Monetary gift for baptism?

Is it appropriate to give a monetary donation/gift to either the parish priest or the parish when one has a child baptized?

Yes, I’m pretty sure that’s standard.

[quote=Scotty PGH]Is it appropriate to give a monetary donation/gift to either the parish priest or the parish when one has a child baptized?
[/quote]

My opinion is yes. I know it is “part of his job description” so to speak but for weddings, funerals it is customary so why not a Baptism? I think our Priests can always use a little extra cash. I know my former Priest was working on overload so I think it is appropriate to give him something monetary as a way of saying “we appreciate you!”

We had our first baptized last June and yes I gave our priest a monetary gift after the Baptism. I do not know if it was the norm but I do know it was appreciated. I love out parish Priest, he is a good man and works very hard. I also hope that this will buy me a trip to his favorute Turkey hunting spot! heh heh. :whistle:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.