Monks Brawl at Jerusalem Shrine

Just read this on BBC News. What do you think?

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7718587.stm

This happens every year.

Are you serious? Wow it’s the first time I ever heard of such a thing. I guess I need to pay closer attention.

Oh yeah, this is a regular occurrence. The monks have divvied up the church into zones of control and often fight because someone has set foot where they shouldn’t have.

IIRC, things have been so bad for so long that the only person in the world entrusted with a key to the place is a muslim caretaker.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a creative solution to a vexing problem, but it is a sad commentary on the lack of christian unity that such a solution is necessary.

“…An Armenian clergyman said the Greek clergy had tried to place one of their monks inside the Edicule, an ancient structure which is said to encase the tomb of Jesus…The Greeks have tried so many times to put their monk inside the tomb but they don’t have the right to when the Armenians are celebrating the feast.”

This could all be solved if the Armenian’s placed a Monk-Lock on the Edicule…of course, the Greek’s would probably counter with a Monk-Key.

This event is an absolute scandal and these monks should be totally ashamed of themselves.

This sort of thing brings Christianity into disrepute in the eyes on non-Christians. The behaviour of the monks is un-Christian in the extreme. How can we possibly try to convert the world when so-called Christian brethren can’t even work together?

I am afraid it tends to confirm a suspicion I have that the Orthodox Churches are far too ethnically based, far too territorial and not truly universal. They seem to have these violent disagreements with each other far too often.

As an Eastern monk who has had friends work at the Holy Sepulchre, may I say something?

If there is ANY way the secular media can mess up anything about anybody’s church, especially an Eastern one, they will find it.

There might well be something going on that the secular media has NOT reported.

You have a point. The mainstream media is notorious for messing up both religion and science articles. I guess both are too far from the field of knowledge of the reporters.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.