Moral law and CCC

I am reading and trying to understand moral and natural law. Natural is in our hearts. but is nature perfect? I think God, a perfect being creates out of love with no need to do so. But he creates to give others life so they can perfect themselves in accordance to his path (evolution of man). Now what I’m reading in §1953 is “For Christ is the end of the law, so that everyone who has faith may be justified.” What does that mean? Civil law is totally out of whack. I didn’t know nature was perfect. And God’s eternal law seems to be what would be just and good and perfect. A perfect being. We will be like him and perfect eventually I believe. But the difference…we are still “created” beings and God is alone in that he is not created.

What does that scripture saying above from §1953?

Bill

That quote is from Romans 10, in which St Paul is writing to the gentile church there. Here he is talking about Israel and their reliance on the law (meaning the law of Moses) to justify them, without acknowledging Christ. St Paul is saying that the law leads straight to Christ, and it is Christ, not the law, that will make any man righteous.

Ok so Christ makes us righteous by use following his commandments. So there’s a Jewish or Christian Commandment. Does Jesus make us righteous through the sacraments?

Bill

The sacraments are critical, yes. We must be baptised - the first sacrament of salvation. We must receive the Eucharist and go to confession (when in mortal sin).

Yes, practising the sacraments is the most concrete way for Christ to work in us.

This is not to say that salvation is not possible to those who do not join the Catholic Church and practise the sacramanents - that is though another matter and not for this particular topic.

Nor is it to say that our doing certain things achieves salvation - it is the gift of God, not something anyone earns through doing things. But we may say that doing those things is how we accept the gift.

Following the law - mosaic or Catholic - will never make us righteous in itself. Only Christ can achieve it for us.

Christ justifies us initially via grace - the gifts of faith and baptism. Making us a new creation - in Christ.

Compendium of the Catechism issued by Pope Benedict XVI

THE MORAL LAW

1. What is the moral law?

1950-1953
1975-1978

The moral law is a work of divine Wisdom. It prescribes the ways and the rules of conduct that lead to the promised beatitude and it forbids the ways that turn away from God.

1. In what does the natural moral law consist?

1954-1960
1978-1979

The natural law which is inscribed by the Creator on the heart of every person consists in a participation in the wisdom and the goodness of God. It expresses that original moral sense which enables one to discern by reason the good and the bad. It is universal and immutable and determines the basis of the duties and fundamental rights of the person as well as those of the human community and civil law.

1. Is such a law perceived by everyone?

Because of sin the natural law is not always perceived nor is it recognized by everyone with equal clarity and immediacy.

For this reason God “wrote on the tables of the Law what men did not read in their hearts.” (Saint Augustine)

Find that section and keep reading …it gets into the relationship of the Law and the Natural Law and the New Law etc etc

Start with 415 and keep reading. (Not allowed to post that much here…)

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

The thing is I would think people would be too corrupt to follow natural law.?? :shrug: Some of the reading is hard.

Bill

Right.

They yes can be.

Though they can also live some aspects but go against others.

It is not that it is “followed” but that it exists. It is there -even if they have rejected it or due not recognize it well…

“Because of sin the natural law is not always perceived nor is it recognized by everyone with equal clarity and immediacy.”

So you just have to stay in grace and practice devotions or something. And of course the Eucharist.

Bill

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.