Mom of Mauled Boy Says People are More Concerned About the Dog

It’s very simple. When it’s a choice between spending money to protect an animal and spending money to protect a human being, you spend the money on the human being.

This doesn’t mean we should spend nothing on pets, but we shouldn’t make pets the center of our lives…a “god” if you will where the pet is the ultimate good.

Exactly. That is why what I quoted was too simplistic.

You expanded and explained. :thumbsup:

Yes. He left his dogs unsecured and unattended outdoors while he was at work. Also had an unsecured swimming pool. If any kid had drowned in his pool while he was away at work, I believe he would be held responsible there too.

Then there was the woman who let her little dog out in a Chicago suburb, only to later find that it had been carried off by a coyote. Had a neighbor not seen it take place, the coyote would have had the dog for lunch.

Providing jobs for people for the sake of providing jobs for people is not corporeally beneficial to humanity. If this were the case, involuntary unemployment would be a non-issue throughout human history, because we could invent arbitrary tasks to be performed and then create virtually limitless job vacancies through them. Poverty would continue unabated.

Veterinary & pet care is not arbitrary, since there is a demand being met, but it nonetheless is an issue of grave concern for our Holy Father. A demand to be met isn’t to say that those demands are partially or entirely morally good.

You are correct. He could even go to jail for some level of involuntary manslaughter or child abuse resulting in death.

When I was around 15 I put my hand over a fence to pat a dog. I did not know the house or the people. The dog of course bit me. I had trespassed into his territory. I did not even tell my parents, and was lucky no skin was broken. My hand was severely bruised however.

I knew that if I told my dad I had stuck my hand over a fence into someones yard he would have smacked me one. The dog’s warning was enough. In my day you did not even dare step on someone’s lawn without permission. Now it is nothing to see kids running in strangers yards, fighting on their lawns or even jumping fences. In cases like that, I find no sympathy for the kid, other than to ask what his/her parents are teaching them.

We were also taught to never: suddenly approach or touch a sleeping dog, to leave all animals alone when they were eating or that we did not know, and to always ask permission to touch someone’s animal. I think some old fashion common sense like this would help stop a lot of animal attacks. It is a horrible thing for any animal to be mistreated or poorly raised to such a degree that it is aggressive and may attack. It is also horrible that folks don’t seem to teach their children proper boundaries and common sense.

If one has a pool most communities require it be fenced and have a lockable gate. As for leaving dogs out all day, that is the action of a thoughtless or careless neighbor. Dogs tend to bark at people, cars, other animals, and ruin the peace and quiet of a neighborhood. Rottweilers, by the way are a breed that will usually get your homeowners insurance canceled in the US.

In our neighborhood, whenever a fire engine, police car or other emergency vehicle comes through with sirens going, it sends most all dogs that are outside into a terrible frenzy of barking, and howling.:eek:

I wonder if this is rather a case of people giving an appropriate level of attention to the dog and too little to the boy. I understand that people love animals, and they prefer the mercy given to the dog (defang, detooth, lifelong confinement) to it being put down. Fine, their activism has paid off.

I’ve read nothing to say that the boy’s bills are going to be taken care of by the dog’s owner. The owner may not be capable of doing so or may be beyond the reach of the law. If every one of those 59,000 people who liked the dog’s facebook page sent $1 to help the cost of treating the boy, the boy’s medical bills would be paid to date.

That said, I remember a case some years ago of an Akita (large breed, known for being aggressive) that attacked a 9-month-old boy. After the boy was taken to the ER, the boy’s father found the dog chained to a fence and beat it so severely with a baseball bat that it had to be put down:

articles.latimes.com/1995-08-09/local/me-33176_1_animal-cruelty

The father, who later expressed regret over killing the dog, was acquited of animal cruelty as the jury was more sympathetic to a father who feared losing a child than to a dog owner who lost a dog:

articles.latimes.com/1995-10-17/news/mn-57948_1_verdict

My opinion: we render dangerous people non-dangerous by removing them from society (or at least, we attempt to do so). We are justified in rendering dangerous animals non-dangerous as well. If we can do that in a humane sense (lock up and rehabilitate a criminal, or gently euthanize an animal), we ought to, but sometimes that’s not possible (ie, how often do we read of police shooting an unleashed dog, whether it is threatening or not?).

Wouldn’t have it been more humane to euthanize the dog? Solitary confinement (I guess no people and no other dogs) for a toothless dog just seems odd.

The dog won’t be able to understand why it’s toothless, why its alone.

A number of years ago, my cousin was bitten by his own dog. It bit him various times up and down his arms. The dog had to be euthanized.

editing: I misunderstood it. The dog is actually going to prison with humans.

The poor child will be facing more surgeries. :frowning:

You took the question right out of my mouth! Why “diabolical”? Am I Satan’s thrall because I have 8 kitties that I love? :confused:

closed #32

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.