Old Navy--most stores have their clearance marked 50% off the lowest price starting today--I usually find a lot of my stuff at their annual January sale. For $1-$3 a shirt it's hard to beat! :thumbsup:

Try Appleseed's at www.appleseeds.com. I get all my clothes online, and this outfit has very attractive clothes for women who are no longer kids! Great styles in beautiful colors!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.