Moonshine maestro gets 18 months

citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009901270316

Moonshine maestro gets 18 months

GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – A federal judge sentenced Marvin “Popcorn” Sutton to 18 months in prison on moonshining and weapons charges Monday, rejecting arguments that Sutton deserved a sentence of probation because he had reformed and was too ill to serve prison time.
http://www.citizen-times.com/graphics/adlabel_horz.gif
OAS_AD(‘ArticleFlex_1’);

But Ronnie Greer, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Tennessee, ruled that Sutton deserved prison time and was healthy enough to serve it.
“A probationary sentence would do absolutely nothing to deter you from further crimes,” Greer said. “To do so would send a message that this court will tolerate repeated violations of the law. To do so would promote disrespect for the law.”

Sutton, who has had several felony convictions dating back to the 1970s, was arrested in March at his home in Parrottsville, Tenn., and accused of running a moonshining operation that produced hundreds of gallons of liquor.

He pleaded guilty in April to charges of illegal production of distilled spirits and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon.
Sutton was sentenced to 18 months in prison on each charge, with the sentences to be served concurrently.

It’s good to know Uncle Sam is on top of the War on Moonshine. :thumbsup:

Btw, I’ve never understood concurrent sentences – it seems like a “buy one, get one free” sale.

I’ve never understood exactly why folks can’t produce their own liquor.Is it just about collecting the taxes?Can you distill small amounts for home consumption like you do wine?
With the economy the way it is there may be more folks going back to bootleg whiskey operations again.

Well, one reason is that if you do it wrong, you literally blind folks with bad alcohol. That has happened quite a lot.

As cheap as liquor is, I never understood why anyone would drink moonshine. I guess its for folks in dry counties or something.

Yes, I’ve heard of folks making bad whiskey but you could also die from botulism from home -canned goods that weren’t processed correctly.
I bet it’s more about the taxes.

"While quality control and sanitation are probably not of the utmost importance to many people who drink moonshine (after all, alcohol kills many bateria, right?), people are sometimes concerned about whether or not the moonshine they just bought is safe to drink. After all, people go blind from drinking bad moonshine, and it has also been known to cause neurological damage, including paralysis.

Moonshiners often add some “extra” ingredients, either intentionally or accidently, in the process of distilling their liquor.
Some of these include:

• lye
• rubbing alcohol
• wood alcohol
• paint thinner
• bleach
• formaldehyde
• embalming fluid
• chemical fertilizers
• manure

Depending on the type of still used, pine pitch or lead often leeches into the liquor. The lead is particularly dangerous because it is virtually undectable, and if consumed lead has a cumulative effect in the human body.

While the mash is fermenting in a still in the woods, it is not uncommon for insects and small animals to come and drink from the still. They can fall in and sink to the bottom of the mash. "

ibiblio.org/moonshine/drink/health.html

Thanks for the info.Glad I’m still alive after having consumed a bit of moonshine years ago.But the agents who look for stills are not from the local health dept.
Still think it’s more about the taxes.
Shoot, we have a peanut butter plant down here that’s spreading salmonella all over the United States.Killer peanut butter.:wink:

I feel so much safer.:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.