Money issues - Need help!

To make a long story short, I have been struggling trying to find a job …I am basically broke right now. I recently just got offered a position but I don’t start until September 9, and the pay is only $12/hr. Anyway, I got another job that I can start right away, but I really don’t like the job but it pays well and also pays every week. The job is showing/displaying a Kirby vacuum cleaner in people’s homes, and I saw a lot of bad reviews, but I also read some good ones. I just want to make sure I am doing something legit, and not immoral. I am planning to start work on Monday, because I really just need money right now. But, the pay is a 1099, so let’s say I plan on quitting within 2 weeks or a month… what would happen with the 1099? Can someone give me some advice on what to do. Thank you, and God Bless!

If you were an employer, would you want to hire an employee that was going to quit within a month? “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

What do you mean by what would happen to the 1099? When you file your taxes for the end of the year, you would just list the amounts provided on the 1099 just like you would if it were a W-2. The only difference is that typically on a 1099 they don’t take out taxes for you, so you may end up owing money at the end of the year depending on what you make for the remainder of the year.

It sounds like they want you to be an “Independent Contractor.” That means that they are not going to take out federal or state taxes. They are also not going to pay the employer side of FICA, which means you will pay both sides. Remember, you would not be an employee.

It also sounds like you would be involved in home sales. That is, going into people’s homes to make a sale. That means that your earnings are directly tied to how many vacuums you can sell. How many people you can convince to allow you into their home. Generally home sales, like this, start with your family, friends and neighbors. How many vacuums do you think your family will buy?

My advice? Stay away from home sales.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

If I were an employer who employed people in low-paying jobs, I would expect high turnover and not really be concerned with someone quitting after weeks or a month. As a long time restaurant employee, I have trained countless people I can’t remember since the turnover is crazy. I have known other “restaurant lifers” who refuse to learn the names of new employees until they’ve been there a while. Also, employers don’t give 2 weeks notice, so I see no reason for commission/tip/low wage workers to do so either. For example, I know of at least 2 restaurants that pulled up stakes without giving any notice to employees, lest they quit before that final day. I imagine the loss of one door-to-door salesman would be of no consequence.

As a side note, I’ve always given notice although I do not judge those who don’t.

You never know, the other job might not work out or you may find you are a natural at sales. So the temporary job might be longer anyway.

I would give it a try, maybe as a previous poster said you will be a natural at sales.
But home sales is pretty undependable for a regular income.
Don’t give up on the job that starts on Sept 9.
You can always tell the vacuum cleaner people that you’ve learned you’re not good at sales.

I wouldn’t buy a vacuum from a door to door salesman. Kirby’s are too expensive. But maybe they have some excellent points that I’m not aware of.

Most people won’t buy from door to door sales.

That method may have been great 40 years ago, but now? Not so much. Forty years ago, lots of women didn’t work outside the home, nor did they have a car. So someone showing up at their door with what they needed, made sense.

OP,
How many women do you know that don’t have access to a car? How many of those are stay at home moms or full time house wives?

I am a stay at home house wife, but if I need something I shop on line or I go to the store. :shrug:

Also, if you do end up doing this home sales job? Make sure you aren’t expected to pay for training or supplies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.