Montana City Asks Job Applicants for Online Passwords

"Would you want a potential employer scanning your Facebook wall or clicking through photos of you with family and friends?
Well, if you apply for a job with the city of Bozeman, Mont., you might run that risk.
On the city’s Web site, a waiver statement for background and reference checks asks job applicants to release information about personal, professional and social networking Web sites, including log-in information and passwords.
“Please list any and all, current personal or business web sites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.,” the document reads."
abcnews.go.com/Technology/JobClub/story?id=7879939&page=1

I don’t post anything on my facebook I won’t want I an employer to see. I would never, however accept a friend request from an employer or potiential employer. I would never disclose I have a facebook to and employer or potiential employer in the first place.

How long before that one gets challenged in court?? Good grief.

What facism. As a general rule, my thoughts that I share with friends and family are just that - mine. It is none of their business. You do have to admit, however, that anything you put out on the internet is liable to be intercepted and read by others whether you want them to or not. A great rule of thumb is never put anything on a social networking site or blog that you wouldn’t want your mom or your priest to see. Then you have nothing to worry about. But a business or govt organization asking employees or potential employees to disclose a private username and password to a non-work-related site or system is not only bone-headed (come on, it’s just asking for a law suit), but it seems like play out of an Orwellian 1984 society.

[ that the city’s background check document asked potential hires to “list any and all, current personal or business websites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.”

Detractors viewed the policy as an invasion of privacy, as well as a violation of many sites’ terms of service.

“The city of Bozeman believes we have a responsibility to ensure candidates hired for positions of public trust are subject to a thorough background check,” the city said Friday. “The extent of our request for a candidate’s password, username, or other Internet information appears to have exceeded that which is acceptable to our community.”

Bozeman, MT Ditches Username, Password Requestspress releaseit was revealed](“http://www.appscout.com/2009/06/bozeman_mt_ditches_username_pa.php”)

I assume they have a city attorney/corporation counsel or whatever – a lot of grief could have been saved if they had checked with (or listened to?) him/her before starting this ridiculous policy.

Glad they overturned that practice.

I would never admitted I had one (if I did, which I do not, but my kids do).

Me too, even though I have one.

Give them your passwords then immediately change them. :onpatrol:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.