Monty Python and the Holy Grail

“What’s so special about the cheesemakers?”

“Oh you see, it’s not meant to be taken literally, it’s symbolic of any manufacturer of dairy products.”

LOL

Still, I don’t think it’s making fun of Jesus.

No, not at all - it’s making fun of a group of theologians called “The Jesus Seminar” who tend to misquote Scripture and then construct fabulous, scholarly exegesis based on their accidental misquotes.

There is also a joke - how does the Jesus Seminar understand the stop sign?

Answer: Because of the difficulties in interpretation, they amend the text, changing “T” to “H”. “SHOP” is much easier to understand in context than “STOP” because of the multiplicity of stores in the area. Explanation: The textual corruption probably occurred because “SHOP” is so similar to “STOP” on the sign several streets back that it is a natural mistake for a scribe to make. Thus the sign should be interpreted to announce the existence of a shopping area.

:smiley:

I used to think it was a great movie. Then it turned me into a newt. I got better, though. :shrug: Now go get me a shrubbery!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.