Modest swimwear as an example for my daughter

I just purchased two very pretty modest swimdresses that I think are a good compromise between modest and fashionable. They are feminine and yet modest; not too old looking so I won't feel like a grandma on the beach :p

What do you guys think? In some ways, I think that they are more sexy than a bikini b/c they leave more to the imagination ;)

There was a bikini thread in the Parenting section about whether or not it's ok to let your daughter wear a bikini, and I thought about it and you know; I wouldn't want my daughter to wear sleazy swimwear and then I thought about looking for affordable, yet pretty swimdresses that I could wear to set an example for my daughter.

Serap~Those are ADORABLE!! If I had the body, I’d wear it. :thumbsup:

Those are adorable!

I, personally, LOVE the tankini sets with the skirt bottoms. They cover the same amount of skin as those swimdresses, but you can pull the bottom down when you have to pee! I was worried that I'd have to go with a bikini this year due to being prego but then I found a cute tankini top at Target (the ONLY place I've found so far that actually has maternity suits on the racks). I didn't like the bottom that went with it (no skirts) so I just bought one at Kmart.

And just a side note: I don't think it's a compromise between cute and modest--I think it's the best of both worlds! :thumbsup:

Me too and thanks to the other poster about my body…heck…ah shuks :slight_smile:

I like them b/c they are still fashionable and don’t scream OLD LADY AT THE BEACH!!!

BTW… these swimdress do come with underwear that is separate, so easy access in the washroom :thumbsup:

I think they look great also.

This Old Guy says:
Hey!
I like all of them! My favorite one has the blue flowers on it!

(Just for the record, I don't think all women's "two-piece" swimwear is nasty... taken to extremes, absolutely, but as long as there is "adequate coverage" of top and bottom areas, a two-piece can help make swimming more comfortable and enjoyable... and promotes a pretty suntan.)

Are you going to post a picture of yourself and your daughter in your new swimwear? ;)

I'll post a picture of me http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/yuk.gif and our daughter in swimwear of you do... (She'll be competing in aquatics at the State Special Olympics State games next week!) :D

Very cute. I agree that they are better than a bikini, not just because they leave more to the imagination, but because it looks pretty.

The are really cute! Another option is to just wear a tank-top over the suit… it makes it hard to swim though…

[quote="Ponyguy, post:6, topic:200582"]
This Old Guy says:
Hey!
I like all of them! My favorite one has the blue flowers on it!

(Just for the record, I don't think all women's "two-piece" swimwear is nasty... taken to extremes, absolutely, but as long as there is "adequate coverage" of top and bottom areas, a two-piece can help make swimming more comfortable and enjoyable... and promotes a pretty suntan.)

Are you going to post a picture of yourself and your daughter in your new swimwear? ;)

I'll post a picture of me http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/yuk.gif and our daughter in swimwear of you do... (She'll be competing in aquatics at the State Special Olympics State games next week!) :D

[/quote]

Wow...good for her!!! She must be really fit.

I LOVE my swim dress!!! I think they are so cute - but not major sexy and half naked.

I would love to try those myself - super cute! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Where did you find those? I was hoping the image URL gave me a hint but no luck. :wink:

~Liza

I like them. What a good example you are for your little girl! :thumbsup:

*Not to rain on this thread but I do not know that I consider these modest. Yes I understand that they are not bikini's but they still show a deep plunging neckline and if I am not mistaken the skirt is shorter than a mini skirt. I would not "feel" comfortable in these even if I did have a perfect body.:D
I personally have tried all sorts of swim suits (except a bikini) and I still can not help but "feel" like I am in my underwear. :o
I was finally able to find a swim suite that I "feel" comfortable in and it is made out of the same material that swimsuits are normally made of and the best thing I do not "feel" like I am in my undies. My husband, bless his soul, let me spend the money from some of our tax refund to purchase it.
Now I have to get used to comments from little children like "how come you are swimming in your clothes." :shrug:
So Since I found this thread I thought I would post the link with pictures of them and get some feed back.

Do you think these are too modest?

Here is the link: hydrochic.com/shop-swim-bottoms.html

I think it only matters what YOU are comfortable in. Period. What anyone else happens to think should not impact your decision to wear whatever you wish.

They are ok - not my personal style, but not as over the top covered up as some “modest suits” I’ve seen. If you like them who cares what I think! :wink:

~Liza

[quote="simple_soul, post:12, topic:200582"]

Here is the link: hydrochic.com/shop-swim-bottoms.html*

[/quote]

Yes. Also, they look like it would be difficult to actually swim in them. If you wear them in the ocean, where the water moves a lot (waves, etc.) the skirts will probably work their way up to your waist. I would not want any of them!

[quote="simple_soul, post:12, topic:200582"]
*Not to rain on this thread but I do not know that I consider these modest. Yes I understand that they are not bikini's but they still show a deep plunging neckline and if I am not mistaken the skirt is shorter than a mini skirt. I would not "feel" comfortable in these even if I did have a perfect body.:D
I personally have tried all sorts of swim suits (except a bikini) and I still can not help but "feel" like I am in my underwear. :o
I was finally able to find a swim suite that I "feel" comfortable in and it is made out of the same material that swimsuits are normally made of and the best thing I do not "feel" like I am in my undies. My husband, bless his soul, let me spend the money from some of our tax refund to purchase it.
Now I have to get used to comments from little children like "how come you are swimming in your clothes." :shrug:
So Since I found this thread I thought I would post the link with pictures of them and get some feed back.

Here is the link: hydrochic.com/shop-swim-bottoms.html*

[/quote]

I second Lizaanne - it's what YOU feel comfortable in that matters. If you want to be more covered up, then that's what's best for you b/c at the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable.

I personally find them to be too much material for swimming, but they are still nice; nothing wrong with them at all. They are also quite pricey for me too.

The two swimdresses I got were $75 in total...they are on sale :)

The name of the on-line store is:

Swimwear Place - www.swimwearplace.com

They are in Canada, but ship to the U.S.A. for free. They have some great bathing suits and they are all very fashionable and young looking even if they're more modest.

Finally, the one piece is making a come back! I couldn't find one around here for several years. I insisted that my daughter only wear a one piece when she was growing up, and that is still what she wears, 25 years later. Not easy, but worth it.

Actually I was quite surprised and impressed that there was no difficulty swimming in it and I had no problem with the skirt staying down. I do not know if it is because of the length or what it is made of. Or maybe it is the style of the skirt. Anyway it stayed down and no air got trapped under it that made it lift up as I went into the pool. I have only used it in a pool. I did go to the beach once with it but was not able to go into the ocean. Will have to update you the next time I have the opportunity to go into the ocean verses just walking on the edge while my children played in the sand.

On a side note, if you do not mind me asking, why do you believe they are too modest?

[quote="Serap, post:15, topic:200582"]
I second Lizaanne - it's what YOU feel comfortable in that matters. If you want to be more covered up, then that's what's best for you b/c at the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable.

[/quote]

[quote="lizaanne, post:13, topic:200582"]
I think it only matters what YOU are comfortable in. Period. What anyone else happens to think should not impact your decision to wear whatever you wish.

They are ok - not my personal style, but not as over the top covered up as some "modest suits" I've seen. If you like them who cares what I think! ;)

~Liza

[/quote]

*Dear Liza and Serap,

I take it then that you do not have a problem with some one wearing a bikini?

I am beginning to think it has to do with more than just a feeling of what I am comfortable in. What matters most to me is what God thinks. Not necessarily what others think. But I believe others can help me to understand what God thinks so that is why I ask for input.

What I like the most about this swimsuit is that I do not "feel" sexy in it at all. I "feel" dignified in it. I believe that is what makes me like it better than others that I have tried. *

[quote="Serap, post:15, topic:200582"]

I personally find them to be too much material for swimming, but they are still nice; nothing wrong with them at all. They are also quite pricey for me too.

[/quote]

I hear you on this comment. I guess that is why I tried other options first and why it took almost four years before I found that I could afford it on our income.

[quote="simple_soul, post:17, topic:200582"]

On a side note, if you do not mind me asking, why do you believe they are too modest?

[/quote]

I don't know if "too modest" are the words I would use. As others have said, if you like it - that's all that counts. To each her own is my opnion. I would feel ridiculous wearing it though. It's not my style at all. I grew up in Florida wearing shorts year round. Now that I live where there are four seasons, I can hardly WAIT for summer so I can break out my shorts & swimsuits.

Serap ~ I think the suits you picked are adorable. I might wear those, although I am not so keen on showing my upper thighs in the back. And that's the problem I have with one pieces... unless the skirt is REALLY long, I feel like my rear end is hanging out. And if the skirt is REALLY long, I feel silly.

My suits look like this:

The top:

landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingMiniDotsSweetheartBikiniSwimTop~203454_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::GXL&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000134&origin=index

The bottoms: (although these are a few inches longer than I like)

landsend.com/pp/AquaTerraSupplexLongShorts~191513_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::TUR&CM_MERCH=search-_-womens+swim+shorts

I like the turquoise.

I feel "cute" in my bathing suit. It's the look I go for.

Oh, this thread is exciting!

I always had two pieces, usually a boy-short bottom and some sort of tank as a top.

The only two I had recently lasted quite awhile - one I even liked so much that once the elastic on the bottoms wore out, I braided some string, cut a hole, and made a "belt" for it so I could tie it up! Yeah, ghetto, but whatever. You couldn't see the tie cause it was on the inside of the band. I'm smart like that. :D

The second one just never fit as well, so when the first finally got binned I went shopping for another. Didn't like how anything fit. Plus, I'm really pale, and my back burns VERY easily. I'm also not willing to spend a lot of money. I'm hard to fit, but I bet I could find one if I spent like 60 bucks.

The solution came to me one day out of the blue. I had gotten some running shorts/tops from walmart last year - like, less than ten bucks a piece. They're made out of the same material swimsuits are. The shorts have two zipper pockets and a liner, and the top has the shelf bra thing and a flap (key) pocket. It's not fashionable at all.. but here are the pros:

1) Parts of me that should be covered, are.
2) I don't need to worry about my super white back burning cause it's covered as well.
3) I can run, and then jump right in the water. Running on sand is a great workout.
4) No need for sunscreen. Since the only parts of me not covered are the parts that always get sun, I don't burn as fast. I also don't stay out very long, and when I'm not in the water I'm in a tent. Yes, I bring my tent to the beach.
5) Double duty as running gear and a bathing suit, for the few times I'm actually in the water.

Cons? I look kinda like an idiot. But I'm totally ok with that. In fact, I don't know why this idea never came to me sooner, cause I've spent every year for the past, oh, 15 complaining about how hard it was to find a bathing suit I actually liked..:D

But, those pictures are pretty!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.