Oh, this thread is exciting!
I always had two pieces, usually a boy-short bottom and some sort of tank as a top.
The only two I had recently lasted quite awhile - one I even liked so much that once the elastic on the bottoms wore out, I braided some string, cut a hole, and made a "belt" for it so I could tie it up! Yeah, ghetto, but whatever. You couldn't see the tie cause it was on the inside of the band. I'm smart like that. :D
The second one just never fit as well, so when the first finally got binned I went shopping for another. Didn't like how anything fit. Plus, I'm really pale, and my back burns VERY easily. I'm also not willing to spend a lot of money. I'm hard to fit, but I bet I could find one if I spent like 60 bucks.
The solution came to me one day out of the blue. I had gotten some running shorts/tops from walmart last year - like, less than ten bucks a piece. They're made out of the same material swimsuits are. The shorts have two zipper pockets and a liner, and the top has the shelf bra thing and a flap (key) pocket. It's not fashionable at all.. but here are the pros:
1) Parts of me that should be covered, are.
2) I don't need to worry about my super white back burning cause it's covered as well.
3) I can run, and then jump right in the water. Running on sand is a great workout.
4) No need for sunscreen. Since the only parts of me not covered are the parts that always get sun, I don't burn as fast. I also don't stay out very long, and when I'm not in the water I'm in a tent. Yes, I bring my tent to the beach.
5) Double duty as running gear and a bathing suit, for the few times I'm actually in the water.
Cons? I look kinda like an idiot. But I'm totally ok with that. In fact, I don't know why this idea never came to me sooner, cause I've spent every year for the past, oh, 15 complaining about how hard it was to find a bathing suit I actually liked..:D
But, those pictures are pretty!