Molar pregnancy and souls

Hi guys, I was wondering if in the case of a Hydatidiform Mole you’d say that there is a human being or a soul present. I’m not wondering about the morality of ‘abortion’ (if that’s the right term) in those cases since if it cancerous/deadly then I suspect the answer would be yes. I’m just wondering if in theory, it has a soul. Sorry for not explaining what it is very well but basically there’s several types. In one type a maternal egg with no DNA is fertilized by a sperm that then sort of replicates itself causing the illusion of having a second set of DNA. In other cases the egg is normal but the sperm replicated anyways which messes it up.

See http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage.asp?number=628247

If you read Persuasive Pro-Life by Trent Horn, he goes through a really good explanation, based on principles of logic, of why life begins and conception and why that life is human life. I don’t want to oversimplify it but one of the key elements is that, in the right conditions, the zygote will continue to grow and develop. A molar pregnancy will not continue to develop - the cells keep multiplying, but it doesn’t develop into anything more complex.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.