'Mom,' 'dad' to be axed

‘Mom,’ ‘dad’ to be axed
from school textbooks?

traditional-values organization in California is warning the state’s residents that a bill pending in the Legislature, if approved, could remove all references to gender in public schools – threatening even references to “mom” or “dad” in textbooks. If the bill, SB 1437, were to become law, warns the Capitol Resource Institute, “it could potentially require gender-neutral bathrooms in our schools and all references to ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ or ‘mom and dad’ removed from school textbooks as the norm.”

Sponsored by Democratic Sen. Sheila Kuehl – a lesbian actress best known for playing Zelda in “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis” in the '60s – the legislation would add “gender” (actual or perceived) and “sexual orientation” to the law that prohibits California public schools from having textbooks, teaching materials, instruction or “school-sponsored activities” that reflect adversely upon people based on characteristics like race, creed and handicap.

more…

Pray that people in California have the common sense to block this measure.

Earlier this week, about 500 homosexual students gathered at the State Capitol in Sacramento to celebrate “Queer Youth Advocacy Day.”

According to the Sacramento Bee, demonstrators voiced support for Kuehl’s bill and AB 606, authored by Democrat Assemblyman Lloyd Levine, which addresses harassment and discrimination in schools.

“I refuse to settle for anything less than respect and equality in education,” 16-year-old Garrett Rubin stated at the event. “I shouldn’t have to be working so hard to get an education like everybody else.”

[font=Arial]Can someone explain to me what this student was trying to convey?
[/font]

What I hear is "gender-specific language in textbooks means I have to work harder to succeed."
wait a second, THAT MAKES NO SENSE!

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]Pray that people in California have the common sense to block this measure.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, California and common sense to not seem to go together.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Unfortunately, California and common sense to not seem to go together.
[/quote]

Yes, there used to be Mom’s and Dad’s, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters. Now there are only parents, spouses, and siblings.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Unfortunately, California and common sense to not seem to go together.
[/quote]

Please. California has its share of loonies just like any other place, but we also have decent, ‘salt of the earth’ type folk who live quiet, unassuming lives. You just don’t hear about us as much because we’re not always on the news screaming about this or that; we’re actually out there working for a better world instead of just talking about it. If every state in the Union were to be judged by its most vocal residents, California would not be the only land of “fruits and nuts”. Try to exercise some charity where we are concerned and leave the generalisations at home.

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]“I refuse to settle for anything less than respect and equality in education,” 16-year-old Garrett Rubin stated at the event. “I shouldn’t have to be working so hard to get an education like everybody else.”[/font]

Yeah, and I had English teachers that gave girls better scores than guys based on sex. Hmm, don’t talk to me about working hard for a grade.

Oh, and PS, learning takes work. Moron. Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it. But don’t complain about something as irrelevant as that.

If he is trying to say that being gay causes you to be discriminated against by teachers more than having a learning diability or attention disorder, I fear I would have to disagree.

Eamon

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]Pray that people in California have the common sense to block this measure.
[/quote]

:amen:

[size=2]‘Mom,’ ‘dad’ to be axed%between%Headline by Lizzie Borden.
[/size]

[/quote]

They didn’t have enough common sense not to elect her. :frowning:

[quote=Brain]What I hear is "gender-specific language in textbooks means I have to work harder to succeed."
wait a second, THAT MAKES NO SENSE!
[/quote]

:nerd:Well, every time he comes across foreign terms that refer to a natural family unit, and being that he may not be in a natural family unit, these words could cause an episode of distress, making the mind wander as to why he is different, why the world cares, and in a twisted eventually, why the world discriminates against him because he is different. Since these words caused these thoughts, the thoughts have now taken him away from studying, causing him to have to take longer time to get through this text.</tongue in cheek> :rolleyes:

P.S. Since I am unaware of Garrett’s actual or perceived gender, I have used the terms “he” and “him” in the gender neutral sense. (You know, if you don’t know, use ‘he’ in English, oh wait, do they teach that in schools anymore?):wink:

I stiil maintain that there has to be some way we can give California back to either Spain or Mexico…

[quote=Timidity]Headline by Lizzie Borden.

[/quote]

Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother forty whacks.
And when she saw what she had done,
She gave her father forty-one.

[quote=JimG]Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother forty whacks.
And when she saw what she had done,
She gave her father forty-one.
[/quote]

sexist:
Parental gender, NO!
and Lizzie might not identify with the feminine gender, and thus the pronouns are all wrong!

everyone knows:
Gave Lizzie’s legal guardian and/or biological progenitor 40 whacks
and when Lizzie saw what Lizzie had done
Lizzie Gave Lizzie’s legal Guardian’s suggnificant other and/or Lizzie’s other biological progenitor, assuming that such a figure is presnt in Lizzie’s life, 41

[quote=Brain]sexist:
Parental gender, NO!
and Lizzie might not identify with the feminine gender, and thus the pronouns are all wrong!

everyone knows:
Lizzie Gave Lizzie’s legal Guardian’s suggnificant other and/or Lizzie’s other biological progenitor, assuming that such a figure is presnt in Lizzie’s life, 41
[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I love it!!!

[quote=Brain]sexist:
Parental gender, NO!

everyone knows:
[/quote]

WOW :eek: !!! Pure genius. I love it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: There’s my rating.

Myrna

I live in California and have for almost 12 of my almost 18 years.

The squawking minority are fruits and nuts.

Most of the general populace are apathetic religiously and politically, protesting things like the war in Iraq insofar as it suits current fashion to do so.

Another minority are what a previous poster said - decent people who disagree heartily with the actions of our state legislature.

Unfortunately, the malleable general populace tends to vote for things like inclusive language and homosexual marriages because most people have had it hammered into their heads, by thirty years of politically correct “tolerance is key” teachings in school, that everything is correct as long as there is a perceived benefit to it. I attended public school until I was sixteen (GED, whee!), and squirmed through four years of sexually explicit “health” classes, and, latterly, teachers freely dishing out personal insults to the President. I don’t care about disagreeing with somebody, but personal insults are a bit immature, especially by a teacher in charge of a roomful of, say, impressionable high school sophomores.

Just a quick caveat: Lizzie Borden was found Not guilty of the murder of her “parental units”, June 20, 1893, by the jury.

You axed for it.

So it appears that Spain is not the only one…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.