Monergism.com

Hey all - I started reading a thread (ended up being closed) regarding www.aomin.org being the Protestant version of www.catholic.com.

I’d like to propose that a better comparison would be www.monergism.com - that’s where more answers are (regarding just debates) regarding Protestantism, specifically Calvinism.

Well the site you’ve suggested can hardly qualify as representing Protestantism at large, since it is emphatically Calvinist, hardly a majority position within Protestantism today. Whether it is the best site for entering into discussion about modern Calvinist theology and practice I couldn’t say.

Actually, Answers.org is the Protestant version of Catholic.com. Answers in Action is a Catholic-friendly Protestant apologetics site which I heard mentioned on CAL yesterday. AOMin and Monergism.com are just another drop in the anti-Catholic bucket.

As for monergism itself, it is the teaching that God is the only actor in one’s salvation (mono (one) + gist (actor)). It is true that we are saved by God’s grace alone, but you must read between the lines: monergism is always combined with the heresy of salvation by faith alone, so the result is a bigger heresy, a denial of human cooperation with the Holy Spirit (i.e. works) as being necessary for salvation. That, of course, is a contradiction: a human profession of faith is an act on the part of someone other than God to bring about salvation.

Monergism as the Calvinists teach it would result in all those who are unable to profess faith—abortion victims, infants, the mentally infirm and the invincibly ignorant—being lost to hell. We know this is impossible because God desires for these people to be saved (1 Tim 2:4), so we know that He can and does save them monergistically, by His own action, without reference to faith. (Hence the further irony that Calvinist monergism+faith alone denies God’s ability to unilaterally save souls.)

Doesn’t Paul use the Greek root for the word synergy to describe his relation to God?

1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are God’s fellow-workers (sunergoi); you are God’s field, God’s building.

And John:

3 John 1:8 We ought therefore to show hospitality to such men so that we may work together (sunergoi) for the truth.

Is the monergist argument that man deserves zero glory for election but that man does deserve some share of credit for other things like preaching and preserving the truth for the Church?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.