Mohammed and women's rights

Volume 1, Book 6, Number 301:
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

Once Allah’s Apostle went out to the Musalla (to offer the prayer) o 'Id-al-Adha or Al-Fitr prayer. Then he passed by the women and said, “O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you (women).” They asked, “Why is it so, O Allah’s Apostle ?” He replied, “You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you.” **The women asked, “O Allah’s Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?” He said, “Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?” They replied in the affirmative. He said, “This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn’t it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?” The women replied in the affirmative. He said, “This is the deficiency in her religion.” **

During this Easter season let us be thankful for the theolgy and message that came from Jesus.

Husbands, love your wives, JUST AS Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church - for we are members of his body. ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.’ This is a profound mystery - but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife AS HE LOVES HIMSELF, and the wife must respect her husband.” Ephesians 5:25-33

We can see how one road leads to darkness and one road leads to light.

Hi Jon, in Judaism of Jesus day, the two women to one man testimony existed there too.

But, Mohammad and Islam teaches men to beat their wives.

Well If you look at this particular hadith it also says women are ‘deficient in their intelligence and religion’. And yes Islam does tell men to beat their wives. Of course the response you will get from the Muslim apologetic will state that a man can only beat the woman lightly with a ‘toothbrush’. Of course, somehow,that part of the teaching got lost.

Also Daniel,
It goes on…

[Muhammad said], “O women! Give to charity, for I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-Fire were women.” The women asked, “O Allah’s Apostle! What is the reason for it?” He said: “O women! You curse frequently, and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. O women, some of you can lead a cautious man astray.”

Ibid., Number 1462.

The other issue here is if Mohammed was wrong about women being more deficient in their minds than men, than he would be a ‘false’ prophet. If one were to do a study of women’s intelligence compared to men; and he/she found just one woman who had a better grasp of emotions and understanding than a man; one could show the falsehood in Mohammad’s statement.

We see the benefits of the prophet’s teachings:

In June, Iran’s Guardian Council, a conservative constitutional watchdog, barred all 81 female presidential candidates on the basis of their sex. Women are beaten or jailed for wearing clothes or makeup regarded as insufficiently modest, the State Department said in a 2004 human-rights report.

learningpartnership.org/news/press/030806iran

Hi,

Im glad Im a christian woman and not a muslim woman:D PTL:extrahappy: :gopray:

Women have many rights in Islam! They have the right to:

Be beaten
Be killed for family honor
To be considered a fourth of a man
To be covered from head to toe or be beaten
To be divorced at the will of the husband
To be married off without their consent
To be uneducated and illiterate
To be executed if they are raped
To be married off to old men at the age of 9
To be supplanted by other wives when they get old
To not be able to go out or travel without permission

I am sure I missed some.

I agree with that AFH but you will get the argument that Mohammed made lives better for women which is actually true… to a point. But remember this was 7th century Arabia. So they got to testify in court if their were two of them and they got 1/3rd of a 3rd of inheritance(or something like that :confused: ). But Mohammed said women are still lacking in intelligence and religion. And this is still followed today. Please ref the above Iranian story.

Just wait AFH and see if a Muslim on here will explain 'Aql and how it relates to the hadith in the OP. Get ready for some serious stereotyping of women and their cycle. I don’t mean to sound crass or to offend any religion here. These are actual defenses I have heard about this hadith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.