Monotheism

I have read time and time again on this forum that Christians and Muslims worship different gods. Frankly, I am tired of it so I am going to dedicate a post to this subject.

If you are a Jew, Christian or Muslim than you are a monotheist. That means you believe there is only one God. Period. End of discussion. If you are a member on one of the above listed faiths, as am I, than you should not believe in more than one God. If you do please speak to a Rabbi, Priest, Reverend or Imam.

If you are from a polytheistic religion, than by all means believe in as many gods as you wish.

Now that we have established that Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in one God the question of different gods is out.

If you wish to claim a particular faith has a false understanding of God feel free, that is your right. If you wish to claim a religion is man made and really not worshiping God at all, feel free that is also your right. If you wish to claim a religion is actually worshiping Satan in the guise of God that too is your right, though I am pretty sure you will not be long for this fine forum.

So please my friends lets drop the whole “different god” line and say what we really mean.

Thank you all for allowing me to vent a bit.

May God bless each of you.

Peace,

George

Thank you George for the education. I have one question does this mean the Muslims, Jews and Christians all believe that the one God has three persons. Or are you just generally speaking of God.

Just answer my simple question. Why didnt you become a Muslim if we worship one true God? What makes you believe Jesus is God while Muslims believe you worship a prophet not God? You cant just make everything simple by saying we are monotheism! Muslims never consider you are a monotheism, infact you are worshipping a prophet NOT God and you are associating Jesus as God and thats in Islam they call syrik. That is the biggest unforgivable sin in Islam. Why never learn from what muslims here say many times that we worship a prophet and 3 gods!!

Everyone on this forum can believe whatever they wish of me, however that does not change the fact that there are not different gods, there is only one God. That is the point of this thread and it really is that simple.

If Muslims, or anyone else, wishes to refuse my profession that there is only one God, and they believe I am sinning against God, well that is their belief, not mine. If anyone wishes to say I have a false or misguided understanding of God, as I said in my initial post that is their right to do so.

Muslims can say over and over that we Christians worship three gods and Jesus was only a prophet. Their failure to understand and accept the Trinity and the true nature of Jesus does not affect my faith in the Trinity or my belief that Jesus is God incarnate who walked among us so that we could learn from His example and to free us from our sins.

I believe the Catholic faith to be the one true faith of God. What others think will not change my belief. Why should I care what others think? It is what God knows that I care about.

I know you are disappointed in how I deal with Islam Cyber Knight. In a PM a month or so ago you found it odd that I have more respect of some Muslims than I do some Christians. I know you have had many bad experiences with Muslims. I have not. I have know precisely two Muslims and they were intelligent, honest and God fearing people. On the other hand I have had to deal with Chick Tracts left under my windshield wipers, anti-Catholic mail, snide remarks from co-workers based on what they read in the *De Vinci Code * and walking through protesters to attend Mass with signs reading; Our Lady of Sodom, Fag Priests and God hates you. This from my follow “Christians”.

My desire to learn and discuss, and not to argue and be inflammatory, on this forum has been questioned by a few of my fellow Catholics now. If this is how you see God’s charge to bring the truth to all nations or simply to make you feel better feel free. If you just want to argue go ahead, though I see no point in it. Acting like an *** will not bring another soul closer to God. In fact you are most certainly driving them away from God’s faith. Like I said, I have had enough abuse without subjecting myself to it on this forum.

Christians and Muslims will either learn to respect each other or we will all kill each other. I hope it is the former and if so I will learn about what my Muslims friends believe and if not, I will know the ways of my enemy.

Peace,

George

What do u want to learn fm them? In the same post you say that its their failure to understand Jesus incarnation. Pls make up your mind. 2 good muslims around you is not a parameter to judge whether they really a god fearing and on the right path. We are talking about monotheism not about violent muslims. Im just positioning myself fm muslims point of view that we worship 3 gods and if that thought is none of your business then why you open monotheism thread? Not enough on Do we worship the same God? Great posters we have there fm muslims and christians. So pls before tell others publicly our old PM, correct yourself. I wont comment any further about this matter. So please go on discussing about monotheism with valuable posters here.

The Second Vatican Council’s Declaration on the Church in Relation to Non-Christian Religions makes clear that Catholics, Jews and Moslems - and even protestants for that matter - worship the same God.

The Catholic Church is endowed by God with - and has ever preserved faithfully and without error - the fullness of divine revelation of the truth about that One God, is all. The others worship that same God with varying kinds and degrees of inaccuracy, error and infidelity.

Perhaps, the best way to put it would be that Muslims, Jews, and some others worship the same God, but think of Him incorrectly? Or at least inadequately? I don’t know. I sympathize with all parties posting. On the one hand, Muslims recognize that there is one Creator of all things; and so they share this with our Jewish brethren and with us. On the other hand, both the Muslims and the Jews have an insufficient doctrine of God because they do not accept the revelation in Christ that God is revealed to be three persons in one substance: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

[quote=tjmiller]The Second Vatican Council’s Declaration on the Church in Relation to Non-Christian Religions makes clear that Catholics, Jews and Moslems - and even protestants for that matter - worship the same God.

The Catholic Church is endowed by God with - and has ever preserved faithfully and without error - the fullness of divine revelation of the truth about that One God, is all. The others worship that same God with varying kinds and degrees of inaccuracy, error and infidelity.
[/quote]

Thank you TJ, btw, excellent post. I will also point out that some Hindus are arguably monotheist insofar as they hold that all particular gods are just theophanies of the one divine substance, Brahman.

Cyber Knight,

I majored in History and Anthropology so peoples and cultures interest me, I like learning about them. That does not mean I have to agree with them. The Yanoma Indians of South America also interest me though I don’t agree with many of their practices. CAF is a resource for me to learn about other cultures and religions firsthand. I wish more Jews were on this forum so I could learn about them as well though I do not agree with them about everything.

You are correct, two Muslims does not a majority make. One was Algerian and the other Pakistani so culturally I have no basis either. My point was those two people were God fearing. I don’t know if all Muslims are good people I have only known two.

Why did I start this thread? Because so many Christians on this forum have claimed we worship different gods. I, as well as all Christians, should be true monotheist, believing there is only one God. To say someone worships a different god is polytheistic. I just asked for people to consider that and say what they mean instead of continuing to relay on a statement that, based on their own faith, is false.

If you were simply stating a common Muslim belief that we worship three gods than I misunderstood what you were saying. If they believe that than their notion of true monotheism is critically flawed.

My apologies if I spoke out of turn about our PM. It was my intent to only comment on my statement to you and my reasoning. If I have offended you I humbly ask your pardon.

All,

My statement on a previous post was not met to imply Cyber Knight has had issues with members of this forum. To the best of my knowledge she has not. Please do not think she has ever spoke ill of any member of this forum to me. If you must take issue, than it is with I.

Tjmiller and DreadVandel,

Thank you both for your posts.

Peace,

George

[quote=DreadVandal]Perhaps, the best way to put it would be that Muslims, Jews, and some others worship the same God, but think of Him incorrectly? Or at least inadequately? I don’t know. I sympathize with all parties posting. On the one hand, Muslims recognize that there is one Creator of all things; and so they share this with our Jewish brethren and with us. On the other hand, both the Muslims and the Jews have an insufficient doctrine of God because they do not accept the revelation in Christ that God is revealed to be three persons in one substance: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
[/quote]

Of all that could be known about God, I wonder how much Christians know? Muslims? Jews? Hindus? I’d say all four are infinitely ignorant.

[quote=DreadVandal]Thank you TJ, btw, excellent post. I will also point out that some Hindus are arguably monotheist insofar as they hold that all particular gods are just theophanies of the one divine substance, Brahman.
[/quote]

There are striking similarities between the Hindu and Christian concepts of God.

[quote=DreadVandal]Thank you TJ, btw, excellent post. I will also point out that some Hindus are arguably monotheist insofar as they hold that all particular gods are just theophanies of the one divine substance, Brahman.
[/quote]

Exactly the same has been said of Ancient Egyptian theism - the very concept of polytheism is rather uncertain, because so many gods turn out to be forms of other ones. Angels and patron saints are little more than minor divinities, from one POV. We have a High God-Triad; a mother-figure who is equivalent to a Divine consort; a heavenly court composed of lesser deities; demons; and personal gods. They can all be conceived of as avatars or manifestations of the High God.

It makes for considerable difficulty in separating “paganism” from Christianity - Christianity is basically the same thing as “paganism”, in many ways; with some differences in the relations between phenomena.

If we worship the same God as Muslims, we’re still infidels. Period!

Don’t forget Jews frown upon this as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.