Month of Mary

Someone asked me yesterday if it was true that October is the month of Mary. I had always heard that May was the month of Mary.

Any insights?

May is Mary’s month, but we celebrate “Our Lady of the Rosary” October 7th, which commemorates the naval victory of Lepanto over the Turks. The pope at the time, St. Pope Pius V, had asked the all of Europe to pray the rosary for victory because the Turks were poised to invade Italy. The victory was won, even though the odds were stacked against the Catholic forces, freeing many Christian slaves on board the Turkish ships.

October is more properly called the month of the Rosary.

I have a copy of MY TREASURY OF CHAPLAETS, by Patricia S. Quintiliani. Here is the list from page 2

January The Holy Name of Jesus
February The Holy Family
March Saint Joseph
April The Blessed sacrament
May The Blessed Virgin Mary
June The Sacred Heart
July The Precious Blood
August The Immaculate Heart of Mary
September Our Lady of Sorrows

At this point a footnote states that some European Countreies use September for The Holy Guardian Angels

October The Holy Rosary

November The Holy Souls in Purgatory (my primary purpose at this point in time

December The Immaculate Conception

The book notes that some months may have other Dedications as well.

Same list is observed in my parish with a few variations: Holy Guardian Angels also gets a mention in October and the Holy Cross was kept together with Our Lady of Sorrows.

The feast actually underwent a name change- originally it was 'Most Holy Rosary of the BVM". At the daily Rosary in my parish the old Collect from that feast is still said afterward

O God Whose only begotten Son by His life, death and Resurrection has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant we beseech You that meditating upon these mysteries in the most holy rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary we may both imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen

My pastor mentioned that there will be recitation of the rosary once a week during the month of October.

October is the month of the Rosary, and also of Respect for Life Sunday (Oct. 7 this year).

Yes. In addition to Rosary on Mondays in October, my parish is also having Rosary for life this Sunday. :thumbsup:

May is especially Mary’s month.
October is the month of the Rosary with the focus especially on October 7th – feast day of “Our Lady of the Rosary”. Mary is Queen of the Rosary (among many other titles).

“The feast of the Holy Rosary was established by Saint Pius V on the anniversary of the naval victory won by the Christian fleet at Lepanto, October 7, 1571. The victory was attributed to the help of the holy Mother of God whose aid was invoked through praying the Rosary.”

I just found out that Pope Leo XIII wrote a quantity of encyclicals on the Rosary. For example, see

vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_01091883_supremi-apostolatus-officio_en.html

So those of us who love the Rosary (and are still relatively new to it) have some more really good reading to do.

jmm08

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.