Monks/friars that celebrate Tridentine Mass?

Are there any monk or friar orders that celebrate the Mass in the Tridentine Rite? I don’t mean FSSP or Institute of Christ the King, but something like the Benedictine monks, but instead of celebrating the Novus Ordo in community, they would celebrate the Tridentine.

There are plenty :slight_smile:

In the United States,

Benedictines of Our Lady of the Annunciation Abbey of Clear Creek
Monks of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel

Canons Regular of New Jerusalem

In Europe,

Abbey of Saint-Madeleine (Le Barroux)
Abbey of Notre-Dame de Randol
Benedictine Abbey of Notre-Dame de Fontgombault
Benedictine Abbey of Notre-Dame de Gaussan
Benedictine Abbey of Sainte-Marie de la Garde (St. Pierre de Clairac)
Benedictine Abbey of Notre-Dame de Triors
Canons Regular of the Mother of God
Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer

• The Carmelite Monks use the Rite of the Holy Sepulchre, the traditional Carmelite liturgy, rather then the Roman Rite.

Only three? I don’t think the Carmelite Monks are for me, and I have a hard time getting any information on the canons regular of New Jerusalem.

The Carmelites are cloistered and right now they are in a temporary location, yet they are growing substantially. The Clear Creek Benedictines are also growing, and they are currently constructing a magnificent new monastery with a beautiful romanesque church.

The Canons of New Jerusalem are more active, though they are a small order still. They were founded by Archbishop Burke, are based in St. Louis. If you want more information, email their vocations director- vocations@canonsregular.com

are the Clear Creek Benedictines cloistered?

They are a contemplative order, but visitors are welcome on retreats and are allowed to attend Mass and the Offices. Women and families can stay at the quest lodge, while men are allowed to stay at the monastery itelf, and interact and take meals with the monks.

I find it kinda shocking how few there are. I would of thought that some of the more contemplative orders would gravitate towards the more contemplative Tridentine Mass.

Many of the young men who are active in traditional circles, who have vocations, are tending to go to the priesthood in societies like the FSSP and ICRSS over the monastic life.

There are a few reasons why this is so. Many today, even traditionalists, are simply ignorant of the monastic life (in my High School religion class I was told that monks no longer existed). Overall, the traditional movement in the Church is quite young- Ecclesia Dei was only issued in 1988, and Summorum Pontificum just this past summer. The traditional monasteries that do exist are rapidly growing, and as the ranks of their monks swell more monasteries will be founded.

In the monastery I’m looking at joining, the community celebrates with the NO, but if a monk (who is also a priest) wants to celebrate the Tridentine mass, they can do it in private. I’m not that surprised there aren’t as many contemplative orders that say the latin mass because i’ve been told that they want to follow the Rule of St. Benedict, and “Sing praises wisely;” and “Let us take part in the psalmody in such a way that our mind may be in harmony with our voice” (Rule, Ch. 19) Each community is able to decide on whether or not it is going to use the NO or Latin. This option was opened up late sixties and many monasteries decided to use the NO.

• The Carmelite Monks use the Rite of the Holy Sepulchre, the traditional Carmelite liturgy, rather then the Roman Rite.

I put a plug in for the Clear Creek monks!!! My uncle is there! :smiley:

I don’t get your point.

Is it your implication that celebration of the older form precludes a monk to be able to “Sing praises wisely;” or “take part in the psalmody in such a way that our mind may be in harmony with our voice”???

Please explain.

I personally don’t think that, but is what i was told. I think that the Older form obviously fits into the rule of St. Benedict as many saints have come from monasteries using the older form of the mass. I’m just trying to give a reason as to why some monasteries opted to use the NO. Maybe i did a bad job explaining it, so I’ll try to find the original question and answer and post it:

Question:
The liturgy celebrated at New Melleray Abbey is in English (I’m pretty sure). Why did the New Melleray community decide to worship in English and not the traditional Latin? Would a monk who is a priest be allowed to celebrate the Latin Mass in private or for the community? Thanks, Joe

Response:
Yes, our priests may celebrate the Mass in Latin, but not at our concelebrated community Eucharist.

In 1969 our community decided to worship in English because we want to follow the Rule of St. Benedict, “Sing praises wisely;” and “Let us take part in the psalmody in such a way that our mind may be in harmony with our voice” (Rule, Ch. 19).

By way of comparison, it is easier to understand the Bible by reading it in English than in a Latin translation. This is the principle that moved St. Jerome to translated the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures into Latin so that Christians of his time could read and pray the Word of God in their own language.
United States

The Clear Creek Monks celebrate a modified form of the 1962 missal (close to the 1965 missal) for High Mass. But for Low Mass, I believe it is the 1962 missal exactly. But they are a wonderful monastic group, and I pray God bless them abundantly.

There is also the monestary at Fontgombault.

Cloister Outreach has many proposed charisms, and any that are for the women are open to a male counterpart as well.

cloisters.tripod.com/

We are gathering aspirants for the male counterpart community of our Reparatrix Society of Our Lady of the Cloister (Cloisterites), and will be starting the women’s branch sometime this year.

cloisters.tripod.com/cloisterites/

Blessings,
Cloisters

check on phatmass.com the Vocations Forum on this.

one of the regular members, EJames2 ,has a definitive list, including video links picture links, etc., of communities world-wide which offer the Tri mass, and he knows how often they do so. He is a walking (or writing!) encyclopedia on this subject. Gemma also knows a lot.

I have been asked to provide an update for the Canons Regular of the Mother of God. This website apparently is in English:

www.lagrassecanons.com

I am a 53 year old diocesan priest who celebrates the Tridentine Mass (and more & more wants to celebrate nothing but the Tridentine Mass). I am feeling more and more attracted to the monastic life (where the Tridentine Mass is celebrated) but no one seems interested in a “new” vocation of such advanced age. Any suggestions??

Cloister Outreach sponsors a vocations group for those who are attracted to the TLM/EFLR.

groups.yahoo.com/group/Ecclesia_Dei_Vocations/

Have you heard of the group at St. John Cantius in Chicago?

I’m sure some of our EDV group members would have some suggestions.

Blessings,
Cloisters

Yes, I’ve heard of SJC in Chicago but haven’t pursued it any further. Thanks, also, for the “heads up” on EDV.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.