Monastic Vocation

If you are a divorced Protestant (both husband and wife were baptized Southern Baptists) seeking to enter a Roman Catholic monastic vocation, what are your options besides getting an annulment?

In other words, can you take on a monastic vocation while having the status of “separated”?

The vocation director at the monastery you are interested in would be in the best position to guide you. Have you called and asked? The vocation director would know both what is required in terms of canon law and also what that particular monastery does in practice. Blessings as you pursue your vocation.

Firstly, you would need to be Catholic and have been in the Church for two or three years before communities will consider you - this is a basic requirement.

For the most part, the answer to your question is generally no - communities will usually require an annulment before they will consider you although I know of one exception.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit