Mojave Cross Stolen

CNN is reporting the the large Cross in the Mojave desert that was at the center of a Supreme Court case has been stolen.

news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/11/mojave-cross-at-center-of-court-fight-reported-stolen/comment-page-2/#comment-89417

As a veteran, I am totally outraged that someone could do this.

Atheism is the movement to take away other people's religious freedoms. They will use terrorism if necessary to accomplish their goals.

How in the world was this managed?

Also any chance this was by a Christian wanting to "save" the cross from (what they believe to be) certain destruction?

cyberowolf, the christians already won the court case. The cross was allowed to stay.

Obviously the other side decided to go vigilante.

Well, I guess the Anti-Christian Lunatics Union finally got what they wanted, didn’t they? (Whether they were directly responsible or not, they still got what they wanted.) Civil liberties of the rest of us be damned.

One step closer to the USSA, where all symbols of religious faith are eradicated, and only the State may be worshipped.

But these people didn’t win. The cross is going to be replaced. I presume that there will be some safeguards next time.
Someone smashed the statues of Mary outside several churches in the small city where I have lived in recent years, and they simply were put up again. One of the times the persons who did it were tracked down. Why let such people win?

This type of vandalism is becoming more and more commonplace unfortuantely.

There was a case a couple of years ago about Mormon missionaries that desecrated a shrine, and broke heads off statues, etc. TThey had even posted pictures of it on the internet.

There was another case (more recently) of an 8 foot tall bronze statue of St. Ambrose stolen from in front of a Catholic Church in Salt Lake.

It’s just getting ridiculous.

i think this is very sad. wasn't this cross supposed to commemorate the veterans of WWI?
i had not heard of this cross before, but i heard the ruling the other day that the Supreme Court ruled that it could stay in the desert.
they are not sure if or when a replacement will be done.

i hope they find who did it.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:8, topic:198022"]
i think this is very sad. wasn't this cross supposed to commemorate the veterans of WWI?
i had not heard of this cross before, but i heard the ruling the other day that the Supreme Court ruled that it could stay in the desert.
they are not sure if or when a replacement will be done.

i hope they find who did it.

[/quote]

It is a memorial to veterans, but I don't know if it is specifically WWI vets. Considering it was originally erected in the 1930's, it sounds about right.

The Supreme Court did say it could stay, but sent the case back down to the lower courts for review. The ACLU has said they are going to appeal the decision.

Atheists did this? Wow.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.