money counters

Our priest is considering changing the process of counting the offetory (thank goodness). He has asked our input on how to make it run more smoothly. I know that our current method is a pain, but I’m not sure what to do to make it run more smoothly. We usually have 4-6 people counting…some count change, some count loose plate, some add checks and some count envelope cash and checks. It just seems confusing and no one seems to really know what the others are doing.
What method does your church use? Whats helpful and what’s not helpful?

Our parish hired a Business Manager. The money is put into a vault after mass…and the Business Manager counts it on Mondays…and then deposits the money in the bank. (from what we were told in a recent bulletin) Therefore, someone ‘professional’ is doing it…and not too many cooks in the kitchen…you know that old adage.:wink:

I have heard that this has made things considerably easier for our parish.

I would be concerned with the lack of oversight if the Bus. Mgr. is the only one doing the counting, with overseeing.

Quite simply, if the processes are set up in order to prevent any sort of temptation, then there will be no need for suspicion. While this person may be honest, will the next person be? One can’t be too careful.

I do believe there is an overseer…but no one counts the money but him, initially.

your diocese has a prescribed process in place, first better find out what your diocesan particular law has set down, then within that framework work out the details. Where, when and by whom is it counted, where is it kept before counting and before depositing, where, when and by whom deposited, who prepares and checks deposit ticket.

Business mgr and/or bookkeeper should not be the same person doing the counting, they should verify the deposit tickets and bank statements, but this is bad practice open to abuse, because if their is a discrepancy they have no way to defend themselves from accusations. The person who enters the data on collection from the envelopes and list of checks should also be a different person, and the computer or hand system periodically checked and audited by the business manager. Our diocese has a computerized system, automatically sent to the diocese for audit.

When money is transferred from storage to counting area, it should be at least two people for security, same as trip to the bank.

There should be team of counters, all trained by bookkeeper or business manager in how to do it, how do endorse checks, how to run totals, how to allocate special collections etc. The same people should not do the same job every week or every time, so that when discrepancies arise they are easily noticed: if loose cash is usually around $500 and that suddenly changes when one team counts, that is a red flag for instance.

Former parish had four teams, so you counted once a month, everybody was cross-trained so whoever showed up knew how to do each part of it. If someone can’t handle part of the job, counting change (an electric gadget that counts change and drops it in the sleeves is worth the investment), note loose check info etc. simply cannot serve in this ministry. Run tapes for all totals and keep until the collection is deposited and verified or for as long as diocesan guidelines dictate, same with envelopes. Pastor should verify deposit ticket before it goes to the bank.

Dual control is a good practice when handling cash. A single person supervised with a security camera is probably good enough. One person counting the cash is always a bad thing.

Those coin counters are awesome.

my :twocents:

To echo what PA said above, find out the guidelines from the Diocese.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.